PDA

View Full Version : Last Time!

BHTArrows
11-23-2012, 10:48 AM
At least I hope this is the last time I head to the woods with my 1895 Cowboy loaded with factory loads. Everything I need to start reloading should be here next week and I'll start the process of building the right loads for my baby. This is just a little warning.......I might have lots of questions.

jixxerbill
11-23-2012, 12:45 PM
getting a deer with your handloads will be very rewarding, then cast your own boolits and get a deer.. it will make you feel very good about yourself that you have done everything yourself.. Im still telling my friends about how i cast the boolit that killed my deer.. thay ask how many points did it have i say who cares !!! did you hear me, I cast the boolit that got it lol..
good luck on the hunt...Bill

BHTArrows
11-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes it will be rewarding, just like the arrows I build and the broadheads I make from old saw blades. It is very special to take an animal with something you have made yourself.

Crawdaddy
11-29-2012, 01:56 PM
It is very rewarding. Got my first CB deer 2 years or so ago. I got my first one with the 1895 this year. One thing I will do different for the 1895 is pay attention to the hardness of the lead. Mine plowed right through with no expansion.

Good luck!

richhodg66
11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
I kind of got a late start seriously deer hunting, didn't really put much effort into it til I was 30 or so. I've always been a gun nut and a reloading nut for the past 22 years or so (I grew up around it, so knew a lot about it before I started on my own.

Of the two dozen or so deer I've killed, exactly one was with a round of factory ammo, all my muzzle loader ones have been with my home cast and now a few of the cartridge ones too. My only bow kill was with a cedar shaft and Zwickey broadhead I picked out and put together so it kinda counts too. You'll enjoy the hunting more when you personalize your ammo.