PDA

View Full Version : Stagg Arms combo gun???

richhodg66
11-22-2012, 10:38 AM
The boy and I had the day off yesterday so we did some poking around and stopped in the local pawn shop (kid loves to peruse the used guitars more than the guns). The folks who run this one are old time business owner here who like us and have been real straight shooters on several gun buys and a couple of guitar buys as well.

Anyway, I didn't notice it on the rack, but the guys says "have you ever seen one of these?" and pulled down a funny looking lever operated combination gun, 20 gauge on top, .30-30 on the bottom with no exposed hammer and double triggers, which I'd prefer over a switch you have to manipulate to change barrels.

I consider myself quite a gun nut but honestly had never layed eyes on one or even heard of them for that matter. Seems real well made and robust. He's asking a lot for it, but I truly think it won't move and in a few months I could probably horse trade for it for a whole lot less. He told me he had never seen one and could only find one online to get an idea of what to ask for it.

Anybody ever had dealings with one of these? I got kind of enamored with combo guns a while back and still want a Savage 24 in .22 over 20 one day. A single shot 20 gauge is a useful thing and it seems I can always find room for another .30-30. Thoughts?

I'll Make Mine
11-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Sounds to me like you've already decided you want it, now it's just a case of getting the right deal.

richhodg66
11-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe. I'm not gonna pay what he's asking, that's for sure, but I get in his shop often and I have a pretty good idea of what moves and what doesn't and this one won't. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have much in it, so it isn't like he's gonna lose money on it.

It really did suprise me though, very unusual piece and I had never had a clue they existed.

longhorn
11-22-2012, 11:24 AM
I've been fascinated by combo guns for years! No guarantees, but I seem to remember that the Stagg guns were built in West Virginia (?). I'll look at some old Gun Digests, but I'd bet it dates from the mid to late '70's. The only 1 I ever handled looked very carefully built and cleanly machined and robust with dark wood and great bluing. I'd guess $800+ for one in excellent shape, and any parts failure would turn into a real gunsmith search..........

Skipper
11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Here's one:

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9903732

richhodg66
11-22-2012, 01:30 PM
This one is priced at about $750, quite a bit more than I think something like that is worth, but it really does seem very well made. I like the idea of the rifle barrel being under the shotgun barrel too.