PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Classic Cast Single Stage

Recluse
11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
It came down to between the Lee Classic Cast and the Redding Big Boss II. I had the chance to pull the handle on a Big Boss a couple of days ago and load some ammo. Beautiful, quality press.

Went to a friend of mine's hangar last night after a day of flying and loaded some ammo on his Classic Cast single stage. Rugged, smooth, stout.

On top of that, I seriously doubt I'll ever load anything bigger than 30-06, so I don't need a huge monster press. But there was one other factor that played into the decision. . .

Woke up this morning and the arthritis in my shoulder was killing me--as in pain-pill killing me. We've got a frontal system moving through, plus I'd done some work around the hangar that put some more wear and tear on it. That made the decision for me--the adjustable handle on the Lee pushed it across the finish line first.

Love Life and I have been exchanging PMs as to how the Classic Cast is working for him. He's pretty much told me it's everything he wanted in a press and then some and for one helluva good price.

Should see it here this time next week.

Between Christmas shopping and the Muslim dictator assigning himself another four years of rule, I'm starting to see shades of 2008 again. . .

:coffee:

jmort
11-21-2012, 11:25 PM
One thing you will not regret buying. The Classic Cast and Classic Turret are two products Lee Precision did exactly right.

geargnasher
11-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Well FINALLY! You'll like it. Did it come with the Breech Lock feature?

Gear

keyhole
11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
I really like the Classic Cast I have had for several years. Being left-handed, the easy repositioning of the handle for left hand operation was a plus. Others are making their presses ambidextrous now, finally, but Lee had it when I needed it.
One tip, even if you do not use the priming feature leave the primer arm on the ram. It helps direct spent primers down the cavity inside the ram. Without the primer arm in place, spent primers go all over the place. The primer arm also helps retain the shellholder.

geargnasher
11-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Ben has a high-tech fix for the primer arm slot should you choose not to prime on the press. It involves a small sliver of wood and some JB Weld if I remember right. Maybe just the wood. Make a square stick that will wedge in the slot to "blank off" the slot.

Gear

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Good choice of a single stage. It's what pushed my Rock Chucker off my bench after a few months comparison side by side. It obsoleted the RC.

You'll never regret buying that press for a single stage.

Bullet Caster
11-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Well it's about time JD. I thought you'd end up with the Lee. I didn't know you'd been corresponding with Dick. I think it was he that threw his pro 1000 in the lake and deep sixed it. And Gear, thanks for that little tip on plugging the slot the primer works in. Sometimes I forget to put in the primer arm and start decapping with the spent primers going all over the place. I'm gonna try making me a little wooden plug to wedge into the slot and see if it directs the spent primers into the tube. I have taken a coke bottle (plastic) and cut an X in the top and pulled the pieces of plastic back enough to let the spent primer tube to just stick inside of the coke bottle lid. It just hangs there with a nice tight friction fit and I have set up 3 bottles for this. One for large pistol, one for small pistol and one for large rifle primers. I want to keep them separated in case I ever have to utilize them again. I wrote a label and attached it to each bottle denoting which primers are in the bottles--you know those computer labels that stick to anything. That way I won't get 'em mixed up and decap into the wrong bottle. Works for me. Looks kinda funny but very viable. BC

Le Loup Solitaire
11-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I bought two of these some years ago shortly after they were introduced. They have served me well especially since I am a lefty and I like the spent primer disposal arrangement. I too leave the primer arm in position to deflect the spent primers. Its a very strong and solid press that is a good value for the price. Just keep it clean and oiled and it should last a very long time. LLS

Love Life
11-22-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm glad you ordered one Recluse. I read and read and read as many reviews as possible on different presses. For me it was between the Redding Big Boss II or the Lee Classic Cast. The only difference I saw was price and life time warranty.

After all the research it appeared that the Lee press wasn't just the cheapest, but was the best available (minus the co-ax). I have been extremely happy. The press is stout and alignment is beautiful. The ram was a tiny bit gritty out of the box, but worked in very nicely. The press loads very accurate ammo, and is made in America.

