PDA

View Full Version : sw m&p problem

beex215
11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
i was looking over my m&p and found that the slide can easily be moved left to right on the front end. you just grab it and move it left to right slightly and it does make a rattle. i would like to know from other m&p owners if this is natural or not.

heres a video for some visuals of what im talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DuOjKReAIk

williamwaco
11-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow.

I would say loose is an understatement.
Never owned one so I can't comment on whether it is normal.

beex215
11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
that just makes me worry more now. its only half a year old and bought new. it has about 800 rounds out of it, so its def not abused.

trying2learn
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Um I would call them. I have a m&p 45. I love it. I have ran well over two thousand rounds through it in the last two years during all my quals and the academy. Its still as firm and tight as the day I brought it home. The only problem I had was the mags would catch on the spring. Called them up explained what I do and how it was happening. They ovwr nighted replacements and return stickers. Saying it was a design flaw and apilogizing. The new ones are fixed and they were great at dealing with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rsrocket1
11-20-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't know if it's normal but my M&P40 FS does pretty much the same. If you take the slide off, you'll see that it slides on just 4 points along the frame. Those 4 slide points are in the middle and rear of the frame leaving the front "unsupported". I've put about 4k through mine (nothing but reloads and 3,500 of them lead bullets). I get 2-3" groups at 15 yards offhand and 1" groups off a table so I am happy. I needed that many to get halfway decent with this gun. I was used to my 1911 and Ruger Service Six "tank" and needed a lot of practice to get used to shooting a lightweight plastic doublestack gun. I'm definitely glad I cast and reload otherwise I may have given up. In fact, I just did a quick 800 round casting session after work tonight to replenish my stash.

You can see that the front sight moves in conjunction with the barrel so I don't think you lose any accuracy from this motion.

kir_kenix
11-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Alot of polymer guns allow the slide to move back and forth like that. If you are really concerned, go to a sporting goods store and ask to handle an m&p in .40 and see if it is the same way. I have a taurus 24/7 in 9mm that has probably twice as much play as your m&p, and it still shoots respectable groups and functions well.

captaint
11-20-2012, 11:55 AM
I think the big question is - how does it shoot, and does it shoot as well as it always did ??. The steel "studs" that ride in the frame are glass hard and shouldn't really noticeably wear. If you think they have worn some, talk to S&W about it and see what they say. enjoy Mike

RetAFSF
11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Shouldn't move more than close to a thousandth of an inch,

KCSO
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Hold on ther folks, this is a plastic framed gun of course it has play, plastic flexes. The whole slide is riding on two little 1/2" rails set into the plastic. That amount to play is not unusual the area where you worry is if the barrel and the slide are looose. As long as the barrel and slide are aligned when the shot goes off the bullet goes where the sights look. Smith would look at that and send it back in spec right now. If you want a tight slide to frame fit don't buy a plastic gun. I pulled a couple ooff the shelf and that's about what they do right from the box. I put them back and went and hugged my 1911.

ronbo40s&w
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
totally normal. shoot more and enjoy.

God bless!

Ron

alrighty
11-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Mine shows the same amount of play.The barrel is tight to the slide and that is where the accuracy comes in.I would guess I have put just over 2000 rounds through my .40.I do like these guns even though I am a die hard 1911 guy.After spending the bucks on an Apex trigger kit and A Dawson Precision adjustable sight set. I have found that I can carry this pistol with confidence.The only malfunctions I have had have been of my own error.

35remington
11-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I have the exact same model and caliber complete with the same tactical rail. It does the same thing with the same amount of movement.

Welcome to plastic. Get over it, shoot it and have fun. Nature of the beast.

Remind yourself that the sights are on the slide, not the frame, and the lockup of the barrel to the slide in terms of location is more consistent.

fcvan
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM
A loose slide isn't just for plastic guns. I had a buddy who's 1911 had been shot so much it rattled when shook. As one of the above posts mentioned, so long as the barrel and slide lock up the sights are aligned as well. My buddy's rattle gun shot soda cans at 100 yards even as sloppy as it was. I have several Glocks and a Taurus that have play between the frame and the slide but the barrels lock up firmly and the guns shoot quite well. Frank

Corvus
11-23-2012, 10:49 PM
After spending the bucks on an Apex trigger kit and A Dawson Precision adjustable sight set. I have found that I can carry this pistol with confidence.

You forgot to mention the "James Yeager Fan Boy Big Dot front sight" you had on that thing in Memphis.[smilie=s:

alrighty
11-24-2012, 10:35 AM
You forgot to mention the "James Yeager Fan Boy Big Dot front sight" you had on that thing in Memphis.[smilie=s:
Thanks for bringing that memory back up :groner: I learned a few things at that class.
1.The M&P.40 is a good dependable pistol.:coffee:
2. The XS big dot sights start to suck at anything past seven yards.:takinWiz:
3.If I had the money back that I spent on the M&P , mags,sights, and holsters.I could have bought another 1911.[smilie=w:
All joking aside the M&P is a very dependable and accurate pistol.I do like the fact that you can carry it and 46 rounds concealed very easily.
BTW Corvus you planning on taking any more classes with Yeager? How many classes has it been so far , three or four?When you going to man up and carry one of them 1911's to his class instead of the plastic fantastic.:kidding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE

blueeyephil
11-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I have a Pro and Compact in 40. I can flex the frame on both to the point it touches the slide. My Shield flexes too but has closer tolerances. My Sig 226 has almost no slop.

Plastic body with a short metal frame vs full length metal frame rails.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Corvus
11-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for bringing that memory back up :groner: I learned a few things at that class.
1.The M&P.40 is a good dependable pistol.:coffee:
2. The XS big dot sights start to suck at anything past seven yards.:takinWiz:
3.If I had the money back that I spent on the M&P , mags,sights, and holsters.I could have bought another 1911.[smilie=w:
All joking aside the M&P is a very dependable and accurate pistol.I do like the fact that you can carry it and 46 rounds concealed very easily.
BTW Corvus you planning on taking any more classes with Yeager? How many classes has it been so far , three or four?When you going to man up and carry one of them 1911's to his class instead of the plastic fantastic.:kidding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfJj90eNIfE

Easy there...:cool:...it has only been one class which was Fighting Pistol at Camden. The best part of that class was the mindset lecture which was almost word for word what I had already read in John Farnham's book so I don't see myself returning to Camden. The other classes he just happened to show up where I did where I got to see his gun fail and him make the same excuses he picks on others for making.

I think he is suppose to be at the Tactical Conference in March teaching a segment. Maybe he will let you buy him dinner and a new t-shirt to show off on youtube ? :kidding:

I started putting my Glock stuff on gunbroker a few weeks ago. The Glock sale funds is what I bought the STI with and still looking for a 5 inch .40 M&P.

I will end up with a few more M&Ps before I am done with my Gunbroker liquidation sales.

beex215
11-26-2012, 08:23 AM
thanks for all the help. its actually a normal thing for all to know.

rsrocket1
11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Great, now go out and shoot the heck out of it. The confidence you now have knowing that it is in good working order should improve your shooting immediately :)