PDA

View Full Version : HP dies

armoredman
06-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone make a 358 158gr HP die, for 38s? How hard are Hps to cast? I know, I should get casting the regular stuff first, (not quite ready yet), but I am curious.

GLL
06-17-2007, 12:27 AM
I suggest you find the mould you prefer and have Buckshot convert it to HP !

His work is outstanding and reasonable. He is pretty busy right now but drop him a note.

It sure beats the very high prices currently found on the auctions.

HP's are not difficult to cast but the process is rather slow. I really enjoy making these myself and find the results very rewarding.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/BD88AD7A19EE4B9/standard.jpg

HCL
06-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Have been casting for several years now, but I cast my first HPs today, was kinda fun actually. It took me about a handfull of boolits to get used to it, but after that I found a rythm and things went pretty smooth. Felt kinda funny having the extra steps of setting the HP pin and removing it.
Oh and make sure the pin is set and turned (locked) down or you will get a surprise! You don't want to know how I know. Lets just say that I am very thankfull for welding gloves!
Enjoyed it so much, I ordered another HP mould, but GC version.
Mike

armoredman
06-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Nifty! How much do they run?

HCL
06-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Dont know what it cost to have one made, but a new Lyman HP mould at Midway is 52.99. Kinda spendy, but what the heck?
I'm pretty sure you can have differant pins made to change the HP cavitiy too if you found a mould you liked and just wanted to experiment.
Mike

xpshooter
06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know if he can convert the lee 6 bullet moulds to hp?