PDA

View Full Version : Mold for a martini

Frank46
11-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Anyone know where I can find a 125 grain gas checked mold in 8mm for a cadet martini?. Saw in another forum that was being used. I have the little rifle that was rechambered to 32-20. Appreciate the help. Thanks, Frank

Buckshot
11-20-2012, 02:52 AM
.............Frank, an 8mm mould would be a nominal .323" and the 32-20 wants a .314" doesn't it? But to answer your question, to my thinking a 125gr slug for the 8mm would be a purely custom job I'm pretty sure. Maybe Accurate could gin one up for ya?

.............Buckshot

dromia
11-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Have you slugged your barrel?

What exactly do you have? Is it a 310 cadet barrel with the chamber reamed for a 32/20 cartridge or is it re-barrelled in 32/20?

Four Fingers of Death
11-20-2012, 04:15 AM
There was a group buy on here a few years ago, run by Willbird for a 6 cav Kee for a 120Gn boolit for the 32/20. Great mould and no, I don't want to sell mine, but someone might not want theirs, why not ask?

I have several friends who use mine, they love it also!

Western Firearms in Beverley Hills (Sydney Australia) import a custom Lee 2 cav for the Cadet and ship worldwide, but it may not suit your rifle now that it has been modified.

Reg
11-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Best to slug your barrel first. A lot of the small Martinies run from .314 to .316. A bit small for a nominal .323 8 m/m.

:-?

Four Fingers of Death
11-20-2012, 04:23 AM
And probably too loose for a 32/20 boolit

dromia
11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Regarding the Lee GB that was fine boolit, however I got Accurate to cut me one to the same design but with a slightly larger diameter heel for my alloy. I like to just hand seat my Cadet boolits and the Lee mould was too loose in the case without the case being sized.

The design is now in Accurate's catalogue and you just need to give Tom your dimensions for him to cut the mould.

Frank46
11-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Haven't slugged the barrel yet so when I get some numbers will post again. The old barrel had a non existent bore from shooting I guess corrosive ammo, but bought another with a fairly good bore. Only a couple spots that won't cleanup. Thanks guys. Frank

Buckshot
11-21-2012, 01:49 AM
............Check into a barrel liner. That's probably cheaper?

............Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
11-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Haven't slugged the barrel yet so when I get some numbers will post again. The old barrel had a non existent bore from shooting I guess corrosive ammo, but bought another with a fairly good bore. Only a couple spots that won't cleanup. Thanks guys. Frank

+1 on what Buckshot said and you end up with virtually a new rifle and the exterior is still original.

HARRYMPOPE
11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
RBCS makes an 8mm Nambu special order mold that might work.I have one and can send samples if you want.They also make the Cadet bullet that is the right bore dimension.I have used it as cast alox lubed in 8mm Mausers with good luck.( both are PB and lighter than you want)

You could also have Erik Ohlen open up a 311316 or the Lee light GC .30 to about .316-.318 on his CNC mill and you would be set.(if it will chamber that large in the neck area).Leaving the last band to .310 or so would let you set it in the case if you had problems.

Four Fingers of Death
11-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Unless you just love solving awkward problems, I'd be selling it and buying something else. Cadets bring silly prices here and moreso in the States where they are rarer.

My first centrefire rifle was a Cadet and personally,I could easily live without one. Butttttttttttttttttttt, other folk just like em.'

The difference between one with a good bore and one with an iffy bore is less than $100 usually.

Frank46
11-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Dromia, it is a cadet martini that I bought a long time ago. Have a better barrel now. It does have a 32-20 chamber as an unloaded 32-20 case will fit with no problems. The action is in the white as it did have some surface rust ( an unloved word when referring to firearms) and the barrel has one or two rough spots. I had given thought of sending it to John Taylor and get it relined to 38 special as this would solve all the problems.
I have a bunch of 38 special brass and dies so that may be the course I'll take. Frank

Four Fingers of Death
11-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Be a lot more useful in 38Special, but if it was in full original military trim, I would be relining it to a 310Cadet.

With cast boolits in a 38 using +P+ cases, it would make an effective hunting arm.