PDA

View Full Version : Gun for my girl

bearcove
11-19-2012, 07:02 PM
My daughter just walked by and the little light bulb went on. I realized I need to get her a pistol that she can carry.

It will be a while before she will carry it but I was 12 when I got my 357 BH and it was like a part of me. I like S&W DA and 1911 style autos. BUT I am not familiar with all the new guns. My wife has a S&W640 but the bobbed hammer, DA only takes away from the fun a bit. I want to get her something that she can get VERY familiar with and have to use when I'm not there. She is not a big girl so 38 spl, 9mm is what I'm thinking. A girl doesn't need it to be as concealable cause she is expected to carry a purse. What ya'll think?

I see it coming..

garym1a2
11-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Glock 19.

My daughter just walked by and the little light bulb went on. I realized I need to get her a pistol that she can carry.

It will be a while before she will carry it but I was 12 when I got my 357 BH and it was like a part of me. I like S&W DA and 1911 style autos. BUT I am not familiar with all the new guns. My wife has a S&W640 but the bobbed hammer, DA only takes away from the fun a bit. I want to get her something that she can get VERY familiar with and have to use when I'm not there. She is not a big girl so 38 spl, 9mm is what I'm thinking. A girl doesn't need it to be as concealable cause she is expected to carry a purse. What ya'll think?

I see it coming..

Houndog
11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Both my Wife and Daughter carry S&W model 60 Lady Smiths, but they're both just as comfortable with my 1911,635 or 915. The best advice I can offer is buy what SHE wants and if she has no clue, start her on a S&W model 10 using LIGHT target loads untill she decides on something different. Revolvers are MUCH easier teaching tools than ANY semi auto, and the model 10 is easier to shoot than a j frame.

375RUGER
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
What does she like to shoot?
My wife carrys a full size 1911.
She also has a 357 Vaquero that she loves to shoot.
She hates 38 snub nose revolvers.

Expose her to as much variety as you can before you buy, she will let you know what she likes.

I have a compact 1911 that I carry.

If we had something to shoot that you don't have you'd be more than welcome to come on by. We are west of RR off of Northern Blvd.

HATCH
11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
lc9?
Its compact but is a step up above 380

A glock 19 or 23 would work too. I have owned them both and with the exception of the caliber difference they are identical.
I sold the 19 and just own the 23 now.

bearcove
11-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Want a good shooter that is small but it doesn't need to be something I could hide under a T shirt. She already carries a purse so concealability is a minor issue. If I could carry a purse I'd just carry a 1911. That would require amputation to go there, I'm getting old but not that old. A compact 1911 single stack might be ideal. I would load so I could change the recoil spring for light loads then put it back as she works up to full power loads. Maybe I should focus there.

bearcove
11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
What does she like to shoot?
My wife carrys a full size 1911.
She also has a 357 Vaquero that she loves to shoot.
She hates 38 snub nose revolvers.

Expose her to as much variety as you can before you buy, she will let you know what she likes.

I have a compact 1911 that I carry.

If we had something to shoot that you don't have you'd be more than welcome to come on by. We are west of RR off of Northern Blvd.

Howdy neighbor. She shoots 22 most, want to start working with other stuff. Her younger brother likes stuff that has "some kick" she hasn't got there yet.

snowwolfe
11-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Want a good shooter that is small but it doesn't need to be something I could hide under a T shirt. She already carries a purse so concealability is a minor issue.

For the money a Ruger LC9 would be hard to beat. Own a couple of these and if she is not looking for the smallest thing out there the size of the LC9 is about perfect.

smoked turkey
11-20-2012, 12:19 AM
One of the Ruger revolvers in 327 Federal comes to mind as a nice medium size handgun that can do some serious work and still be fairly accurate for other things such as plinking, hunting and the like.

375RUGER
11-20-2012, 12:26 AM
If I could carry a purse I'd just carry a 1911. .
My Dunlop hides mine.

most 1911s setup from the factory will digest 200 -230g just fine without spring changes. I only found a need to change springs when I started tightening things up. So if you use a 1911 and it functions 200g fine with a 16.5# (19# for a compact) spring then use that as an advantage it will reduce felt recoil. Even better if it will take the little pills under 200.

Something else that is mild is a 9mm single stack with handloaded 115 LRN. Can't relay a womans opinion on this since she never shot it. Son loves it though.

GotCoffee
11-20-2012, 12:53 AM
I have to get my girl a gun also. Mine was scared of guns when i met her a couple of years ago. I have since got her into shooting. Started her out on 22 rifles. Slowly moved her up to the bigger guns. She is having a ball shooting now, she loves it. I bought her the heritage 22 revolver for her first gun. Looking at a 22 rifle for her next. My only problem is she loves all of my favorite guns. So keep on with the posts here, I need ideas for a decent carry gun for her down the road a bit.

bearcove
11-20-2012, 12:54 AM
I gave my S&W 39 to my dad it would be just right if it was a 1911 action

Texantothecore
11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Bearcove,
I would suggest a .38 special revolver. It is easily maintained and the don't usually jam. One jam, BTW, could end your daughter's shooting if it scares her so get a gun that is designed not to. You can also use wax bullets with it too and she might find those a lot of fun.