Lee knocked it out of the park on the Classic Cast press, but then again Lee does a good job of providing good quality products at a very competitive price.

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
I do not have a cast iron single stage Lee press . However , I used the Challenger die cast press for years . Only gripe was the die cast linkage . Broke it twice . Last time I reinforced it with J B Weld . Did not break again .

Years latter , I retro fitted it with the iron / steel linkage of the newer press . Solid as a rock now .

I can only guess the new cast iron Lee single stage press are even better ?

I do have the cast iron turret press . Just about the greatest value going . And the safety prime system is the icing on the cake . :-)

Then there is my LoadMaster .....

God bless
Wyr

Recluse
11-24-2012, 02:06 AM
Well FINALLY! You'll like it. Did it come with the Breech Lock feature?

Gear

Nope. I've never liked the breech lock system.

WyrTwister
11-24-2012, 02:44 AM

I have never used any of the twist-lock die systems .

To me , in most applications , they are a solution in search of a problem .

Just set the lock ring . Screw the die in until the lock ring bottoms out and you are there .

On the Lee presses that use a turret , I am guessing the turret cost about = the price of the twist-lock adapters ?

God bless
Wyr

A pause for the COZ
11-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Glad you got one. It kinda turns into a no brainer. The two main selling points for me were the spent primer collection system and the fact I could switch the handle to the left side. Its main job is full length sizing so the primer system was important. Then since I sit between the two presses and work the left press left handed and the right press right handed. Setting the handle on the left side made my work easier.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8268.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8376.jpg

geargnasher
11-24-2012, 12:49 PM

Good. That will save you a rant. I have the Breech Lock hand press and wouldn't take for it for loading at the range with range-dedicated dies, but it mucks up the works back in the gun room having those rings on everything, and they're EXPENSIVE for what they are, especially coming from Lee.

Gear

joec
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I use both the Classic Turret and Classic Cast. I removed the 1 1/4" x 12 adapter to mine so I could use RCBS cowboy dies for shot shells and put in the Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit I got at Midway USA for 17.29 with it I have can have the quick change and still have the 1 1/4 x 12 to 7/8 x 14 conversion for bullet sizing, decapping or any other thing I might want to use it for. Oh and I'm using the arm that came on my Turret which I replaced with an Inline Fabrication arm on my the Classic Cast as they are interchangeable.

Lee Classic Cast with RCBS Cowboy die for 12 ga Magtech brass shot shells.
54403 54404

Lee Classic Turret that I load 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 45-70 ammo.

garym1a2
11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I like my Breech Lock classic cast press. Pop in a die, size and prime a bunch of 40 brass. Pop it out and pop in the 40 buldgebuster and resize them the rest of the way. Or change over to the 223 and run them.
The lee classic turrent is also a great press. Than they made the load master, thats why I prime seperatly.

Recluse
11-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Press arrived late this afternoon. It's a beast.

I've pulled the handle and loaded on one before, but it was already bolted onto the bench. I'd never picked one up in the box or unbolted before--sucker is heavy, to be sure, and solid. The finish is perfect.

As seems to be typical with Lee these days, quality control is lacking. I'll be removing the ram and taking some emory cloth to finish out the ram guide.

But for $121 shipped to my door, I have no real complaints or regrets. Once I get the ram guide finished out, I have no doubt this press will be on my reloading bench for a long, long time.

geargnasher
11-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Try wiping the ram with some ATF and sizing about a hundred pistol cases with it, THEN take it out and CLEAN it and put it back together with more ATF. They break in smooth as a babies bottom in short order. If you go sanding on things, you may incite some premature wobble.

Gear

WyrTwister
11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Try wiping the ram with some ATF and sizing about a hundred pistol cases with it, THEN take it out and CLEAN it and put it back together with more ATF. They break in smooth as a babies bottom in short order. If you go sanding on things, you may incite some premature wobble.

