PDA

View Full Version : 7mm soupcan from Southwest Shooters supplies

rbeach
11-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I am new to making bolits for rifles and have just recieved the above mentioned mold. I will be using this in a 7-08 for plinking in my sons rifle. loading as light as possible. Do I use a gas check with this boolit. I have never messed with checks. Do I just purchase checks for my calibure? I know these are basic questionsbut help would be great.

quilbilly
11-21-2012, 03:25 PM
You bet. Just get a box of Hornady 7mm checks. Checks are easy. Take a look at my thread about terminal ballistics for the 7mm and 45 and you will get a little info about the performance of this particular boolit. Hopefully you already have a Lee push-through sizing die for 7mm to seat the checks. I will soon be testing this boolit to see how far down I can go in velocity and still stabilize this boolit but my theory is that my T/C carbine in 7mm TCU will still stabilize the boolit as low as mv 1450. Depends on the twist rat of your rifle, of course.

rbeach
11-21-2012, 04:18 PM
I have a push through sizer on order. And thanks for the help. I know yhe questions sound silly but its those first basic questions that always seem to keep me up at night. Thanks again.

quilbilly
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
FYI - I am rather new to this particular boolit as well but have been shooting the Lee 7mm 130 gr RNGC in my T/C carbine for years. That 130 gr boolit routinely shoots at 1.25" at 100 yards with occasional groups as low as 3/4" with the MV of about 1950 fps. I decided to try the Bator soup can 7mm because of the flat nose for hunting purposes but the initial groups were about 3" with the same load as the 130 gr. Currently I am experimenting with different powders at calculated velocities from 1400 to 2100 fps to improve the accuracy of the Bator Soup Can boolit. I will bet you will do the same in the future. Have fun and enjoy.

rbeach
11-21-2012, 06:23 PM
I might give that mold a try. Thanks

swheeler
11-22-2012, 02:12 AM
FYI - I am rather new to this particular boolit as well but have been shooting the Lee 7mm 130 gr RNGC in my T/C carbine for years. That 130 gr boolit routinely shoots at 1.25" at 100 yards with occasional groups as low as 3/4" with the MV of about 1950 fps. I decided to try the Bator soup can 7mm because of the flat nose for hunting purposes but the initial groups were about 3" with the same load as the 130 gr. Currently I am experimenting with different powders at calculated velocities from 1400 to 2100 fps to improve the accuracy of the Bator Soup Can boolit. I will bet you will do the same in the future. Have fun and enjoy.

I seem to remember this 7mm soup can mold, but not the Bator part, Oldfeller.

Tom Myers
11-22-2012, 09:39 AM
I am new to making bolits for rifles and have just recieved the above mentioned mold. I will be using this in a 7-08 for plinking in my sons rifle. loading as light as possible. Do I use a gas check with this boolit. I have never messed with checks. Do I just purchase checks for my calibure? I know these are basic questionsbut help would be great.

The Lee 7mm SoupCan from the group buy a few years back.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/Lee_6C_Mold_7mm_Soup_Can_134_gr_Sketch.Jpg

The 100 yard target from the first load that I tried with the Soup Can in my Browning Medallion 280 Remington.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/7mm%20Soupcan%20target.gif

quilbilly
11-22-2012, 01:48 PM
When I first got the mold from Midsouth it was stated as a Bator design. I am encouraged by your group size. I will keep working on it to find the right load for this T/C barrel. I have one T/C carbine barrel that took me almost five years to get the load right (of course that was before I had a range off my front porch).

swheeler
11-22-2012, 03:55 PM
When I first got the mold from Midsouth it was stated as a Bator design. I am encouraged by your group size. I will keep working on it to find the right load for this T/C barrel. I have one T/C carbine barrel that took me almost five years to get the load right (of course that was before I had a range off my front porch).

Quillbilly; I believe the Bator was the 22-55 gr sold by Midsouth and the 7mm soupcan was Kelly/Bob2.1 creation, I have both.

MT Gianni
11-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Quillbilly; I believe the Bator was the 22-55 gr sold by Midsouth and the 7mm soupcan was Kelly/Bob2.1 creation, I have both.

I think you have it right Scott.

dromia
11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Get your gas checks from Blammer here on the forum.

Great quality, great price and Blammer is one of us.