PDA

View Full Version : Problem - need helpful opinionated solution

OnHoPr
11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a TC Encore in 300 win mag and 209x50 cal. When I shoot it from the bench it seems to do alright, but when shooting offhand or from the top stick of a brush blind or in hunting rest situations I frequently pull my shot to the left about 4 to 6 inches. I am a southpaw. I haven't had this problem with any other type of rifle. The problem is quite noticeable. It doesn't matter what configuration the gun is in. I was pondering a number of ailments, such as the wide trigger, over sized pistol grip, irregular trigger pull poundage, rough sear, cheek weld, basic stock configuration for my body style (or shooting style), etc. Any experienced thoughts or similar tendancies would be appreciated to pinpoint the ailment.Thanx

digger44
11-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Sounds like this gun has a slow lock time. Reducing trigger pull poundage or a complete trigger job may help some. The Encores do have a non conventional stock that places your trigger hand in different position. A different stock may help too.

bigted
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
i agree that the liter trigger pull and no lash would help...however...

when as a youngster i had my first thutty-thutty and from the bench it was marvolous...however when i went hunting blacktail with my favorite uncle...[whom i dearly wished to impress]...when the time came for the shot at a small blacktailed buck i yanked the shot into the stomack and had a terrible looking gut shot to say nothing about the pain and agony i seen in the deer as i levered another shot from much closer range into his head to end the perdicament i placed myself into. when it was all over my dear uncle says to me...those always pulled left for me too so when i shoot at livin stuff i always hold right some to compensate the shot.

as i got older however my memorie of this embarasment made me try to see what the heck was going on so i shot about a milloin...[or so]... shots from that winchester from a free standing position till i had the thing shooting where i pointed it to.

moral is that however hard the trigger or what the stock configuration is...there is no gun that cant be fired accurately...[considering that it has this capability]...from any stance...it just takes trigger time in all manner of anticipated conditions to aquire the "feel" for your particular rifle or gun of any kind.

having said this i also would try to get everything as smooth and crisp as i could in the action/trigger dept. and try stocks till i found 1 that fit my frame...so then the comfort that every fun gun has is there for eternity...or as long as you both drag breath and own that gun!!!

watever your decision is just remember that...practice makes perfect...so ...shoot shoot shoot!!!

Norbrat
11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Are you sure you are not flinching?

Have someone load the gun for you without you looking. Get them to mix up empty and live rounds. See if the gun remains steady as the hammer falls on an empty.

Note this doesn't work if you load as you KNOW it will not go off with an empty and therefore you won't flinch.

pietro
11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I have a TC Encore in 300 win mag and 209x50 cal. When I shoot it from the bench it seems to do alright, but when shooting offhand or from the top stick of a brush blind or in hunting rest situations I frequently pull my shot to the left about 4 to 6 inches. I am a southpaw. I haven't had this problem with any other type of rifle. The problem is quite noticeable. It doesn't matter what configuration the gun is in. I was pondering a number of ailments, such as the wide trigger, over sized pistol grip, irregular trigger pull poundage, rough sear, cheek weld, basic stock configuration for my body style (or shooting style), etc. Any experienced thoughts or similar tendancies would be appreciated to pinpoint the ailment.Thanx

I think you have to consider pilot error............. My 46 y.o. son has the exact same outfit, and also shoots from his left shoulder due to a left master eye (he's otherwise right-handed), but had zero issues, finding it very accurate in either CF or BP config.

He does, however, have Nikon BDC scopes mounted on each bbl set - which may differ from your setup, and also make a difference.

TCFAN
11-20-2012, 10:11 PM
I have 2 encore rifles and the number one thing that improved the way I could shoot them was a trigger job.Both had around 7 or 8 pound trigger and now have 2 1/2 pound triggers. .....Terry

williamwaco
11-20-2012, 10:34 PM
i agree that the liter trigger pull and no lash would help...however...

when as a youngster i had my first thutty-thutty and from the bench it was marvolous...however when i went hunting blacktail with my favorite uncle...[whom i dearly wished to impress]...when the time came for the shot at a small blacktailed buck i yanked the shot into the stomack and had a terrible looking gut shot to say nothing about the pain and agony i seen in the deer as i levered another shot from much closer range into his head to end the perdicament i placed myself into. when it was all over my dear uncle says to me...those always pulled left for me too so when i shoot at livin stuff i always hold right some to compensate the shot.

as i got older however my memorie of this embarasment made me try to see what the heck was going on so i shot about a milloin...[or so]... shots from that winchester from a free standing position till i had the thing shooting where i pointed it to.

moral is that however hard the trigger or what the stock configuration is...there is no gun that cant be fired accurately...[considering that it has this capability]...from any stance...it just takes trigger time in all manner of anticipated conditions to aquire the "feel" for your particular rifle or gun of any kind.

having said this i also would try to get everything as smooth and crisp as i could in the action/trigger dept. and try stocks till i found 1 that fit my frame...so then the comfort that every fun gun has is there for eternity...or as long as you both drag breath and own that gun!!!

watever your decision is just remember that...practice makes perfect...so ...shoot shoot shoot!!!

I think he just said what my grannie always told me.

"Practice makes perfect."

pkie44
11-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Sounds like you might be rolling the rifle little to the right

cajun shooter
11-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Well gentlemen please allow me to interject some here if I may. "PRACTICE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT!!"
If you practice and continue to make the same mistakes, then you may shoot until you are knee deep in brass and not improve. You need to first have a person who knows the fundamentals of shooting watch you shoot . It would be better if you could shoot from both your good and bad positions so that a standard may be set.
If you are having problems at certain ranges then shoot at them and no others.
Work slow and don't make more than one change at a time. There are many reasons that may cause a person to pull a shot and you may be doing one or many.
Another thing to do is have your assistant fire your rifle just to make sure that it is free of any problems itself.
Use the very same ammo through all testing with no changes.
If done in the proper manner you will find your problem and be on your way to more enjoyable shooting.
When we develop a problem in a certain area we tend to expect it to happen again and you may also be helping it along. Take Care and the Best of Luck David

Goatwhiskers
11-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Cajun, I don't remember the source, but "insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result each time." GW

badgeredd
11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
My guess (and it is just that) is you have a combination problem. One being trigger pull and the second a bit of a flinch. A hard trigger will emphasize a problem because it isn't a crisp clean let-off. It also has a tendacy to pull your shot toward your hand...in your case left. Add a mild flinch and you have the makings of your problem. I'd suggest you shoot from a sitting, on-the-knee rest, a braced standing position or variations of the same to see if you continue to have a problem. Also you may be jerking the trigger a bit in anticipation when hunting, but not from the bench. Edd