PDA

View Full Version : AR parts shortage?

wallenba
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow guys, since I decided to build my own AR the hardest part...is getting the parts! I got a S&W M&P-15 stripped lower. Ordered a parts kit for it, and it was short the trigger spring. Midway is snail mailing a replacement, gratis of course. But just about everyone is out of assembled bolts and carriers. I had to order every component to assemble these parts, most from different places. I'm getting there, and willing to do it, but boy the shipping charges are adding up! At the moment, buffer tubes are made of unobtainium.:veryconfu

Baja_Traveler
11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Maybe blame Obama??

I've got a lower with a parts kit, but I havent gone any further with the project. I did decide just recently to make it into a 300 Blackout though...

xacex
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I hate to say it, but I saw this one coming. Th supply chain isn't keeping up with demand, and the odd thing is it has been going in waves over the last year and a half. BCG's are come and go, and when I see them I snatch up one here or there. I hate to direct you to Amazon for parts, but there are the two flavors of buffer tubes available there right now, and if you have prime you get some of them 2 day shipped free. Stay away from the UAG ****.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
I guess nobody ever told you about the Brownells catalog for the AR, huh?

I've ordered all the pieces and parts you listed last Monday, and all of them arrived in one box on last Thursday.

xacex
11-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I built my last 1911 out of a Brownell's catalog. Lots of good stuff there! They seem to be running low on certain parts as well. Last I looked online they were out of BCG's too. I Know a place out here that has some, but I need to place another order this week before I let it out. I like the Spikes M16 BCG's, but everyone's out now.

wallenba
11-20-2012, 12:37 AM
I guess nobody ever told you about the Brownells catalog for the AR, huh?

I've ordered all the pieces and parts you listed last Monday, and all of them arrived in one box on last Thursday.

Actually, I have an account there. Just happens that nearly all of the chosen parts for this build (mostly upper reciever parts ) are back ordered. I have gotten a lot there, but they are a bit pricier than other houses.

Even getting an ejection port cover, meant buying each part separatley. Same with the bolt, and not all of those parts from the same place either.

tomme boy
11-20-2012, 01:34 AM
I live within 45 miles of most of the manufacturers of AR's. I put together a few this summer for friends. I get a lot of parts from Rock River and Armalite. Early summer they told me that they were having issues getting some small parts themselves. Springs , pins. Bolts and carriers were not being sold as they needed them for their own use.

This is happening at other firearm companies as well. Springfield is tied up also.

Have you tried PK Firearms? I used to get a lot of stuff from them.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Okay, next stop: Cheaper than Dirt.

I bought my favorite new toy from them this summer; a screw on Golf Ball Launcher for my AR's. Unscrew the flash suppressor, screw this tube on, stick a golf ball down the tube, and load the magazine with blanks.

If your dog is a ball chaser, and a bit on the chubby side, this will get him in shape, or kill him... 200yds

Rich

Corvus
11-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Last election the panic buying hit around March. Quite a few business operations reported heavy orders the day after the election.

ErikO
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
So far my AR project is nearing completion. Just short a barrel and BCG, have a buddy that works at DD who is getting me a screaming deal on a 10.3" chrome-lined and chrome BCG. Scored a BSA red dot on Friday for $19 that's perched on the rail now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8487/8201421391_ae0a405085.jpg

So far so good, got the ATF tech letter copy in my pistol bag. ;)

gwozdz
12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Try this place. They have reasonable shipping on small parts.
http://www.thecitizensarmory.com/