Gear

My same exact thought . Only the lube I use on my presses is a mix of ATF , engine oil and STP .

The press is bound to like one of those . :-)

God bless
Wyr

Casting_40S&W
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Running sandpaper thru a reamed hole would not be a good idea.........A little bit of 30 weight of oil will go a long ways.

Recluse
11-29-2012, 01:08 PM

Gear

Did that (ATF lube and several hundred ram strokes)--problem is that it's scarring the front of the ram where Lee's usual lack of QC let the press leave the factory with the ram grinding on the upstroke and downstroke.

Looked at it a lot closer this morning and the friggin' hole at the top of the press base is out of round! [smilie=b:

Something tells me this one is going back. Something else tells me the Redding may take its place.

WyrTwister
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Did that (ATF lube and several hundred ram strokes)--problem is that it's scarring the front of the ram where Lee's usual lack of QC let the press leave the factory with the ram grinding on the upstroke and downstroke.

Looked at it a lot closer this morning and the friggin' hole at the top of the press base is out of round! [smilie=b:

Something tells me this one is going back. Something else tells me the Redding may take its place.

Were it me , I would give them the opportunity to make it right .

But , it is your dime .............

God bless
Wyr

jimkim
11-29-2012, 01:34 PM
You never get anything from Lee that doesn't have a problem. For the life of me, I can't figure out why you ordered this press.

WyrTwister
11-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Try the Lee cast iron turret press . It is a great press , especially with the safety prime .

Then , if you look at what you get and what it cost , It is just about the biggest value going . At least in reloading presses .

God bless
Wyr

PS After BHO's first election , things were selling faster than they could make them .

Not really surprising QC suffered some . I would bet this may have hit the other manufacturers , some , also ?

Recluse
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
You never get anything from Lee that doesn't have a problem. For the life of me, I can't figure out why you ordered this press.

Not true. I have over thirty years' worth of various Lee components scattered around my reloading benches. I'm on record as stating I LIKE Lee's 2-hole molds (which puts me in the distinct minority around here), I'm a huge proponent of their collet dies, de-cappers and especially their push-through sizing dies.

Hell, I even still have my ancient Pro1000 bolted to the bench and bought a new steel linkage and handle for it.

So, Jim. . . THAT dog don't (expletive deleted) hunt.

The last two presses--Lee's "big money, big ticket" items I've received have been ****. Problem is, when Lee advertises and promotes them as "quite simply the best reloading system there is" and other such claims, they MIGHT, JUST MIGHT want to beef up their QC a bit.

Of course, I'm the only person here on this forum or anywhere else that has EVER had a problem with Lee as of recent. . .

onegunred
11-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I have a Lee Classic Cast along with 2 RCBS presses and the Lee is fine. Keep in mind it is only a $100 tool. I have seen $15000 outboard motors with severe problems because of QC. I am sure Lee will make it good.

jimkim
11-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Let me rephrase that. Lately you haven't been getting anything from Lee that doesn't have a problem. I can't for the life of me figure out why you bought this press, after starting this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?153334-Throwing-all-my-Lee-junk-in-the-lake-this-week!

I have a Lee Classic Cast. I am very pleased with it. I am willing to swap if need be. First I'll have to inspect it for any defects that I may have overlooked. I still don't understand the extensive retort and why you bought one after the other thread. This is not meant to be "snarky" or insulting. It's just an honest opinion.

What I put before was not meant as a threat. After going back and re-reading it, I can understand how it looked like it. My apologies.

Mooseman
11-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Recluse...to quote You...
"I have been a Lee defender for many years, but I defended what GOOD products they made--and there were some. Probably still are. . . probably.

There are some red products on my bench that I've had for many, many years and that have helped me produce many, many good rounds of ammo. Those will stay.

But the NEW stuff--recently manufactured, in the past twelve/twenty-four months--is pure GARBAGE.

