PDA

View Full Version : Eyestrain from new screen format

uscra112
11-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Anyone else getting eyestrain from trying to read the new format? Text is now ridiculously small and thin, and I can't even change it in Firefox Options. How can I make it revert to the old screen format? CB now has the look and feel of inferior forae like Rimfire Central. More eyestrain headaches I do not need an my age.

plmitch
11-19-2012, 01:14 AM
No, none at all, the new changes are a improvement.

patsher
11-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm having trouble with this new screen, too. Too bright, type too light -- very hard on my eyes. Makes me not want to be here.

Just my two cents worth.

Pat

crabo
11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Hold control down and roll your mouse wheel to make it larger

geargnasher
11-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Scroll to the very bottom left of the screen, click on the drop-down menu, and select "cb custom". That helped me a bunch.

Gear

Mooseman
11-19-2012, 01:40 AM
I went to my Control panel and dimmed my screen a notch...it really helped.

TinCan Assassin
11-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Not liking the new format either, to be honest.

Mooseman
11-19-2012, 01:46 AM
It will take some getting used to , but its here to stay !
It is faster...
Rich

220swiftfn
11-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Scroll to the very bottom left of the screen, click on the drop-down menu, and select "cb custom". That helped me a bunch.

Gear

Thanks kindly, much better!!!

Dan

gmsharps
11-19-2012, 02:09 AM

That did it for me also.

gmsharps

evan price
11-19-2012, 07:38 AM

Gear

Thanks, Gear, that worked for me.

Bisbee
11-19-2012, 07:58 AM
I went to my tool bar and increased the font size to 120%. That helped me alot.

Sasquatch-1
11-19-2012, 08:04 AM
You can sure tell there are a bunch of old farts here, We just can't stand change at our age.:veryconfu

It is irritating but I will get use to it like when my email providers change the format and I have to look all over the place for things.

I still want to thank all those who are working on getting the bugs out and who innitially set things up. It is a job few of us would have taken on.

Bad Water Bill
11-19-2012, 08:04 AM
When I click on "REPLY TO THREAD" I have to hit GO ADVANCED before I get the page I am used to but I still have to remember to search for INSTANT E MAIL.

Will it stay that way or is this just one of those nasty bugs?

Ben
11-19-2012, 08:46 AM

Gear

I used your advice above, it really helped the looks of everything on my screen.

Thanks,
Ben

Jim
11-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Another thanks to Gear for pointing out that option! [smilie=s:

blaser.306
11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
I also like the "custom" look better as well, trouble being that every time I log in I have to go and re set it to that view. Is there a way to have is stay there?

Ed_Shot
11-19-2012, 09:54 AM
+1 for CB Custom. Thanks.

pressonregardless
11-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Gear

Thanks Gear, your suggestion fixed my problem.

Moondawg
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
New Format is not an improvement, it makes my old eyes hurt just looking at it. I much preferred the old format. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it.

rockrat
11-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Never had trouble with the speed of the old format. Kind of preferred the blue hue, it was easier on the eyes and was different from any other forum.

Geesh, I don't believe it, I must be getting older, I am complaining about this stuff!!!

FLYCUTTER
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info on changing the color of the screen. BIG IMPROVEMENT !!!!!

DRNurse1
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I appreciate this site and the effort the moderators and GunLoadMaster put into it. If the upgrade makes it easier for them to manage this site, I can 'afford' to learn how to use it.

Thanks, Gear, for the hint. Maybe a future upgrade can allow the custom look to follow subsequent log-in's.

Just my $0.02.

GT27
11-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Gear

Mucho' better,thank you compadre'!

LabGuy
11-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I really like the new thread “start date/time” feature.

How many casters does it take to change a light bulb?

One to change the bulb, and four to say how much they miss the old bulb.

skeet1
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I very much like the new format and think it is an improvement to the old one.

Ken

WILCO
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Learned something new today. Thanks!

delta1
11-19-2012, 11:07 AM
What I am finding is that I cannot stay logged in. The little check box is half covered by advertising and will not let me check it off.

C.F.Plinker
11-19-2012, 11:42 AM
CB Custom seems to change the text size on the subforums but not on the main page.

11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
I understand the need for the change -- security -- and I did switch to the CB Custom setting, yesterday afternoon, but the pages blast out at the eyes and it doesn't take too long till they start to ache.

I'm confident that the bugs will soon be gone and everyone will be happy.

