PDA

View Full Version : Swaging the nose

Sliver Shooter
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I have been playing with my new Mini-lathe and made a jacket die to straighten out 22lr. I altered my boolit mold to mold the cores. Now I'm having a heck of a time getting a punch made to swag the nose. I made a base punch and a die to the right size but that darn top punch,,,,, I'm on my third try. Anyone have any drawings or diagrams to look at to see what it should look like? Thanks guys for any direction.

BT Sniper
11-21-2012, 09:06 PM
If it was easy everyone would be making the point form die and it wouldn't be so expensive. It took me years to get it right.

There is some info here and there on this sight about D reamers or spoon cutters but in the end expensive custom carbide reamers was the best sollution for me.

BT

marten
11-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Search the site (note correct spelling) for D reamer.
They are simple to make and work well, the most difficult part being hardening and tempering.
You only need to resort to 'bought in stuff' if you really cannot make it yourself!

Oh and unless you are making a 'stepped' nose the usual way is to cut the point form in the die rather than the punch.

Sliver Shooter
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys, I knew the task wasn'y easy but I want to perserveare (spelling?) Just need to see it to do it.