PDA

View Full Version : .45acp for Webley?

Ragnarok
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
So deep in the back of the gun-safe is a pile of ancient revolvers. Troubled old weapons brought home from gunshows past and various trade-deals.

Anyhow...my son asked me about a particular old Webley .45 revolver..and if we could fix it up and shoot it. This 1916 vintage Mark VI revolver isn't broken or anything...but has been converted to .45acp from .455 Webley. A fact I discovered after bringing it home from a gunshow many moons ago.

I had fired a few cylinders full of .45acp ball before further learning that .45acp factory ball was considered right at the ragged-edge of what's 'safe' in an old Webley revolver!! I lost interest in the gun and stashed it with other 'project handguns' for future consideration.

Anyhow, I have a bullet mold for 230gr lead round-nose...lots of .45acp brass...and many moon-clips for feeding my S&W 625 and Colt 1917 revolver. I just never worked up any .455 British level .45acp loads for the gun.

Anybody have a pet .45acp low-level load suitable for old converted Webley revolvers??

MtGun44
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
The first issue will be cylinder throat and barrel groove size. You may need to feed that
old girl HB boolits to fit the sizes that you have.

As far as pressures, I'd say stay away from Clays, as it builds pressures really fast and, even
though many ignore the book and load full service velocity with 230 boolits and bullets with it,
it is over pressure.

I'd try about 4.0 gr of Titegroup or Bullseye under a 230 or so cast. But the issue is what size.

Pin gage the throats and slug the bbl and I can give better advice. GUESSING that you will want
about .455 or .456 diam or HB slugs to bump up. The question is what is the max diam that the
chamber will accept?
Bill

Ragnarok
11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I wonder if Lee or RCBS etc makes a mold for the 265gr(or whatever weight) Webley bullet.

Some research on the subject would lead me to believe the bore should be in the .454/.455 size range...but I have not measured my revolver bore or chamber mouths.

I have lead balls in .451 .454 and .457 diameters(because percussian .44 revolvers ain't all the same size either)....I'll see if I can slug the bore...and get some sort of chamber mouth dimensions.

Wolfer
11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I have one made in 1918. I've never slugged it because I shot some lee 228-1R sized 452 ahead of I believe 4 gr of clays. Runs a little over 800 fps and is more accurate than I would expect it to be. At 15 yds if you hold it on a grouses head and do your part you won't have to eat supper from a can.

Ragnarok
11-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I had shot a box or two of regular 230gr. ball ammo from my Webley after I got it..and before I read standard pressure .45acp was a bit stiff for converted Webleys. Accuracy was really decent if I recall.

After learning of the pressure differences between .455 Webley and .45acp...I made a trial production of blackpowder .45acp with lead roundnose 230 grainers just for smoke and boom. These worked ok...probably similiar velocity to the old .455 ammo...

uhhg...had a drooling snotty grandkid fighting me for the keyboard just now!

Anyhow...after the messy BP loads..I put the revolver up and never worked with it since.

L1A1Rocker
11-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Miha just did a GB not too long ago on a cramer hollow base Webley mold. If you like, and have the disposable cash, shoot Miha a PM to see if he has any left. I was sorely tempted to get one, if I had a Webley I darn sure would have.

5.7 MAN
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
I used Remington 250 Grain bulk lead bullets for the 45 colt when I had my webley, they worked pretty well. I believe they are .455 and have a slight hollow base.