PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Plunger Detent Spring

41 mag fan
11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
I lost my detent spring to my Remington R1. Is there an easy replacement spring I could buy from a hardware store or do I need to go thru Brownells? I looked on there but the only thing they offer is the 1911 Auto Plunger Detent Assembly. Shipping costs will cost more than the part does.
Thanks to any who can offer me guidance here

Artful
11-20-2012, 09:58 PM
you talking about this?
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/plunger-spring-assemblies/1911-auto-plunger-detent-assembly-prod42378.aspx#.UKwyfOS_HT8

I'd visit the local gunsmith - bet he has some in stock - or visit the local bullseye shooters group - spares are a necessary evil for competition shooting

DCM
11-20-2012, 10:28 PM
When you get the new one I would intentionally put a very SMALL kink in the middle of it so it stays in the plunger tube rather than launching itself.
Just enough so there is slight tension against the tube.
I can't really describe this very well, help please!

Mk42gunner
11-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Did you lose just the spring or did you also lose one of the two plungers with it?

Robert

41 mag fan
11-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Did you lose just the spring or did you also lose one of the two plungers with it?

Robert

No I lost just the spring. For some reason, it was hard to get out, the safety plunger came out, so i used a paper clip to help pull the spring out. I pulled, it separated from the slide stop plunger, it launched and disappeared into the abyss of the shop.
Never thought of trying the gunsmiths.... might take a drive in the morning before work.

41 mag fan
11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
you talking about this?
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/plunger-spring-assemblies/1911-auto-plunger-detent-assembly-prod42378.aspx#.UKwyfOS_HT8

I'd visit the local gunsmith - bet he has some in stock - or visit the local bullseye shooters group - spares are a necessary evil for competition shooting

Yes thats it Artful.... I'm gonna take a drive to the gunsmiths and see what he's got in the morning. Never thought of seeing if they'd have any. Thanks!

MtGun44
11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Correct spring should have a twist applied in the middle to cause it to stay put and NOT
fall out. Pulling it out is rarely necessary. You might lose it. :bigsmyl2:

Basically, nothing but the correct spring will work.
Bill

Artful
11-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes thats it Artful.... I'm gonna take a drive to the gunsmiths and see what he's got in the morning. Never thought of seeing if they'd have any. Thanks!

Did you get one?

lkydvl
11-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I have just a few(!) from Steve. Are you still needing one?

Andre`

RG1911
11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Recommendation: What I did with my Remington R1 was to remove that entire plunger mess. Brownell's sells an inexpensive spacer that takes up the space that was used by the two levers. It's a 5-minute job.

Richard

41 mag fan
12-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I have just a few(!) from Steve. Are you still needing one?

Andre`

Andre if you got a couple, i'd sure like to buy them.
Pm sent