PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag question

elhefe50ss
11-20-2012, 02:30 AM
Hey everyone im still new and have question ..I am loading hsc swc 240gr for my ruger alaskan my question is the boolits are .429 and the cases are like .426-.427 is that ok that even aftet sizong theres that much interference fit ?

southpaw
11-20-2012, 05:17 AM
That shouldn't be a problem. Seat one (without powder or primer) and then pull it and mic it again. If the case is sizing the boolit you can try a harder alloy, less crimp or a larger boolit. I have not had a problem with the case sizing my boolits cast of ww.

Jerry Jr.

williamwaco
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Hey everyone im still new and have question ..I am loading hsc swc 240gr for my ruger alaskan my question is the boolits are .429 and the cases are like .426-.427 is that ok that even aftet sizong theres that much interference fit ?

No. That is not a problem. It is normal and expected.

44man
11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
That is for case tension on the boolit. Very important for good powder ignition and accuracy.
My brass is also .426" but it is not a true measurement with calibers. A ball gauge and mic shows .4274". I use .430" to .432" boolits made from WW metal and water dropped. Even went to .434" for a Marlin. If the boolit is tough it will expand the brass when you seat. Mine kind of look like a snake that swallowed a deer! :veryconfu
Your best bet is to slug the bore and throats with pure lead and get your measurements with a good micrometer for groove to groove and throats. Throats should be a little over groove size. Fit your boolit diameter to the throat size.

375RUGER
11-20-2012, 02:10 PM
That is normal what you're asking about.
Can you get those HSC larger than .429" ?
do the slugging as metioned, you may find that you need a bigger boolit to prevent leading unless they have really good lube on them.
all mine leaded with boolits of .430 and smaller. I use .432 and .434 now depending on the boolit and the hardness.

44man
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I see you are new here and I welcome you.
You can research here from cast knowledge never before found. Dive in and ask too. There are no stupid questions.
You are on a road to find cast can shoot better then those expensive "J" word things, to load cheap and to enjoy your guns.
First for the Ruger's. Almost none like that small of a boolit. It is book stuff. You need to measure. There is a wealth of info here for slugging. All of us will help.

Gibson
11-20-2012, 03:55 PM
My SBH leads with .430" cast bullets. Not enough to matter to me. If I had a slightly bigger mold I'd use it. .44man is correct. In my case, .431-32 would likely be perfect. But I can put 6 rounds on a pp at 50 yrds. after firing 100 or so rounds, and that suits me. So I just clean it after 100 rounds and rock steady. (It's just a 4 5/8") 44man is what I'd call a precision shooter, with him, ACCURACY is king. And in reality, that's a pretty good "No. 1" priority.

Aside: 44man, been deer hunting reg'lar with the above mentioned .44 mag, haven't got a smell. Haven't seen one. Your paper on deer hunting is well crafted and chock full of wisdom. Sadly I have no "MOVE" option. Automobile is down. Probably be after Christmas before I get it fixed. (Our other vehicle is at work with my wife morning and afternoon, plus taking Andy to St. Judes.) Magnum Research mailed my 500 mag back yesterday, should be here Thursday. My mechanical incompetence cost me 150 bucks, lol. Everyone should have a copy of your short treatise on deer hunting.

44man
11-20-2012, 04:26 PM
My SBH leads with .430" cast bullets. Not enough to matter to me. If I had a slightly bigger mold I'd use it. .44man is correct. In my case, .431-32 would likely be perfect. But I can put 6 rounds on a pp at 50 yrds. after firing 100 or so rounds, and that suits me. So I just clean it after 100 rounds and rock steady. (It's just a 4 5/8") 44man is what I'd call a precision shooter, with him, ACCURACY is king. And in reality, that's a pretty good "No. 1" priority.

Aside: 44man, been deer hunting reg'lar with the above mentioned .44 mag, haven't got a smell. Haven't seen one. Your paper on deer hunting is well crafted and chock full of wisdom. Sadly I have no "MOVE" option. Automobile is down. Probably be after Christmas before I get it fixed. (Our other vehicle is at work with my wife morning and afternoon, plus taking Andy to St. Judes.) Magnum Research mailed my 500 mag back yesterday, should be here Thursday. My mechanical incompetence cost me 150 bucks, lol. Everyone should have a copy of your short treatise on deer hunting.
I will always be with you, you know that. And your son also.
I have not had a shot yet either.
So many deer but if hey don't move all we can do is sit and wait.