PDA

View Full Version : Zoli Zouave

Nikkisdad
11-23-2012, 09:01 AM
I need input really fast. I have found for sale a brand new zoli zouave that has not been shot for sale. The appearance is that it has aged while in storage, no dings, rust marks etc. Does not have the original box (say's that it came in plane cardboard box at the time and no paperwork. The asking price is $650.00 which does include shipping. What do you guy's think of this, should I go for it or get something else. Oh, he stated that these are sought after because they have cut rifling and can be very accurate once a proper load has been worked up. Please let me know Thanks Manny

Nobade
11-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I think that sounds like about twice what they usually go for. But they do seem to be pretty good rifles, though IIRC not approved for skirmishing if that is what you wanted to do.

bob208
11-23-2012, 11:50 AM
the price is high. they are good shooters and they are approved. some teams will not let you use them though.

i got one off of auction arms about 1 year agoit is new. price was $325 plus $25 shipping.

zoli was the manufacturer they were made for sears navyarms and others.

Nikkisdad
11-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Keep the advice coming guy's, I have seen them advertised used for half the price of the one I am contemplating. Who has th best prices on Pedersolis, I like the 1861 Springfield and there Enfield's also, Dixie and Cabela's want top dollar from what I have seen.

fouronesix
11-23-2012, 05:15 PM
650 seems a little high- 400 would be more reasonable for a good one. I have one. The fit and finish is not even close to that of an original- somewhat sloppy. The sights, just like the originals, aren't the best for accurate shooting and will have to be dealt with. The lock is fair to midlin but the trigger, sear, let off is very good. I don't know the date of manufacture of mine and don't know the date codes or serial dates of Zolis.

But, having said all that, mine shoots very well! I load with 53 gr FFF BP under an RCBS North-South Skirmish mold that drops at about .582-4" using a soft alloy of roughly 40-1. I put a dab of Crisco in the base and a little smeared around the shank. It shoots as well as my original, high condition Rem M63 Zouave. Averaging about 1" groups at 50 yards from a rest.

As for best prices for repro Civil War era muskets? Just have to shop around- classifieds, online, locally, gun shows, guns shops, word of mouth, for sale section of this forum, etc.

HARRYMPOPE
11-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Be patient and you will get one for under $300.A shop here in Kennewick WA has a PH 1858 for $399 that is 100% British.If i didn't have two of them I'd be all over it.The sights on the 1858 are much better than the Zoave.They shoot under 2.5 MOA quite a bit of the time.

G-

Nikkisdad
11-24-2012, 02:35 PM
G - do you think this dealer would be willing to sell over the net to me, possibly take a few pics etc. Let me know, I would appreciate tthe info...regards Manny