And yes, my fellow-Texan, Perry friend and "just as stubborn as me" friend. . . I have argued long and often bitterly with you about this.

So just one thing: Do you have any good chipotle sauce down there to send up here? I need it to dip the crow in I'm about to eat. "

I took it the same way as Jimkim. Once burned Twice shy.

Rich

Jim
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Y'all need to put this in 'park' before it gets out of hand.

fishhawk
12-01-2012, 09:05 PM
OK after having contact with persons involved and having the best intentions and well being of the forum at heart I am going to unlock this thread. The wording on some of the posts lead me to believe that this was one of those flair up's that get out of hand now and then here and the posters now see how I perceived that. Apologies to all concerned steve k

geargnasher
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm in a quandry now, finding myself needing to load for .50 BMG. I have an RCBS AmmoMaster with the 1-1/2"-12 by 7/8"-14 top bushing, which will take Hornady and RCBS dies, but NOT Lee due to Lee's .50 BMG dies being 1-1/4"-12. CH4D makes a bushing to use the Lee dies in the RCBS and Hornady presses (virtually identical except for the paint), but I could buy the whole Lee .50 BMG kit with primer system and everything for almost a hundred bucks less than I can buy just the dies from RCBS or Hornady, and still need a primer system and shellholder.

Anybody think the Classic Cast has the suds to really handle resizing the big Browning cases? I know it's a bit short to easily place bullets for seating, but for the money I'd save that's a small issue.

Gear

MT Chambers
12-01-2012, 11:52 PM
This is like argueing about the merits of the Ford Pinto.......reloading happiness is spelt COAX!!

1bluehorse
12-02-2012, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=geargnasher;1941038]I'm in a quandry now, finding myself needing to load for .50 BMG. I have an RCBS AmmoMaster with the 1-1/2"-12 by 7/8"-14 top bushing, which will take Hornady and RCBS dies, but NOT Lee due to Lee's .50 BMG dies being 1-1/4"-12. CH4D makes a bushing to use the Lee dies in the RCBS and Hornady presses (virtually identical except for the paint), but I could buy the whole Lee .50 BMG kit with primer system and everything for almost a hundred bucks less than I can buy just the dies from RCBS or Hornady, and still need a primer system and shellholder.

Gear, I don't load for 50bmg but do have the RCBS ammomaster press. Actually two of them but only one is a "true" 50 but I have the auto conversion for it. Anyhoo, I have two different bushings that came with it. One is for reducing to "normal" dies but the other is bigger. Like I said I know nothing about the die sizes for loading the 50 cal, if this one is what you need let me know, I have no use for it...the bigger one that is...

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 01:03 AM
I think I'll start a new thread on this. Bluehorse, to use the Lee dies in the RCBS I would need to go from 1-1/2" by 12 TPI to 1-1/4" by 12 TPI, the bushing would be about an eighth of an inch thick and have the same thread pitch inside as outside.

Gear

Love Life
12-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Well dang Recluse. I'm sorry to hear you got a bad one. After recommending it to you I had a thought that went a little like this: "Man I really hope he doesn't get a bad one." Maybe I jinxed you? I had our base machinist run through mine and he gave it the thumbs up.

I really wish you had gotten one of the good ones. I don't think you can go wrong with the Redding Big Boss II though. However, if that press has issues then you owe it to yourself to take it as a bad omen and immediately send all your reloading equipment to me. :mrgreen:

Jailer
12-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Gear I do all my swaging on my Classic Cast. I added a longer handle for more leverage but other than that it's worked well. I have broken one of the linkage arms but I believe it was from putting too much pressure (more than needed) when I first started out swaging. It takes a lot of pressure to swage a 45 bullet from 40 brass.

