PDA

View Full Version : Sausage and patties seasoning advice (pork)

Adam10mm
11-20-2012, 11:39 PM
About a month ago, I slaughtered and butchered a pig on my inlaws' farm for my family. Pretty small one, only about 130-135lb live weight estimate. Enough for my family. Poor guy took a closeup headshot from my 10mm.

Before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0119_zps2aea800c.jpg

After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN0152_zps9c0a6933.jpg

I ended up with about 28lbs of fat and scraps with the idea of making sausage and burgers/patties out of it. I borrowed my father in law's meat grinder which is really old and barely suitable for home use. The chute is 5 inches long and maybe 1.5 inches wide. Let's say it took a couple hours to grind that up with the large size blade. :veryconfu

I'm looking for some recipes for spicing the grind. I'd like to get more into the burger and patty stuff as I am currently saving up for a sausage stuffer, maybe even a small 5lb capacity one. I don't have much money so it will take some time to squirrel away money for sausage. Maybe in January.

What spices or seasonings do you guys use for pork patties and sausage? If I get a deer this season, I can grind up some venison for that mix, so I welcome recipes/ideas that work with either all pork or a pork/venison blend.

Hickory
11-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Looks like that little piggy went to market.

2 lbs trimmed deer or other big game meat
1 lb lean bacon ends or slab bacon
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon dried crushed sage leaves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon black pepper
Course grind game meat and bacon place in large bowl. Mix in rest of ingredients.

KYCaster
11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Here's a site with lots of recipes:

http://thespicysausage.com/sausagemakingrecipes.htm

I tried their Breakfast Sausage #3 with venison that had 5% beef fat added and it was delicious.

Jerry

Bodydoc447
11-21-2012, 12:37 PM
This is the one I use:

Fresh Breakfast Sausage
from Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas
Ingredients for 10 Lbs:
• 10 lbs. boneless pork butts
• 4 Tb. salt
• 1 Tb. ground white pepper
• 2 Tb. rubbed sage
• 1 tsp. ginger
• 1 Tb. nutmeg
• 1 Tb. thyme
• 1 Tb. ground hot red pepper (optional)
• 2 cups ice water
You can make excellent breakfast sausage using 100% pork butts. This product is of such high quality that it is never seen in a meat market and can only be had by making it yourself. You can also make a breakfast sausage of 50% pork butts and 50% pork trimmings and you would still have a sausage of high quality.
All the pork used to make sausage must be chilled to 32-35° F. Be sure that all the meat is free of blood clots, sinews, bone, skin, glands, etc.
Grind all of the meat through a 3/16" grinder plate and place in a mixing tub. Add all the ingredients and mix well until all the spices are evenly distributed.
Pork sausage may be stuffed into 28-30mm hog casings or 22-24mm lamb casings. Pork sausage may also be stuffed into a cloth bag or a 3 1/2" x 24" fibrous casing. It is very important that the sausage not be allowed to remain at room temperature any longer than necessary. Place in a cooler as soon as possible. Pork sausage should be allowed to chill and dry in a 28-32° F cooler.

Doc

PS This copied from his book so the self agrandisement is his not mine.

Moonie
11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Been using this site for years:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/AlphabeticalList.htm

Adam10mm
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Dale in Louisiana
11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Or you could for get the sausage and make salt pork. You need a lot of kosher salt (coarse) or pickling salt (fine). And pork. Fat or lean or both. Options include dried red pepper and coarsely ground or cracked black pepper.

The procedure is simple. in a big glass jar (gallon works nicely) or crock, layer some salt, a layer of pork, spices, more salt, more pork, etc. The last layer should be an inch of salt. Stick in the proverbial cool, dry place. Lasts forever.

Other recipes say to do this in a refrigerator and to pour off the liquid, but great grandma didn't have no stinkin' refrigerator and the liquid that forms is a saturated brine that does not support any life on this planet, so it's all good.

To use, fish a bit of the meat and fat out, rinse, cut up, and use for your bean or green recipes.

If your doctor says salt is bad for you, then back off. This stuff'll kill you. It got Great grandma at the age of ninety-six.

dale in Louisiana