PDA

View Full Version : looking for my evil twin

sergeant69
11-20-2012, 01:30 PM
that son of a goat done called Star and ordered a bullet feeder and an air lube feeder. soon as i find that boy i'm gonna whip his butt.

VHoward
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Got the disease bad eh? :-)

cbrick
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
Kinda sounds like he is the "Good Son". When you find him give him a big thanks and buy him a beer. If you don't now you will after you use the air pressure system. :mrgreen:

Rick

sergeant69
11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Got the disease bad eh? :-)

yea, off and on since the early 70's. now that i'm retired and have around 1000lbs of WW smelted, a new 1911, 2 old 30-30s made around 1915, etc etc. just popped 3 deer w/the mod 94 and cast bullets. i am definantely ON again.

sergeant69
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Kinda sounds like he is the "Good Son". When you find him give him a big thanks and buy him a beer. If you don't now you will after you use the air pressure system. :mrgreen:

Rick

looking forward to it!

VHoward
11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
I bought the air cylinder with the sizer from Magma. So I never experienced having to turn a handle to maintain pressure. Don't know if I would want to. Been thinking about getting the auto bullet feeder though. After what one of the other members went through recently with taking a chunk out of his finger with the star, it seems like a good idea.

cbrick
11-20-2012, 02:58 PM
After what one of the other members went through recently with taking a chunk out of his finger with the star, it seems like a good idea.

If I remember that thread correctly he was using a home made motor operated system, not the Star handle. It was running on automatic and he put his finger in the way. Not good but not the Star's fault either. Man I bet that hurt.

EDIT: Just re-read that thread, wasn't the auto system but I remember from awhile back someone that built an auto system did the same thing. I'll bet it really hurt anyway.

Rick

VHoward
11-20-2012, 07:46 PM
that son of a goat done called Star and ordered a bullet feeder and an air lube feeder. soon as i find that boy i'm gonna whip his butt.

Your evil twin struck here today also. Ordered the heated base and the bullet feeder. Too bad he didn't use your credit card instead of mine. :-D

sergeant69
11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
hes getting to be a real pain in the butt. when i find him i'm gonna make him sit down and set up all these accessories he bought, then crank out a coupla thousand rds. hes getting outta hand he is.

shootinfox2
11-23-2012, 10:44 AM
The star had an air cylinder assist instead of the handle. The bullet feeder was installed. The air was to operate the sizer. It was not on automatic. I hit the switch while reaching over the bench. My finger was in the way of the ram and it took a .452 plug out of it. It hurt!!!! It is almost completely healed(7 weeks). Got the collater to keep everything away from the machine.

Fox

astroskg
11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
wondering if you have received yours yet . ordered mine the day before and have not seen or herd from them yet.

sergeant69
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
not yet, BUT i asked em to hold off shipping until the dragon went back to work after the holiday so they probably only sent it today or yesterday. i don't need any more "AGAIN"? looks when UPS shows up.

astroskg
11-28-2012, 06:09 PM
thanks for your update.. yes i know that look got it yesterday because of a RotoMetal order that came in that i hadn't gotten preauthorization on hay it was a black friday special i couldn't pass up ha ha ha guess i need to start blaming it on my Evil Twin seemed to work for you.

cbrick
11-28-2012, 06:53 PM
i asked em to hold off shipping until the dragon went back to work after the holiday, i don't need any more "AGAIN"? looks when UPS shows up.

Not to worry, once she see's how happy you are using the air system her heart will flutter with joy for you.

Rick

sergeant69
11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
yea well, something would flutter alright. and expel gas. but it wouldn't be her heart!

cbrick
11-28-2012, 07:12 PM

runfiverun
11-28-2012, 08:12 PM
airc magma uses fed-ex to ship.
it generally takes them 7-9 days for their dog to walk here from arizona.
dillon does it through usps and can get it here in 7 with a holiday and a weekend in between.

ReloaderFred
11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
I've purchased a lot of things from Magma, and it's all come USPS Flat Rate Boxes, except for my Case Master jr.

Hope this helps.

Fred

VHoward
11-28-2012, 08:59 PM
My bullet feeder and heated base came USPS priority mail and arrived in 4 days the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

cbrick
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Now that I think about it . . . Everything I have ever recieved from Magma was shipped USPS.

Rick

sergeant69
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
just now got it via USPS. worked out great, shes at work.
"when i practice to deceive, my packages i do receive"

sergeant69
11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
ok. got er up and running like a raped ape. kinda sorta. there was about 1/4 stick left of the other lube (i now am using the magma lube) and i think i need to get out all the old stuff. am sizing 44 mag HP GC and the lube groove is not filling every time. but...i hear "pops" on every stroke so i think there is some air that needs to get out. the heater is up high (how do you measure the heat)? and the pressure is around 85 lbs. very little if any lube on the nose and base of the rds. really need to get the old lube run thru it i think.

cbrick
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Aren't new toys great? Even better when they work so well. :mrgreen:

Yep, if there is old dried lube in there it has to go.

Rick

sergeant69
11-30-2012, 10:03 AM
actually the "old" lube was ok stuff, was just not what i want to be using. the blue lube from magma works better but needs more heat. i keep reaching up to turn the screw to increase pressure tho.

VHoward
11-30-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm running White Label Lube carnuba red at 105 degrees and the air cylinder at 40 psi. I find that with the bullet feeder the lube seems to run out faster and I have to stop every once in a while to let the heater catch up heating the lube.