I've never sized a 50 BMG case but I doubt the Classic Cast would have any thouble with it.

dromia
12-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Just an observation as a modest retailer of handloading equipment. Lee products make around 50% of my sales but make over 75% of my returns. As I am returning to an importer they will just replace with another from the stock racks, sometimes the whole stock of that item is suspect and a refund is the only solution. The returns are around most products with their dies being the least troublesome.

onegunred
12-02-2012, 12:48 PM
It is too bad that Lee is having these problems with some of its products. I have only owned 2 Lee products, the Lee dippers that I bought 35 years ago and the Classic Cast that I bought last summer. I tried a Classic Cast at my LGS that Chris (the owner) used and I really liked it and had him get 1 for me. It is smooth and tough. I have 2 RCBS presses in addition but I really like the LEE CLASSIC CAST. I do need to add 1 thing: I am a PROFESSIONAL A## HOLE, and if something is bad or wrong I am not shy about saying something.

1bluehorse
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Just an observation as a modest retailer of handloading equipment. Lee products make around 50% of my sales but make over 75% of my returns. As I am returning to an importer they will just replace with another from the stock racks, sometimes the whole stock of that item is suspect and a refund is the only solution. The returns are around most products with their dies being the least troublesome.

Those are interesting figures....50% of sales and 75% of returns..I've tried quite a bit of Lee's equipment through the years and for the most part was satisfied. Don't remember ever returning anything, sold some and gave some away. Still have some die sets, a few molds, and the Lee Classic Turret!!!! (with accruements) which I think is the best turret on the market. Also, I'm one of the rare (:veryconfu) individuals who actually likes the Zip Trim..but I must admit I've been moving to other vendors more and more over the years ...RCBS mostly..

Always enjoy reading your posts....

WyrTwister
12-02-2012, 01:48 PM

If Lee is 50% of your sales & 50% of your returns , that would be normal . The other 25% is the issue .

The majority of my loading stuff is Lee . I have broken some of it & gotten parts from Lee . Some times on their dime , sometimes on mine . All in all , I am way ahead .

Add in , most of this stuff is 1/2 to 1/3 the price of most of the competition . How have I lost ?

I do not expect a car to be as tough as a 1 ton truck . And they do not cost as much .

And , in time , I often have figured out why I broke something . Normally I was dumbing up and doing something wrong .

I would probably never gotten back into reloading , if it was not for Lee and their value priced stuff .

But , if you want the other brands , then enjoy . Best wishes .

Gosd bless
Wyr

jmort
12-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Some people will be against Lee Precision without ever using Lee Precision products. Most people who use Lee Precision are very happy with their equipment. Lee Precision will continue to be number one due to cost/benefit of their products. Made in USA family run business helps as well. Glad they support this site. God Bless Richard Lee and his family.

Love Life
12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
While I will be the first to say Lee makes decent products, I also have no problem calling a spade a spade.

Example are Lee's push through sizing dies. I have probably ordered about 10 or so through the ears and not a single one sized to the right diameter. They are always .001 under. So out come the wooden dowels and sandpaper. It is a hassle and why I no longer order push through sizers from Lee.

I had one of the challenger presses, but it finally went out of alignment after being used for about 15 years or so.

Their dies can be rough at times.

Overall though Lee precision offers solid products for good prices. If it weren't for them a set of dies would probably cost $100.00

Now back to the OP-Are you going to send it back for a replacement Recluse or are you going to move up to a Big Boss II?

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
I've had three genuine defects with Lee equipment, of which I own a BUNCH. One was a Classic Turret press with the shellholder groove in the top of the ram machined off-center, one was a single hole in a 4-hole turret that was bored/threaded at a really gawdafull angle, and a .40 S&W 4-die set that was missing the punch out of the seater die.

The only other truly defective stuff I've gotten was my original RCBS Ammomaster press from umptidump years ago that didn't have threads tapped in the primer ram-prime stem that was intended for the small primer punch, so I just swap the punch/cup/spring out on the one that IS threaded. Also recently bought an RCBS .35 Remington seater die that wouldn't crimp cases that were at the MAX SAAMI dimension, had to grind about 1/8" off the bottom of the die and it worked fine, just that the innards were cut too deeply. If I can fix it in five minutes or if it cost less than ten bucks it ain't worth my time to warranty it.

