PDA

View Full Version : LLA/JPW/MS coating - Is this too thick?

kylix.rd
11-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Yeah, I know... yet another LLA related post... I just cast up a whole batch of boolits and just finished lubing them up. Then I got to reading here and folks are saying that you "should not see any brown" from the lube. I'm not sure that's possible in practice.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of an unlubed/unsized boolit next to a fully lubed and size one.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q730/kylix_rd/2012-11-19232214.jpg

You can clearly see there is something on there.

My process is to take a couple handfuls of boolits and place them on a sheet pan. While holding one end of the pan,I take a heat gun and heat the boolits to where they're just uncomfortable to touch. Then drop them into my lube container (a cheap disposable plastic container). Meanwhile, I had prepared the lube by dropping the LLA bottle (it's actually the 45/45/10) into a small cup of hot water that was heated in the microwave for about 1m. By the time the first batch of boolits are hot from the heat gun treatment, the lube is now thin and watery. I wipe the water off the bottle so I dont get any in with the lube. I dribble it over the hot boolits. I may literally dribble 15-20 drops of lube for about 30-40 boolits. Now tumble them until shiney and evenly coated. Spread out on wax paper to dry. Repeat for all the rest of the boolits. Between each batch, I keep the lube container floating in the cup of hot water. I size then repeat the process.

Next time for the post-sizing pass, I may just try to reheat the boolits and dribble in some mineral spirits instead of more lube like one poster mentioned. Even though the above boolits aren't sticky or tacky, but they do have a "rubbery" feel compared to the unlubed one. Compared to the descriptions I've read, I still think I could go even thinner.

btroj
11-20-2012, 07:57 AM
If that is one coat, it is too much. If two coats, it isn't bad. I go thinner than that for two coats for 38 special with no leading. I have some bullets that almost appear to be naked.

Try going even lighter than that and see how they work in your gun. That's the ultimate test.

Biggest problem I have found with too much is that it does start building up in your seating die. Easy to clean out but still a nuisance.

mdi
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
As I see it, there may be a little too much lube on yer bullet. The problems (if any) would prolly be lube in your seating die and smokey shooting. Go ahead and shoot this batch and use a bit less, or thinner, next time...

kylix.rd
11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
If that is one coat, it is too much. If two coats, it isn't bad. I go thinner than that for two coats for 38 special with no leading. I have some bullets that almost appear to be naked.

Try going even lighter than that and see how they work in your gun. That's the ultimate test.

That's two coats. The boolit on the right is lubed-sized-lubed.

Biggest problem I have found with too much is that it does start building up in your seating die. Easy to clean out but still a nuisance.

I do find that there is a build-up of schmootz in the seating die after seating about 3-400 of these.

All-in-all, you've all confirmed that I can certainly go thinner. I'll add more mineral spirits to the mix or just try some spirits to redistribute the existing lube from the first pass.

Thanks.

williamwaco
11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
More than necessary? Yes.

Too Much? I don't think so.

You will find them MUCH easier if you drop around 200 of them into a one quart zip lock bag. Apply about one teaspoon of LLA ( undiluted, straight out of the bottle ) and knead the bag like bread dough. It will take a couple of minutes to get them all evenly coated. Then dump them out on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper. The lube never touches your hands.

( You may need to warm it a bit before you can squeeze it out of the spout. )

madsenshooter
11-20-2012, 07:14 PM
A very thin coat is all you need. I use my thinned LLA as a rust inhibitor in the bores of my rifles. With the bore already coated, doesn't take much at all on the boolits. I put the lube on some 6mm bullets that I shot at 2300fps, on the bands with Q-Tip. that's how little you need if you pre-treat the barrel.

runfiverun
11-21-2012, 12:57 AM
it's a titch too much.
but it's less than i apply [i add b-wax to mine so it's pretty thick]

Bullet Caster
11-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah, R5R, it's not as much as I apply either. Since I usually don't shoot in an indoor range I don't mind a little smoke. I think I shall cut it with a little more MS. Everyone says that a little Recluse lube goes a looooong way. BC

Inkman
11-22-2012, 12:45 AM
I'd say mine fall in between yours after being lubed/sized/lubed.

Al