View Full Version : Light bullets, adjusting the point of impact

dave_g
11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Okay, being a devout cheapskate I have ordered a Lee 452-160-RF mold so I can cast some lead savers. I'll be shooting these in a S&W 1937 Brazilian revolver. In my experience lighter bullets usually impact lower. Since this revolver has fixed sights I want to do what I can to adjust the POI. Should I raise or lower the velocity to raise the impact? How about powder choice? Slow burning or fast? Does it make any difference? Thanks.

MtGun44
11-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Light boolits hit low, heavy hit high, not very much difference with velocity,
but faster usually hit lower, but not always. I think you are stuck with low
impact, although maybe very low vel will help. The thing is that the low
vel allows the gun to recoil more while the boolit is still in the bbl, but
with such low recoil, the effect is likely to be small.

Bill

35 Whelen
11-22-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm in the same boat. I bought a copuple of SAA's in .44 Special for CAS competition. Everything was peachy with the Lyman 429421 @ 248 grs., but it seemed pointless to throw nearly 1/4 lb. of lead downrange at every station, so I ordered a mould that casts a 165 gr. bullet. Now my POI is 3" - 4" low at 10 yds. I don't want to file my sights down so I'm looking for options.
I'm using Red Dot and running them around 700 fps. Does anyone know if changing to a different burn rate powder would change the POI or is it simply a matter of physics?

35W

fecmech
11-22-2012, 03:45 PM
is it simply a matter of physics?
Yes. This is a situation "where you can't get there from here".

dave_g
11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I had a feeling that was going to be the answer but I wanted to ask anyway. I'm always hoping there's a trick that will get me past a problem. Usually there isn't. I'll just have to give it a try when the mold gets here and see how it does.

Thanks everyone, have a good Thanksgiving.