I think I'll got with the Lee set, if it shatters John may wake up with it in bed next to him.

Gear

A pause for the COZ
12-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Oh man I had not kept an eye on this thread. I am real sorry to hear you got a bad one. I have been talking them up like no ones business. I had noticed that there was a time that my LEE supplier was sold out of the Classic cast presses on a pretty regular basis. I wonder if the added demand make them cut some corners to get them out the door.
I did not catch if you gave LEE a chance to make it right or if you just went with the Redding?

That being said I dont think the others are immune to defects ether. I have purchased a few new Items from RCBS this last year that Were in need of reworking to make useful. The Powder check die that the center hole was not completely drilled through comes to mind.

Cutting corners just to make them cheaper/ Faster is not the answer. LEE needs to get on top of that issue with the Classic cast presses. Thats not the product they need to cut corners on. They have a winner if done right.
I know nothing makes me more angry than when I put in the research, saved my money, waited my time. Only to get a product that some slappy did not care enough to insure it worked before they sent it out the door.

MT Chambers
12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I have no Lee equipment any more, it is just not robust enough for the heavy duty reloading that I do, soft metals, alum., pot metals, don't cut it when the going gets tough case forming, or the constant use I require. I like the Co-ax, Redding and Forster dies including neck/full length die sets, in-line competition bullet seaters, bushing size dies, etc. For me, shooting/reloading is too important to scrimp on equipment, I won't just buy something because it is cheap.

taminsong
12-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I have a Lee Classic Press and Lee Classic turret press, and a lot of LEE reloading dies and shellholders. The presses worked well for a couple of years now. My only complaints were on their 223 and 30m1 case trimmer, its a waste of money! The thing won't fit in a newly sized case. Its my headache everytime I load, so recently, I ordered a wilson case trimmer and hopefully maybe two weeks from now it will be here.

Not to hijack the thread, somebody mentioned that you can be able to remove the ram of the classic press, if so, would be grateful if somebody could teach me how or give me a link on how to do it. I really want to disassemble and clean it very nice, I loved these presses!

geargnasher
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Tam, if it's like the Classic Turret, you'll notice the small holes through the splined linkage pins where they pin the linkage to the base. The one on the left is drilled partway through, the one on the right is drilled ALL the way through. You have to unscrew the top part of the ram for the first step and get it out of the way (the part that holds the shellholder and primer arm), I use a combination wrench with the open end inserted vertically down in the primer arm slot (from the top of the press) and a steel rod through the box end and twist the wrench to unscrew it. Then lower the ram all the way and the top will now fall below the axis of the knurled linkage pins. Insert a strong steel rod in the hole through the right pin and drive the left pin out with a hammer.

For a punch, I used an old Allen wrench (long, hex key wrench) with the short leg cut off. It's hard, strong, and long enough, I think the size was 1/8". You can use what ever you wish but be careful of something that will peen on the ends as it will become permanently stuck if the tip peens or mushrooms inside the press.

Next, remove the nuts on the linkage pivot, and the handle bolt. Rotate the left linkage arm on the center pivot to get it out of the base and pull it off the pivot bolt. The linkage arms 'unstack" from there. You can use a larger punch to remove the remaining, right side linkage pin from the press base if you want to, but I usually just rinse it out with aerosol solvent of some variety and put a drop of oil on it with the press inverted.

The ram will be free to come out the bottom, but be sure and mark it's orientation for reassembly or the threaded top piece won't end up in the right place when you screw it back on later.

When reinstalling the linkage pin, orient the oil hole down, and "feel" the splines back into their original cut in the cast iron base. If you don't, it won't oil correctly and if you cut a new set of splines it might get loose. You can lube the upper linkage pins/arms by oiling the holes drilled in the middle due to the cross-drilled weep hole.

