PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving

Love Life
11-22-2012, 10:24 PM
" So there we were in a building we had taken over a month ago. Today started out rather eventfully in the morning with a Marine being shot in the ear. The bullet went right through the lobe, and out the back of the helmet. The idiot learned a lesson and should have kept his head down. 2 more inches to the left and he would be pushing daisies right now (nasty undisciplined 2d Squad). The day dragged on as usual. 1st squad (my squad) pulled overwatch today so 6 hours on and 6 hours off. Eyes to the binos and ACOGs looking for something to shoot. I am lucky and I am a team leader so I get to bounce from post to post checking on the guys.
Weapons maintenance was done and all we could do was watch. It's funny how people see deployments. The folks back home think we are out busting in doors and snooping and pooping 24/7. While we do spend a large amount of time engaged in door kicking (good ol' MOUT) we also spend time cycling through to QRF and LPs/OPs as rest cycles. Plus after last week they are trying to give us a break. Last week was very bad. We will get our revenge eventually. Back to today. We were watching as usual. After the initial excitement in the morning all was quiet. Good. It has been a rough 3 months so far.
About the time our squad's watch cycle is done we get the call on the 119F. Small convoy headed our way from Camp Ramadi. "***? Who are these bozos?" We are angry because the last thing we need today is the higher ups coming out to get in out **** about having dirty cammies and no hair cuts. I'm not sure if anybody told them, but there is a war on... Oh well. So we wait for the boots and pogs to get to us so they could ruin our day. They pull in and SgtMaj jumped out. This is a good sign. SgtMaj Pointer actually cares about us and isn't just chasing a CAR to look cool at the birthday ball. Stupid pogs...
He tells us to go unload the highback. Neat. A working party at 2300 on Thanksgiving. What did we see when we get there? Vats!!!! We carried the suckers in and it was turkey with all the fixins. Hell they even brought us ice cream!!!! So we thank them profusely, and promise to take showers and get haircuts when we get back to a rear base. We see the REMFs off on their way and go in to dish out the goods. 3rd Squad had watch so we got to eat at our leisure. We don't have any power so we stacked a few of our weapons against the wall and turned the surefires on. That gave us enough light. All of us who are left from 1st squad sat around and talked about what we are thankful for. All of us are thankful to still be alive, many said they were thankful for other squad members moms (heavy inuendos). All was good.
Well mom that is pretty much how our thanksgiving went. I will try to give you a call in about a month if we can get anywhere near a phone."

That was a letter I sent on thanksgiving back in 2006. I had to take out alot of acronyms, but the majority is there. I am thankful for many things, but that year was the best and worse thanksgiving I have ever had. I don't know why I posted it here, but whenever turkey day comes around I can't help but think back on those times and smile. We were cold and miserable, but we had each other, full bellies, and there was even a new hustler floating around. Life was simple and good.

I hope you have all had a blessed day. Enjoy the little things and have a very happy thanksgiving.

Frank46
11-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Glad to hear that despite some eager beavers (we had them in the navy also) that all are well and you thanksgiving dinner. And thanks to all for your service to our country. Frank

41 mag fan
11-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Good story Lovelife. On this thought, I'm glad you came home alive and able to share stories like that from your tour of duty.
Thank you for your service to this country.

Lefty SRH
11-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Thank you for serving Love Life....glad you are home safe.

Love Life
11-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you for all the kind wishes. I made it a point to write about every day I was there. Some of it was on regular paper, some of it was on MRE main meal boxes, some of it is written on write in the rain pads. I sent it home whenever I could. My wonderful wife saw the value in my terrible writing and copied it all, in much better handwriting, into a scrap book of sorts. Every now and then I'll flip through it.

I look back at it all and can't help but laugh. We were kids (except for our squad leader) charged with the mission of taking down the most dangerous place in the world at the time. We made the most of the situation and understood that we volunteered for it. There were hard times, easy times, boring times, and exciting times. We pretty much had the run of the city as we built OP after OP in order to strangle the enemy's ability to move, lay in IEDs, and resupply. I read of some of our exploits, and I am just amazed. It is hard to imagine all of us did what we did. Of the squad only 2 of us are still active duty, and soon it will be just me.

My thoughts at the time were a bit angry. I see I have calmed down a bit since then. I also still have all my notes from when we got our 5 paragraph orders, warning orders, and FRAGOs. We were in Ramadi from September 2006-May 2007 (we got extended for the surge). That was our city. We took it.

We didn't expect to get anything for Thanksgiving. We were in a wild area. I look back on it now and feel bad (just a little bit) for insulting the people who were nice enough to bring us food on Thanksgiving. We felt we had nothing to be thankful for, but in reality we had much to be thankful for.

41 mag fan
11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
As the saying applies Lovelife, war is hell. Thankfully you made it thru that hell, and was able to return home to your family and friends.

Lefty SRH
11-24-2012, 09:35 PM
as the saying applies lovelife, war is hell. Thankfully you made it thru that hell, and was able to return home to your family and friends.

amen!

WILCO
11-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for sharing Lovelife. Glad you're home with us.

Idaho Mule
11-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Lovelife, thank you for your service, and I hope you had a better Thanksgiving this year with family and friends. I salute you. JW