PDA

View Full Version : No deer yet

44man
11-20-2012, 03:16 PM
I seen many yesterday but my spot is so over grown I see them for 4 to 5 steps only. They are not feeding and moving with many on a dead run. I won't try a revolver shot if I am not sure.
I went this morning and did not see a single deer. I have to let it settle from opening day with all the hunters out.
Been taking the .500 JRH and came up with a name for it. MIX MASTER from the Trembler movie. I can't wait to take another with it.
I took a friends son and he shot his first deer, a small doe. I got to his deer and said "it is not gutted" so I had to help him. He had no problem digging in but made a mess of the deer and himself. Then I had to yell at him when he stuck his knife in the ground between cuts. :violin:More yelling for him to get his other hand out of the way.
He was trying to hide his excitement but failed to follow what I said so I knew he was blown away.
All in all I feel good for him and I kept him safe from the knife. Next time I will show him better but I had to get him over going in to an animal. You can't do for them, just instruct.
Strange how many directions a knife can point!

newton
11-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I remember the first time I shot a deer. I thought, "what now???". I called a friend that I knew hunted a lot and he came over and talked me through it. He said, "see that tail, lift it up and cut all around those holes". I thought, "what the...". But he showed me right for sure.

He was a taxidermist and was glad to see that my gutting knife was just a 3" lock back blade. He said that he would constantly see guys bring a deer in and have blood all the way up to their elbows and just a mess everywhere else. The way he showed me I can just about clean up myself with one little wet wipe when I'm done.

Of course, things change depending on where you hit an animal. But you done good by helping a kid out like that. I have taken a couple myself and both times I was the one doing the cleaning. I need a tad more patience when it comes to this so that they can learn by doing.

subsonic
11-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Good for him. Hopefully the start of a long series of hunts!

No deer in MO either weekend. All running or behind stuff. There was one standing behind a 10" cedar broadside. I almost tried it with the .475 ;-)

12/15-12/25 is "alternative methods season" and I'll be back after them with the .475.

44man
11-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Good for him. Hopefully the start of a long series of hunts!

No deer in MO either weekend. All running or behind stuff. There was one standing behind a 10" cedar broadside. I almost tried it with the .475 ;-)

12/15-12/25 is "alternative methods season" and I'll be back after them with the .475.
I feel good. He has been in wrong situations with the wrong kids. Not his fault, just got trapped and was never charged with anything.
I want him to grow up a sportsman. I want him to respect animals. To steer him right is just so important to me. His dad has been my friend at work forever and has had too many problems with his wife. She is long gone and he has a job raising his boys.