PDA

View Full Version : Lube-Sizer Gas Check Seating

gunboat57
11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
I did some searching on this forum for an answer but couldn't find one. Sorry if it's already been answered before:

I'm using a Lyman 450 to size my boolits and seat the gas checks. I have the bottom stop adjusted so the GC gets seated firmly and consistantly just as the press reaches the end of its travel.

How do the Lee sizers work? If it pushes the bullet through one way can you always be sure the GC has been seated firmly?

olaf455
11-22-2012, 09:27 PM
There is usually enough force required to properly seat the check. However if you were only sizing down a very small amount they may not seat properly.

williamwaco
11-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I use both methods.
I find the Lyman Gas check Seater much more consistent - but even it is not perfect.

gunboat57
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured the Lyman would give a more positive seating, especially if you're not sizing down the boolit diameter.

GP100man
11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
I seat every GC in a seperate operation.

As williamwaco stated it`s 1 more inconsistency we have some controll over .

Lefty SRH
11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I've been having some GC problems lately and I hate to ask this question. BUT how do you use the "gas check seater"? That little black part makes no sense to me as how to use it with the press itself.

williamwaco
11-24-2012, 08:23 PM
I've been having some GC problems lately and I hate to ask this question. BUT how do you use the "gas check seater"? Theat little black part makes no sense to me as how to use it with the press itself.

OhBoy!

I am not sure I can describe this.

It fits UNDER the die with the smaller end up.
It acts as a "Stop" that prevents the bullet from entering the die more than about 1/8"

You place the checked bullet into the dies as if you wre going to size it. Pull down the handle, the bullet will be pushed into the die just far enough to seat the gas check.

NOTE you cannot size the bullet in this operation. Seat all the gas checks, then remove the accessory and then size them normally.

See:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_GCS.pdf

Lefty SRH
11-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok, that makes sense. BUT why can't you just seat/crimp the check onto the boolit as you stroke the press when you size the boolit. As if you were just sizing boolits. You know all in one stroke/step?

williamwaco
11-24-2012, 08:30 PM
You can, and many people do it that way.

williamwaco
11-24-2012, 08:33 PM
You can also seat it by placing the die wrench on top of the die nut in such a way that it covers the die completely.
Seat the check manually ( just started ) place the nose of the bullet into the nose die and use the press to force the bullet with the check on the base down on the flat surface of the die wrench. This method works very well if you are careful but it is a lot of trouble to keep the die wrench off the floor.

gunboat57
11-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Williamwaco, thanks for your explanation about the GC seating stop. I got my Lyman lube-sizer second hand and it was apparently missing that stop. I was thinking there ought to be some way to use that press to seat GCs without actually sizing the boolit. Now I know there is. I'll either get a stop from Lyman or make something myself to do the job.

ROGER4314
11-29-2012, 12:21 AM
I got one of those Lyman gas check seat parts and found out that it won't work on my RCBS Lubamatic 2. I have an older Lyman 450 that I can use the seater on so I can still use the thing.

Flash