The rest of the linkage gets #2 synthetic lithium grease during reassembly, and the ram/bore gets lubed with automatic transmission fluid.

Gear

WyrTwister
12-04-2012, 01:46 AM
I have a Lee Classic Press and Lee Classic turret press, and a lot of LEE reloading dies and shellholders. The presses worked well for a couple of years now. My only complaints were on their 223 and 30m1 case trimmer, its a waste of money! The thing won't fit in a newly sized case. Its my headache everytime I load, so recently, I ordered a wilson case trimmer and hopefully maybe two weeks from now it will be here.

Not to hijack the thread, somebody mentioned that you can be able to remove the ram of the classic press, if so, would be grateful if somebody could teach me how or give me a link on how to do it. I really want to disassemble and clean it very nice, I loved these presses!

Easy to fix . Chuck the pilot shaft up in an electric drill motor . Spin the pilot shaft and take it down a few thousandths with a fine file or a course sharpening stone .

Turn it around in the chuck and do the same thing from the other end . Problem solved in a few minutes .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister
12-04-2012, 01:47 AM
I have no Lee equipment any more, it is just not robust enough for the heavy duty reloading that I do, soft metals, alum., pot metals, don't cut it when the going gets tough case forming, or the constant use I require. I like the Co-ax, Redding and Forster dies including neck/full length die sets, in-line competition bullet seaters, bushing size dies, etc. For me, shooting/reloading is too important to scrimp on equipment, I won't just buy something because it is cheap.

You do know Lee now makes cast iron presses ?

God bless
Wyr

MT Chambers
12-04-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm aware of that, however it doesn't matter what it's made of if the ram doesn't align with your installed dies!

WyrTwister
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm aware of that, however it doesn't matter what it's made of if the ram doesn't align with your installed dies!

Never had that problem . I have 4 Lee presses on my table plus a hand press .

If I have a problem with a Lee product , I either fix it myself ( usually easier and faster ) or order parts . Lee has replaced parts free , that were really my fault that they are broken . Can not complain about that .

Life is not perfect , I know I certainly am not . If a product messes up , I try to give the manufacturer a chance to make it right .

But , its your dime , spend it how ever makes you happy . Best of luck .

God bless
Wyr

geargnasher
12-04-2012, 10:26 PM
The Lee presses with the bolt-on top plates can be adjusted to align with the ram, except for the run of Classic Turret presses that had the shellholder raceway machined off-center to the right about 1/16".

Gear

UNIQUEDOT
12-05-2012, 02:03 PM
My only complaints were on their 223 and 30m1 case trimmer, its a waste of money! The thing won't fit in a newly sized case.

Anytime i ever had this problem with a Lee case trimmer a micrometer showed that the expander in the die was undersized while the trimmer pilots were in specs.

gunoil
12-06-2012, 08:40 AM
mine LLM was scraping for hour or so the i put some maglube grease on vertical and it cleared up instantly and has run great. Lube it and move it. But i know some are not mechanical with there hands or dont care to study the problem out. Maybe they need to spend a grand on a press and have other problems.

r1kk1
12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
WOW! Lee-menting seems to cover more product line than just the other threads on moulds. I've seen more threads on polishing rough dies, moulds, and now extends to presses. Are these new products or factory seconds people buy? I'm curious.

I understand maintenance. No biggie. Just don't understand these many threads dealing with QC issues. There must be factory seconds getting back into circulation or stock being rotated between retailers.

Take care

r1kk1

UNIQUEDOT
12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Are these new products or factory seconds people buy? I'm curious.

I have bought a couple of presses in the past that were seconds in appearance and i was told by a Lee rep. that "sometimes seconds slip through as first quality presses" so i have to naturally assume it's a QC issue as they appear to slip through far too often.

geargnasher
12-08-2012, 12:44 AM
If you want to pay three times the price for a product that's really no better, but have a smaller chance of having to do final finsh/QC yourself, then go for it. I'll save my money for other things and spend five minutes putting on the final shine myself.

