PDA

View Full Version : Deer hanging.

44man
11-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I went out yesterday afternoon to my ground seat. I looked to my right to see a small deer 10' from me behind some branches. I turned the Ultra Dot on, cocked the hammer and started to move. The deer bolted out to my front, about 20 yards. I put the JRH on it and put a 440 gr through the shoulders.
I went out this morning and a good size deer came out heading for the fence. It was a little quartered to me, walking. I put the dot on and shot it right in front of the left shoulder with exit behind the right leg. It spun and ran towards me into the thick and dropped. Spike buck and he was about 120 yards when I shot and only feet from jumping the fence.
Hunting is done until I get them cut up.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Great hunt. We also had a vangard year, 5 out of 5 filled their own tags. My son shot his first deer, he really lite up with excitement. 3 of our party got their very first deer this year.

This year there were not many deer, but everything was a buck. We had 4 deer down by 9:00 opening morning. Of course most of them fell into the bottom of the canyon and it was 2:30 by the time they were in the back of pick up trucks.

white eagle
11-21-2012, 02:03 PM
at least you are seeing them

44man
11-21-2012, 03:47 PM
at least you are seeing them
It hurts to have you where deer are few. We have many but when shooting starts everything changes. Times when not a single one is seen.
Other properties have shots going on all day and the deer have to come from there to here. Food to bedding.
Deer are full of corn and I don't know if it is from fields or feeders. It is legal to shoot over food here. I hardly ever use my feeder, corn prices are crazy.
I am a lazy hunter. I hunt for a few hours morning and evening. I can't stay out all day.

Dennis Eugene
11-21-2012, 10:10 PM
In what world is a spike Buck considered "a good size deer"? Dennis

Wis. Tom
11-21-2012, 10:19 PM
My wife was a deer shooting machine on opening weekend. Two good sized doe, a beautiful 10 point buck, and two more doe on Sunday. I spent the weekend cleaning deer, but it is priceless seeing the joy from my wife, with her successful hunt.

coverbw
11-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Made my first open sight pistol kill. Also my first with a boolit I casted. Small doe at 20 yards with a Mihec 432640HP.54290

smoked turkey
11-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Congratulations to all you who have filled your tags (and your freezer) from shootin with a handgun. Good job. My hat is off to you. I haven't "graduated" to the short gun yet. But I will, just haven't yet.

waksupi
11-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Heck Dennis, I have shot deer with spots, and milk on their chins! They looked a lot bigger before I pulled the trigger, though....

rintinglen
11-22-2012, 04:10 AM
I never saw a buck this year while I had a gun in my hand. Congrats to you successful hunters. "Wait til next year."

WaywardSon
11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
I didn't see any decent bucks, but that was OK...meat hunting this year & don't need any more on the wall. This was my first year hunting with a pistol as well. I had several come in on me around 8:00...all does except for one spike buck with one antler. Decided to take him out of the gene pool. Broadside at about 40 yds. the Ruger SBH .44 Mag did the job, DRT. Bullet was a 265 gr. Mihec that one of the forum members here was kind enough to send me a sample of...shoots very well in both the Ruger and a Marlin 1894.

I hunt on the ground and the does that were with the spike never really left...one in particular kept checking me out. Curiosity finally got the best of her & she got too close...ran about 50 yds to the lowest spot on the farm & piled up. I learned a couple of things about myself that morning. I can still shoot well enough with an iron sighted pistol to kill a deer....and I am too old to be dragging those suckers out of the woods:D

44man
11-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Our deer grow fast. He is heavy but not so large he will be tough and stinky. I did not see the spikes at the distance. Thought it was a large doe. I have shot several 200# doe here but it is not common.
Not like Ohio that I am from where average bucks ran 240# and I have seen them to 420#. Ours don't get that large. Yet he is a good body size. Hot climates do not get huge deer.
I am a meat hunter and a small deer is always better. I never hunt antlers. Many times I see a large buck with a doe in trail, I shoot the doe.
I shot too many bucks I could not eat. I would rather they breed.

monge
11-23-2012, 07:24 AM
great kills 44man in my eyes eneny deer is a trophy and the young ones always taste better Im hunting hard have not seen a deer in gun season yet but I got a doe with my bow. Got my 45-70 and 44sp loaded with casts waiting for that first cast kill!

