PDA

View Full Version : Lee Collete dies

kbstenberg
11-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Are the Lee Collete dies specific to 1 caliber only? I know they are listed that way. But I was hopping that they were like the Lyman M dies.
I looked on the Lee site and I could purchase the parts to convert one die body to other calibers.

1hole
11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
"I was hopping that they were like the Lyman M dies."

They are not.

"I looked on the Lee site and I could purchase the parts to convert one die body to other calibers. "

I suppose you could but, given the low cost of the complete die, it hardly seems worthwhile to do so.

rtracy2001
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
A single die body may be used on multiple calibers (30-06, 270, 25-06 etc.) but the collet itself and the depriming rod would be different for each. I am not sure how many different die bodies there are (don't know if 308 uses a different body than 30-06 for example), but purchasing one die body and multiple collets/depriming rods seems like too much hassle to me. I just buy the whole die (or set) and keep them with my regular die sets.

XTR
11-22-2012, 12:55 PM
They are very specific to caliber. If you look at how they work you'll see that mechanically they are a one trick pony, that said, they are also the shizzle. I love them. Bench rest shooters may be able to get better necks/neck tension with turned necks and bushing neck sizers, but at 5x the cost for high end bushing dies and 10x the effort. I need to make too many bullets for that much work. My F-TR rifle will hold well below .5MOA at short ranges and about .5 at 1000 yards loading with one. For less than $30 each there is probably no better bargain in reloading.

Sonnypie
11-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Good question.
I only have, and use, one of their collet dies in 30-06.
If somebody has a few, maybe they could take the Collets out and see for you.
I suppose you were hoping to leave the die body in place and just change the guts?
Stands to reason Lee would make certain sized bodies be adaptable to a range of calibers.
Some of the parts have the same numbers for the couple of calibers I looked at HERE (http://leeprecision.com/parts/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/lee-collet-dies/)

And when I was looking into a bullet feeder caliber change, I was advised the 30 caliber, and the 9mm/35 caliber feeder forks were interchangeable. So some of their stuff will work for other needs.
I'd highly suspect a .270 and a 30-06 body would interchange parts, for example.
You could Email (http://www.titanreloading.com/index.php?route=information/contact) Titan Reloading (http://www.titanreloading.com/) and ask.

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 02:56 PM
I only have the collet die in .223 .

I load for multiple AR's so , my first step is to de-prime & size with a .223 SB die .

Tumble & trim / ream primer pockets , as needed .

I use the turret press .

Next , the LoadMaster . Collet die in station # 1 to poke any media out of the flash hole and " true up " the neck and shoulder , to correct any thing that may have happened in the previous steps .

When I do things this way , the brass is happy in min to max chambers .

God bless
Wyr

o6Patient
01-11-2013, 04:50 PM
I want to try them in a few calibers but alas will have to get one at a time. :violin: