PDA

View Full Version : Linotype advice pls...

Fathersalt
11-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I have run across 800+ lbs of lino. How does .80/lb sound. Is that too high?
What are average going prices?
Thanks

clintsfolly
11-21-2012, 08:32 PM
Go Get It All tonight!!! Clint

Down South
11-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Price is great. Is is still in type form or has it been melted down?
anyway, you would be lucky to find any lead alloy for less than a buck a pound. I bought 400 lbs of mono, foundry type and Lino for a buck a pound a couple years ago in a FTF deal and I got a great deal.

cbrick
11-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Welcome to CastBoolits Fathersalt,

If your sure it's lino, is it still in type form or in ingots?

If it were me and I was positive it's lino I would jump on it before it's gone.

Rick

John in WI
11-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I would say that's a good deal. Although I wouldn't know what to do with THAT MUCH lino! I thought my wimpy #10 pile of it was a good start!

Anyway, around here the local scrap yard wanted .70/pound for wheel weight, and that's with me removing them.

9.3X62AL
11-21-2012, 09:23 PM
What they all said. I would be on that like butter on bread.

Down South
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
I would say that's a good deal. Although I wouldn't know what to do with THAT MUCH lino!
Sell what he doesn't want at a profit.

JIMinPHX
11-21-2012, 10:50 PM
I suspect that many of the board members here would be happy to give you $1.50/lb for any portion of that you do not want, assuming that it really is pure lino.

S&W-629
11-21-2012, 11:03 PM
i would get it and sell what you dont need and make some money from it

Fathersalt
11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
It is all still in type form. I appreciate the help guys. Im going to offer him .70/lb. Either way, I will pay the .80 if need be.
I have seen alot of recipes for lead alloys on stickies here but I cant seem to find one that really fits what I need to do. I have three types of lead. 500lbs of pure, 1500lbs of COWW and now 800lbs of lino. The COWW's, I have a steady free supply of those.
I need a recipe for an alloy With BHN of around 9 I think.
I will be casting one bullet. .451 230gr 2R. For the target and cowboy action shooting crowd.
I was hoping to stumble on a recipe where I could mix all three of my metals together without having to add any Tin but keep good mold filling properties and soft enough bullets to work well in a .45 auto at low (750-850fps) velocity ranges. Any advice or recipes much appreciated.
I suppose if need be I could sit down on the computer and start plugging in numbers on the lead alloy calculator/spreadsheet thing and see what I come up with.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!! God Bless America.

Defcon-One
11-22-2012, 07:48 PM
You hit the mother load! At $0.70 per pound you are paying about half of what I paid for my Linotype.

For cowboy action shooting you can use 50% Soft lead mixed with 50% Clip-on WW lead and do pretty well. You may need to add a bit of Tin via Solder to get really good fillout. (I know you don't want to, but it will help!)

For general handgun use COWW plus a bit of Tin is all that you need. The Linotype comes into play for Magnum Handgun bullets and Rifle bullets where you need a tougher, harder alloy. If your only doing cowboy/target bullets in the .45 Long Colt, you probably don't have any real need for Linotype, but I'd keep it since you'll need it later when you start casting other bullets. Trust me, you will!

I'd pay $1.35 to $1.50 per pound shipped for Linotype in strips!

RG1911
11-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm in shock. Around here (Colorado Springs), I've been paying as much as $1 per pound for wheel weights (when I can find them before some other vulture beats me to them). I'd buy a couple hundred pounds from you.

Cheers,
Richard

bumpo628
11-23-2012, 04:09 AM
If you mix Lino & Pure in a 1:5 ratio, you'll have an alloy with about 0.67% tin and 2% antimony.
So, that is pretty close to what is generally accepted as "standard" clip-on WW alloy.

You could just throw 1 lb of Lino for every 5 lbs of pure lead into any amount of clip-on WW lead and you'll have an alloy that'll measure somewhere between Bhn 10-12. If you need softer, then add pure lead until it gets down to where you need it to be.

Fathersalt
11-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Well I picked up lino today. It was in a barrel. 879# total. I almost had it talked down to .69/lb but the plant manager caught wind of it and put an instant stop to the negotiations and the price immediately returned to .80/lb period.
The majority of the strips are exactly 26.5" long give or take a few .001"s so we know it came out of a machine.
It appears to be very new, and there are incremental wavy residual marks on it like it was extruded or rolled out of a machine.
The long strips in the black bread trays stacked on one another are the bulk of it. 500-600lbs. The stuff in the buckets has been used and is in 1-9" strips.
This is an assortment of some of the forms the strips are in along with a 5lb half-round ingot of what I assume is lino also.
There are also a handful of very thin strips in the milk crate, roughly .060-.100 thick.
I really pressed the plant manager about its authenticity and origion, he said "Look son", bear in mind I am 40 yrs old but it is nice to be reminded that there are always older and wiser out there. "Look son, the guy that brought this in has run a printing business for 40 years that is closing. The printer said it was linotype and I think it is also. Son, this is the deal of a lifetime, take it or leave it."
Based on ya'lls experience with lino, is it linotype?
Frankly, I do not mind sending 5lbs of this stuff to one of you veteran casters that has a high end BHN tester to see what you think. Its not at all that I dont dont trust where I got it or what they say it is. I just have a die hard habit of having to know for SURE what something is, especially since I intend on selling some of it and I want to be able to stand behind it 100%.
So, if you are a veteran caster who has forgotten more than I know about linotype. I sure could use the help. I will pay the shipping to you and you keep all the metal I send. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Thanks

40Super
11-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Yep thats Lino. It also looks to be un-remixed so it may be true pure lino.

badbob454
11-27-2012, 01:18 AM
nice score

cbrick
11-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Fathersalt,

Lino has no slush stage when you melt it. Get a decent thermometer and melt some, if it melts at 464 degrees and is liquid at 465 degrees (eutectic) you have lino.

There may be a few degrees difference between thermometers (they are not lab grade equipment) but still no slush stage.

Rick

PbHurler
11-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Dang, that sure is pretty. .80/lb, Great score!

kbstenberg
11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
There is also a guy (member here) that will take a small sample of your mystery metal and have it analyzed on one of those X ray machines perty cheaply. So you will know exactly what % of any elements it contains.

Fathersalt
11-27-2012, 11:03 AM
I will try a melt test. Thanks rick.
Stenberg, that sounds like a really cool process.
Thanks for the help guys.
Keep an eye out on the for sale boards. I intend on selling 400-500lbs of this metal. I think, LOL.

Actually, I may get a slap on the wrist for this, but this thread falls right in line with this.
Shoot me a PM, if you are interested in buying some of this linotype.
Thanks

cbrick
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Yep, you'll need to read the rules of Castboolits, there is a 25 post minimum and or a time frame before you can sell on the forum. I don't remember exactly how it reads but it should be easy enough to find.

Rick

Defcon-One
11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm late getting into this one but, in my opinion, it is all brand new Linotype spacers!

I would bet on exactly 4% Tin, 12% Antimony and 84% Lead!

Great Score, I'm gonna have to start following you around with a wallet full of cash.