PDA

View Full Version : Is roofing tin usable?

RG1911
11-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I've seen occasional ads for used roofing tin, but have not found any useful information about it. Is this pure tin in a sheet form, or is it a harder metal that has a tin protective coating?

Thank you,
Richard

imashooter2
11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Roofing "tin" is actually steel and has no utility to boolit casters.

merlin101
11-22-2012, 05:59 PM

YEP same thing when you talk to a scrapper, the "tin" they talk about is sheet steel car doors/fenders ect. we have no use for when casting.

merlin101
11-22-2012, 06:02 PM
RG1911, if your looking for real tin check out the swapping section and vendor section here or just look around the Good will type stores for pewter cup/bowls/candle sticks ect. Just make sure it say's "pewter" on the bottom! Use that just as you would pure tin.

L1A1Rocker
11-22-2012, 07:08 PM
What the folks have posted is correct. However, I've found a number of "roofers" that refer to roofing lead as "tins" so you may want to clarify what they are really talking about.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Tin cans !!!

I often wonder if soup cans were ever made of tin ?

oneokie
11-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Only coated with tin.

Bullshop
11-22-2012, 08:01 PM
I think the term tin can may have been shortend from tinned can. Old cans had a block tin wash over the inside surface and a heavy tin solderd seem.

Bullshop
11-22-2012, 08:23 PM

Actually that is not true. It keeps the rain off my head and out of my smelting pot and that is a utility to one caster.

RG1911
11-22-2012, 09:06 PM
RG1911, if your looking for real tin check out the swapping section and vendor section here or just look around the Good will type stores for pewter cup/bowls/candle sticks ect. Just make sure it say's "pewter" on the bottom! Use that just as you would pure tin.

I have definitely been checking the swap section. Missed a few really good deals by learning about this forum only a few days ago.

Midway is running $25 per pound for pure tin. I can get the cost down to around $18 per pound from some companies, but I would have to order 50 to 100 pounds. And we won't go into the creative prices on eBay.

I was doing some checking about pewter because one of the stickies indicated that it's almost all tin. However, I saw that some pewter has a high percentage of bismuth, and even saw some that included copper. Not being familiar with pewter, and having only used wheel weights and linotype to date, I'm not sure how those additives affect casting.

Unfortunately, my degree from the last century is in writing, not metallurgy. Casting is a bit more complex than I had thought.

Cheers,
Richard

evan price
11-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Sheet steel coated in a tin wash is called terne. Nowadays hot dip galvanizing with zinc has replaced tin.

imashooter2
11-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Actually that is not true. It keeps the rain off my head and out of my smelting pot and that is a utility to one caster.

LOL! I stand corrected. :)

kbstenberg
11-23-2012, 12:08 AM
RG1911 keep on looking for lower priced tin . Meany posts showing the different types and forms of pewter, and how to use it so keep reading the stickies.

runfiverun
11-23-2012, 02:23 AM
keep the bismuth under 1% [it adds hardness like antimony does but adds brittleness faster] and low copper amounts are beneficial.
if under 0.5% you won't notice much change in castability if you have tin in the alloy also.
you may have to up your alloy temp 50-f or so.

RG1911
11-23-2012, 01:19 PM
keep the bismuth under 1% [it adds hardness like antimony does but adds brittleness faster] and low copper amounts are beneficial.
if under 0.5% you won't notice much change in castability if you have tin in the alloy also.
you may have to up your alloy temp 50-f or so.

Good information. Thank you. I *think* at least one of the ads for pewter from a company indicated much higher percentages for bismuth and copper. I'll check it again (assuming I can find it).

Richard