MtGun44
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
If you choose, it will be wrong. If she chooses it will be right. You need to be like a shoe
salesman - keep bringing ones for her to try until she decides. I've seen it too many times
and taught too many women to shoot. Hubby picks the "perfect gun" - wife hates it.

Substitute "Daddy" for "Hubby" MIGHT make a difference, but probably not.

Bill

bearcove
11-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Good point.

fcvan
11-22-2012, 01:23 AM
The first gun I bought for my wife was a Ruger MKII standard, 50th anniversary model. I already had a MKII Government so she was familiar with it but didn't like the heavy muzzle weight. I took her to the shop and let her look and feel for herself. Sound of cash register ringing sale.

That was 1999. Since then she has shopped for and purchased 5 or 6 handguns for herself and several for me. The only gun I've bought for her since was a Glock 23 as she really liked the Glock 22C she had bought for me. I also bought her a Lone Wolf conversion barrel so she could shoot 9mm through her 23. The only gun of mine she won't give back is a J-frame .38 because she likes how it shoots. I miss that gun :( Her latest acquisition? A Ruger 3 3/4" SBH in 44 magnum. I never thought she would get into big bore, let alone a short barreled 44. Her favorite carry gun? A Walther PK380 and she is surgical with that pistol.

I'm a big supporter of 'let her find her own'. She has only purchased one gun she didn't like and got rid of. She traded it for a Vaquero in 45 Colt which she gave to me. Gotta love a woman who loves iron. Frank

Von Dingo
11-22-2012, 04:18 AM
If you choose, it will be wrong. If she chooses it will be right. You need to be like a shoe
salesman - keep bringing ones for her to try until she decides. I've seen it too many times
and taught too many women to shoot. Hubby picks the "perfect gun" - wife hates it.

Substitute "Daddy" for "Hubby" MIGHT make a difference, but probably not.

Bill

Very well put.

troy_mclure
11-22-2012, 04:24 AM
My gf is very recoil sensitive, mainly only likes .22rf.
But the other day she shot a guys 9x18 makarov. She liked it well enough. Low recoil, plenty of power, and fairly compact(if a bit heavy). I'm looking at picking one up and duracoating it blue and green for her.

bobthenailer
11-23-2012, 11:53 AM
If she likes autos ? a Khar CM9 would be my choice @ $425.00 in my neck of the woods!

atr
11-23-2012, 11:55 AM
there was a fellow selling a H&R 38 S&W here on this site.....you should check it out...

rintinglen
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
I vote for a S&W revolver or a Kahr CW9. The ideal starter gun is (was) the 5 inch Model 60 that They came out with a few years back. Short trigger reach, long sight radius, adjustable sights and S&W quality. The shiny stainless part doesn't hurt either. My own daughters differ in their preferences, though both curiously prefer rifles. My eldest loves her 1970's 30-30 Winchester, though she shoots her S&W 36 3" HB just as well, while the youngest bought herself a DPMS M-4 Copy to supplement her S&W 422.
I do not like the SP-101 single action. It is too hard to cock for persons with little hand strength.

EMC45
11-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Smith revolver in .32S&W-L or .38 Special. Or a KelTec P3AT. The .380 KT is a bit snappy, but they carry flat and are always onboard when needed.

Gliden07
11-25-2012, 12:47 AM
M&P Shield, LC9 a Kahr there all nice. Could also get a S&W Wheel gun in 357 mag shoot 38 Special and up grade to the Mag loads when she gets older!

bearcove
11-26-2012, 06:49 PM
M&P Shield, LC9 a Kahr there all nice. Could also get a S&W Wheel gun in 357 mag shoot 38 Special and up grade to the Mag loads when she gets older!

You might be right on with that last part

Grandpas50AE
11-26-2012, 08:17 PM
You might be right on with that last part

bearcove, a 1911 Pro-size in .38 Super would be a great choice. Low recoil, plenty of power, good ergonomics, and a pleasure to shoot. Many folks who can easily shoot heavier recoil pistols still carry .38 Super 1911's. It is a really nice package. Let her try one if you can find a friend or someone who has one, and I bet she really likes it. My 21 year old niece thought that was my best pistol of all she shot, and it is a full size. I know a lot of folks that carry it in commander size and really love it.

meshugunner
11-27-2012, 01:40 AM
I have an LC9 which I like a lot, it has surprisingly little recoil for such a light gun - nothing like my S&W Airweight. But it's DAO and it has a strange trigger pull that most people find hard to get used to. Why not start out with a .22lr? It's a good way to start pistol shooting. The Ruger SR22 is a superb little gun and it comes with interchangeable grips - the smaller one is well suited to feminine hands. It's also quite inexpensive. You can shoot that for hours without getting tired.