I have a temp sensor installed in the inspection plug. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=6 this is the one I used and it's hooked up to a PID unit. I set the PID for 105 degrees and it turns the heater on or off depending on temp.

cbrick
11-30-2012, 05:43 PM
VHoward, some questions on that if you don't mind. The temp sensor that you linked to, is that the correct thread for the Star clean out plug? What about the PID, does the heater simply plug into it instead of the wall outlet? Where did you get the PID?

I have Midway heaters on both of my Star's & have a thermometer attached to the base but I just love toys (gonna be my downfall) and that is just too cool to pass up.

Thanks,

Rick

sergeant69
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
i'm using the blue stuff from magma and i'm kinda worried that it is a little too hard to work right. i'm sure it will stay in the lube groove during bullet shipment, but i don't ship bullets. i'm having to run it at 80 psi to fill the grooves, and hot. i kept turning up the heat to see what would happen and when it runs liquid i dial it back. if i get some lube on the nose i dial get a full groove. i don't like it dat a way so i settle for some bullets w/just a smidgen of a bare spot. think i'm gonna mix the magma stuff w/a softer lube and see what happens.

VHoward
11-30-2012, 08:37 PM
VHoward, some questions on that if you don't mind. The temp sensor that you linked to, is that the correct thread for the Star clean out plug? What about the PID, does the heater simply plug into it instead of the wall outlet? Where did you get the PID?

I have Midway heaters on both of my Star's & have a thermometer attached to the base but I just love toys (gonna be my downfall) and that is just too cool to pass up.

Thanks,

Rick

I drilled and tapped the inspection plug to accept the sensor. I had to put a 1/4" spacer under the sensor to keep it from going to deep and interfering with the pump mechanism. Then I sealed the sensor where the wire comes out of it with epoxy because if you don't, then lube will leak through there slowly. I built the PID unit from parts gotten from Auberins. The heaters plug into the PID I built, then the PID unit plugs into the wall outlet. There is a thread here on cast boolits telling how to build one and they give a list of parts and wiring diagrams. I made it so the temp sensors could be plugged in and unplugged as I also got a high temp K type thermocouple for my RCBS Pro Melt pot and I just move the PID unit between the two and change the target temp according to what I'm doing with it.

I just found this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-240VAC-PID-Temperature-Controller-Max-40A-SSR-Heat-Sink-2m-K-probe-/121013503134?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2cf7849e) kit on ebay for $28 shipped. But you have to wait for it to come from china. It includes what you need. You just need to put it into your own enclosure. Cheaper than what I paid for the stuff through Auberins.

VHoward
11-30-2012, 08:44 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34547-How-I-wired-a-PID-to-control-temperature
Thread about wiring a PID to control tempurature.

sergeant69
11-30-2012, 10:52 PM
ya'll done hi-teched me outta this conversation. but its a good one.

VHoward
12-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread. I directed him to the other thread so he can get the PID info there.

sergeant69
12-01-2012, 02:15 AM
no no. didn't mean it that way. hijack away. one question. what a PID?

sergeant69
12-01-2012, 02:16 AM
Personal Insertion Device? would the dragon want one for xmas?

HATCH
12-01-2012, 10:44 AM
I use magma green lube. It takes 115 degrees and 80psi in my setup.

The feeder looks nice but i would want one of those fancy (read expensive) tumbler things that puts the boolits in the tube if I got a feeder.

PID is just a fancy name for temperature controller
I got one on my star, one on my lee 4-20 pot and one to control the pot temp on my master caster.
I would't cast without one.

sent from my mobile.

sergeant69
12-01-2012, 10:58 AM
sounds useful! but.......like star wars stuff too. i can rebuild a chevy 350 4 bolt main but can't work the remote to play DVD. i have to walk over to the TV and physically hit the buttons. my kids can sit on the couch (when they are here to visit) and do it. not fair.

cbrick
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I've got the PID on the Master Pot, don't know how I ever cast a boolit without it, what a great toy that is. No Star Wars stuff with the PID, if you can look at a digital number and think that's too cool and push an up arrow until the number says what you want you can do it.

The switch on the right is OFF-ON.
The green number on top is the alloy temp in the pot.
The red number under the green number is your set temp.

If you want to increase the set temp push the up arrow, one degree for each push.
If you want to decrease the set temp push the down arrow.

No need to call the 8 year old Grandson to figure this out. :mrgreen:

Rick

sergeant69
12-01-2012, 11:25 AM
yea..........but getting all the parts right etc? what is the actual heating element?

cbrick
12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
yea..........but getting all the parts right etc? what is the actual heating element?

The pot's heater. The PID simply control's the on/off automatically. When the temp of alloy reaches the set temp is shuts off, as the alloy cools and nears the set temp it turns on. You get a much more consistent alloy temp & far more accurate than the pot's dial plus you have a constant readout of the alloy temp with no thermometer in the way in the pot.

Can you cast perfectly good boolits without a PID? :shock: Of course, people have been doing for hundreds of years but what a handy/great toy it is.

Rick

HATCH
12-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I can turn it on and walk away. When i come back its at the right temp every time. No making adjustment if the pot gets low. Just set once and forget it .
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/02/y9abuza8.jpg

That is the control panel for my master caster. Its heating up right now.

sent from my mobile.

sergeant69
12-01-2012, 02:24 PM
star wars

HATCH
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Its not that fancy but it is nice.

Think of it this way. You just adjust lead pour which takes about a minute and then you can go do something else till it runs it of lead.
Figure 35 lbs at 7000 grains. That's 1500+ 158 grain 38s. Or about 2.5 hrs running time on the machine.

sent from my mobile.