44man
11-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I didn't see any decent bucks, but that was OK...meat hunting this year & don't need any more on the wall. This was my first year hunting with a pistol as well. I had several come in on me around 8:00...all does except for one spike buck with one antler. Decided to take him out of the gene pool. Broadside at about 40 yds. the Ruger SBH .44 Mag did the job, DRT. Bullet was a 265 gr. Mihec that one of the forum members here was kind enough to send me a sample of...shoots very well in both the Ruger and a Marlin 1894.

I hunt on the ground and the does that were with the spike never really left...one in particular kept checking me out. Curiosity finally got the best of her & she got too close...ran about 50 yds to the lowest spot on the farm & piled up. I learned a couple of things about myself that morning. I can still shoot well enough with an iron sighted pistol to kill a deer....and I am too old to be dragging those suckers out of the woods:D
I like that. Same with me, can't lift the deer into the machine without going for help.
I sit and look at my revolver and wonder why, but it always works. I also think I should bring a rifle so I can shoot anything I see. Then the deer I can't shoot at are free. I just do not need to shoot. Let them go.
I quit the trophy stuff long ago when I found I hated the meat. The waste of an animal just for antlers bothered me. I will not pass a young deer now because they are the best to eat.
People buy lamb and veal because someone else kills them. They hunt for a huge nasty buck for pride and the meat might be tossed.
If you shoot a button buck or yearling you are good to go. A nice doe is great.
Size means nothing and is not a thing to brag about. My little deer will be enjoyed much more.

44man
11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
great kills 44man in my eyes eneny deer is a trophy and the young ones always taste better Im hunting hard have not seen a deer in gun season yet but I got a doe with my bow. Got my 45-70 and 44sp loaded with casts waiting for that first cast kill!
I wish you good luck.
I feel so bad right now. A friend is getting chemo and can't make it up to hunt. I might go out this afternoon but it is just not the same without a friend or two.

Gibson
11-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Dang, 44man. Kinda creepy, when I first glimpsed the images I thought it was one of my ancestors.

JUDGE LYNCH :)

Good on you amigo. Haven't seen a deer but still it's kind of fun sitting in the woods in the dark listening to those wonderful sounds. Like I said, makes me feel closer to God.

PS: My 500 magnum got back today! Man, I as happy as a sissy in a CC Camp :) They had to put a new barrel on.

tek4260
11-24-2012, 01:38 AM
So why do you hang your deer upside down 44man? Isn't it easier to use a gambrel?

Lloyd Smale
11-24-2012, 07:18 AM
44 man i thought you could shoot more then two a year down there. Dennis, ive shot some spikes that were kind of small but ive seen them go as big as a good sized two year old doe. My dad shot one spike about 3 years ago that went 130lbs gutted. We actually dont see many does much bigger then that here and ive shot 8 pointers that were no bigger in the body then that.

44man
11-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I have always hung my deer by the neck, seems easier to skin. I have a gambrel but never used it.
Lloyd, I think we can get up to 10. I need 4 more for the sisters where I hunt. I seen one this morning for 3 steps and too far anyway. Seems with the moon they are bedded before light.
I have always figured with a bright moon they see better and feed more at night, get full and go to bed. Anyway movement during the day is way down right now. Trails are full of fresh tracks but they have gone through early.
Movement is a cycle. If you have one group to watch you will see them at say 10 AM, next day earlier and so on until they will be at your stand when it is still dark. From that point you will not see a deer until the cycle changes. There is nothing you can do but be in the woods with a lot of wasted time. There are days you need to stay in bed and go out at noon.
You can tell when the cycle is off. You will hear only a distant shot or two. Doe season ALWAYS started when deer moved more at night! :mad:
All you can do is give it time, they will come around again. Sad for those that have to go to work at the right times.

Frosty Boolit
11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Button buck is the tastiest I ever had.

44man
11-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Button buck is the tastiest I ever had.
Or a young doe. I hunt to eat. Farmers raise meat to eat, people buy meat to eat. If meat is tough and strong it will not be sold any more.
Choice, aged meat is the best.
The worst meat I ever ate was an old milk cow. I take that back, it was a huge buck that could ruin a pressure cooker.
I have never understood trophy hunting. Do you like lamb chops or mutton? How about old goat?