PDA

View Full Version : What have I got here??

fecmech
11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
I recently came across these 4 molds. They seem pretty crude and appear fairly old to me. Two of them have numbers on the handle that don't seem to mean anything as far as size. My guess is for muzzle loaders?? Anyone know for sure anything about them and if any value to them?? Thanks Nick

downwind
11-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I recently came across these 4 molds. They seem pretty crude and appear fairly old to me. Two of them have numbers on the handle that don't seem to mean anything as far as size. My guess is for muzzle loaders?? Anyone know for sure anything about them and if any value to them?? Thanks Nick

Those are known by todays blackpowder crowd as BAG MOLDS

The numbers usually pertain to Guage size

Some people collect these, but I'm not sure on value

Also some companies make reproductions of theses type molds

That is a sprue cutter behind the hinge pivot pin

Hope this helps

DOWNWIND

I'll Make Mine
11-20-2012, 10:31 PM
The .570 should be right for a .58 with a pillow ticking patch; .540 is oversize for a .54 with a patch, might be for loading with wads in a smoothbore (with a patch, it'd fit 28 gauge). The .390 is a plain old oddball size, might be useful for punkin' ball in a .410 or for round ball in a .38 black powder cartridge rifle (like .38-40 or .38-55). The .373 is just about right for a nominal .36 cap & ball revolver.

runfiverun
11-21-2012, 12:44 AM
those numbers on the handle quite often indicate how many balls you'll get from a lb of lead.

Wayne Smith
11-21-2012, 03:19 PM
those numbers on the handle quite often indicate how many balls you'll get from a lb of lead.
Which is the gauge.

JIMinPHX
11-21-2012, 10:48 PM
It's a little hard to see in the picture, but if some of those balls have a band around them, then the mold is probably for a 2-groove Whitworth rifle.

edit:
My mistake, the 2-groove rifle that I was thinking of was the Brunswick, not the Whitworth. From what I read, the invention of the 2-groove Brunswick was credited to either Captain Berner or Brenner of the Brunswick Army. From the pictures, it looks to be a percussion front stuffer. The mold for the banded balls looks just like the ones in the pictures above. Ref:Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook, 3'd edition, page 16.

Janoosh
11-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the Whitworth rifle a hexagonal bore, and the Baker rifle a Two groove bore? A round ball mold, of appropriate caliber, MAY work with either firearm. Good luck with them.

fecmech
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks to those who have replied. It appears the numbers would correspond to the gauge or number of balls per lb. There is no band on the one ball it's just the edge of the parting surface.

Wayne Smith
11-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the Whitworth rifle a hexagonal bore, and the Baker rifle a Two groove bore? A round ball mold, of appropriate caliber, MAY work with either firearm. Good luck with them.

You are right. The Whitworth predated the Baker, too.

JIMinPHX
11-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the Whitworth rifle a hexagonal bore, and the Baker rifle a Two groove bore?

My mistake, the 2-groove rifle that I was thinking of was the Brunswick, not the Whitworth. From what I read, the invention of the 2-groove Brunswick was credited to either Captain Berner or Brenner of the Brunswick Army. From the pictures, it looks to be a percussion front stuffer. The mold for the banded balls looks just like the ones in the pictures above. Ref:Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook, 3'd edition, page 16.

Frank46
11-27-2012, 12:39 AM
The large one could be for the 58 caliber asperly aimless that had the lock mounted on top of the barrel much like some muzzle loading cannon. Buckshot who is our resident expert on all things related to the asperly aimless firearms may see this and help out. Frank

fecmech
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
You tryin to start something here Frank:kidding::hijack: