PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli 45-90 troubles

Steve H
11-20-2012, 03:03 PM
I have a new, unfired Pedersoli 45-90 John Bodine and find that with 535 gr Lyman bullets that I have can not be put into the rifle without pulling the hammer way past full cock. What gives here?
Pedersoli and my gunsmith have no idea what to do to solve the problem.
They are loaded to 3.430 inch OAL and could go out another 15/000 before touching rifling.
Yes the hammer is already flattened off at the top by the factory and can't go down further and still hit the firing pin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bent Ramrod
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
There is a certain length of cylindrical .45 cartridges beyond which it is hard to clear the hammer. Ken Waters had this problem with a Navy Arms rolling block he had chambered in .45-2.75" or .458 RCBS, as he called it in Pet Loads. He mentioned George Nonte's solution to the problem, which was grinding a slight semicircle out of the top of the hammer to clear the shell, or, alternately, to hold the hammer back while loading as you are doing. He also mentioned having to be careful with the extractor hook, which would allow the shell rim to get ahead of it unless it was pushed in ahead of the cartridge.

The big calibers for the original Remingtons were bottlenecks like .44-77 and .44-90 which could angle in past the hammer. The .45-70 is short enough to clear the hammer even with 500 gr bullets.

Steve H
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
In other words you are saying: live with it.

rbertalotto
11-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Yup, that's how it works.......even my 45-70 Rolling Block with 535g bullets are hard to clear the hammer........Just how it is!

mehavey
11-20-2012, 11:16 PM
unfired Pedersoli 45-90 John Bodine and find that with 535 gr Lyman bullets that
I have can not be put into the rifle without pulling the hammer way past full cock.
Not unusual. In fact I'd say it's quite normal for that rifle, that cartridge and that bullet combo.
(My same Bodine requires an OAL of no greater than 3.226" with the Lyman 535 Postell to be
able to clear the hammer on max pullback.) Fact of life that still works OK.

Steve H
11-23-2012, 10:55 AM
I am definetly going to try breech seating. Eliminates length problem and would increase powder capacity and hopefully accuracy.

cajun shooter
11-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Have you tried any of the bullets from the Saeco 735 moulds or any that they sell at Sagebrush Outfitters?
If another bullet will not solve your problem, then the removal of a small amount of metal as has been suggested seems to be an easy fix with no ill effects.

montana_charlie
11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
If another bullet will not solve your problem, then the removal of a small amount of metal as has been suggested seems to be an easy fix with no ill effects.
In the OP he said ...

Yes the hammer is already flattened off at the top by the factory and can't go down further and still hit the firing pin.

John Taylor
11-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Someone good with a TIG welder could add a little length to the trigger to hold the hammer back as far as it would go so you don't have to hold it back. Cupping the top of the hammer will also give a little more clearance. Could also add a little weld to the extractor if it is going back to far and not catching the rim on loading. Breach seating is also a good idea or paper patch and load from the muzzle like Pope did.

mehavey
11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't get too wrapped around the breech-seating axle unless/until you find accuracy with fixed ammunition (w/ the Lyman Postell) to be unacceptable. You may find it performs better than you expect:

My Pedersoli Bodine here:
(Properly-Sized [.458/9] Lyman Postells were a close second)

johnson1942
11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
why not just shoot a 500 grain military bullet. properly loaded it should print a bumble bee. group. my friend whats to get a 45/70 and that is the one he is saveing for. cryo the barrel you wont be sorry. that is one fine gun.

cajun shooter
11-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Don't shoot me at sunrise MC as I just overlooked that as many others here have done in the past. I always mean well with my postings and only try to help.

montana_charlie
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Don't shoot me at sunrise MC as I just overlooked that
Not intended as recrimination.
Since you were (at least) the second to provide that recommendation, it was looking like a trend.
I mentioned it so the author wouldn't have to.

Better for you to be mad at me than at him ...

CM

MT Chambers
11-29-2012, 09:05 PM
On a rolling block action, the hammer must be at full cock and the block rolled completely back before a cartridge can be introduced to the chamber. If this doesn't work, repeat steps 1 and 2 until you are succesful.