Gear

WyrTwister
12-08-2012, 06:35 AM
If you want to pay three times the price for a product that's really no better, but have a smaller chance of having to do final finsh/QC yourself, then go for it. I'll save my money for other things and spend five minutes putting on the final shine myself.

Gear

Such as buying brass , primers , powder and lead .

Exactly the way I feel .

God bless
wyr

zuke
12-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Such as buying brass , primers , powder and lead .

Exactly the way I feel .

God bless
wyr

That's 3 of us.

dromia
12-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Personally I think Lee use the Ikea model of QC, get the customer to do it and replace if returned.

r1kk1
12-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Thanks for answering my post Uniquedot. I hardly own any production Lee stuff. The stuff I do own was bought many moons ago. My custom order stuff must be from a different manufacturing line. I don't know if its a direct order or what. Lee does not state on their website or catalog about their tools may require tweaking and finishing by the consumer. The fit and finish on custom moulds, custom bullet sizers and custom case length gauges I have no complaint. Now custom order is postponed until spring. Their must be a QC issue and I'm probably have a hunch it's dealing with third party vendors. I'm not a dealer, just to trying to understand. I have two dies sets from the 80s that don't have any issues. I have quite a bit of custom order stuff that does not either.

Like I stated in an earlier post. I don't mind maintenance, I would not be happy to finish a tool out before I could use it especially since it is not advertised as such. My impression is to direct order from Lee. I have yet to get anything bad that way but like I said, I don't go for production line stuff so third party vendors don't fill a void for me.

Take care

r1kk1

WyrTwister
12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks for answering my post Uniquedot. I hardly own any production Lee stuff. The stuff I do own was bought many moons ago. My custom order stuff must be from a different manufacturing line. I don't know if its a direct order or what. Lee does not state on their website or catalog about their tools may require tweaking and finishing by the consumer. The fit and finish on custom moulds, custom bullet sizers and custom case length gauges I have no complaint. Now custom order is postponed until spring. Their must be a QC issue and I'm probably have a hunch it's dealing with third party vendors. I'm not a dealer, just to trying to understand. I have two dies sets from the 80s that don't have any issues. I have quite a bit of custom order stuff that does not either.

Like I stated in an earlier post. I don't mind maintenance, I would not be happy to finish a tool out before I could use it especially since it is not advertised as such. My impression is to direct order from Lee. I have yet to get anything bad that way but like I said, I don't go for production line stuff so third party vendors don't fill a void for me.

Take care

r1kk1

I suspect , due to the election ( again ) their volume has gone up . I also suspect , they are devoting their resources / volume to post-election orders and traditional Christmas orders . Postponing the special order stuff .

Do not worry about ( be happy ) the QC questions .

I have a C&R FFL & they give me 1/3 off the " list / retail " price .

But , I have never done any custom order , orders .

God bless
Wyr

gunoil
12-09-2012, 10:02 PM
custom orders take weeks and some over month. Custom bullet molds , custom dies, thry have to make em. I will buy custom 6 cav boolit tool soon, They are around 200$ and 6 weeks. Dont bother me.

r1kk1
12-10-2012, 07:54 AM
custom orders take weeks and some over month. Custom bullet molds , custom dies, thry have to make em. I will buy custom 6 cav boolit tool soon, They are around 200$ and 6 weeks. Dont bother me.

Is this the time frame Lee quoted you? They told me it would be spring 2013 for any more custom stuff. I've had to wait up to 3 months in the past. They case length gauges I ordered were much faster.

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html

I have not ordered from these guys since Walt passed away and the shop is in El Paso now. They and ballistic cast were the three companies who could turn out six cavity moulds depending on bullet style, length, etc. I think ballistic cast still can do the H&G 10 cavity moulds but unsure anymore.

I have some unique custom Lee 6 cavity moulds in my collection. They were part of group buys on numerous lists.

Take care

r1kk1