Reg
11-19-2012, 12:04 PM
The ASSRA site went through this some time back, same complaints most likely from the same people and just as justified. They eventually went back to a format with coloring quite similar to what they had. Problem solved.
There is nothing wrong with change as long as it isn't just for the sake of change itself. To gain something is good.
I for one never had any complaints with the old format other than pictures had to be of a certain size before they could be posted and I was just getting the hang of reducing them when the for format was adopted. Not sure how it is now. Some sites will automatically reduce to the correct size no matter what size they are submitted and if this is the case now then I would call that progress.
You must consider your audience. The ASSRA site is mostly a bunch of older cadgers and I think there is a fair share of them here. Myself included.
Speaking as one of these older types, the black print on a gray background is a real eye killer. One needs a more gentile contrast. Used to do a lot of night flying, hour after hour and found that to relax my eyes that a couple of the instruments that had a bluish tint to them would just reach out and relax my eyes even better than the traditional red.
The print size does need to be enlarged a bit and yes, I can enlarge it with the control and roll trick ( learned something new here !! ) but I have to reset it for each time I come back. How many here look for a bit then go somewhere else then come back ? I do a lot. No real problem but it is aggravating.
Don't have much use for a "belly acher" but if the print size could be increase just the smallest amount and get away from the black on gray it sure would be greatly appreciated.
Just my .02 worth.

Ajax
11-19-2012, 12:15 PM
you can go to your settings page and set the default to cb custom.

Andy

doctorggg
11-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Gear

That was a big improvement. I was already at 125% enlargement. Thanks Gear.

trixter
11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I like it, I like it a lot!

ctious
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
New format is useless on my phone. The mobile version sucks. And to use the desktop site on my phone blows. I may stop using this site over this. I have stopped using a few sites due to this problem on New formats. Blows. But I come here to read and learn. Not to get frustrated.

uscra112
11-19-2012, 12:57 PM
It will take some getting used to , but its here to stay !
It is faster...
Rich

Like Obama ? :(

Seriously, just going to a better typeface will help a LOT. Ariel is good for machine-readable applications, but we ain't machines. Well, most of us anyway. :grin:

Times New Roman (Bold)

System (Bold)

Palatino Linotype (Bold)

Kent Fowler
11-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Anyone else getting eyestrain from trying to read the new format? Text is now ridiculously small and thin, and I can't even change it in Firefox Options. How can I make it revert to the old screen format? CB now has the look and feel of inferior forae like Rimfire Central. More eyestrain headaches I do not need an my age.

Try the view/zoom/reset option in the menu bar. Then check mark the " zoom text only". My latest Firefox version (16.0.2) does not give you the option of putting the zoom in/zoom out function in the toolbar, which is represented by a +/-, and is handy as you can either hit the + or the - and change font size with out having to go up the menu bar. Fortunately, my settings were kept when I upgraded to the new version. This option is not available in this version of Firefox. In previous versions, you go "view/tools/customize" then drag the +/- to the toolbar then you are set. I would uninstall the program then download an earlier version of Firefox to get this option and hopefully your resizing problems will go away. Also, me thinks the white color could be toned down a bit. Kinda slaps you in the face, especially when you have a 27 inch monitor.

mdi
11-19-2012, 01:09 PM

That did it for me also.

gmsharps

Yep, me too! Now it's big enough to read. I really don't like to complain after the fellers in charge here go to a lot of trouble to make our time spent on Castboolits easier/better...

Recluse
11-19-2012, 01:18 PM
New Format is not an improvement, it makes my old eyes hurt just looking at it. I much preferred the old format. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it.

As I understood from talking with a few of the staff here, the old software (hence the "format") was broken in the fact that as the geek world is constantly changing and updating and improving their geekdom toys, old formats and software becomes incompatible.

I still have a number of old Macintosh computers (Apple) from the 80's and 90's and even early 2000's in which they are simply not compatible with new software.

I'd noticed that we were starting to have a few more glitches and a noticeable reduction in upload speed with the old software (format) and it wasn't going to be long before the forum really became user-unfriendly.

Also if you'll note, every year we have a server fund-raising drive so that we can keep THAT piece of hardware as up-to-date, modern and efficient as possible.

I, too, was more comfortable with the "old look" of Cast Boolits, but I'll trade looks for content and ease of use any day of the week.

Willy did a superb job and he's not finished yet as there are still a few insects that need to be addressed and he's doing that.

:coffee:

Reg
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Whole lotta learnen goin on here !!
Went from CB custom to default style, shows more blues in the tint. MUCH easier on the eyes and stays when I leave then come back.
Think this is just one of those deals where you tighten the cinch, put on your spurs and put your chew in the middle of your mouth and hang on. It will work !!!

Pepe Ray
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
I've recently had cataract surgery and other aging vision problems.
My first look at the new product was disapointing until I found the OPTIONS!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for all of the various forms of aid, not the least of which is Electronic.
Pepe Ray

Wayne Smith
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Gear

Worked for me, too. Now maybe just a touch large if anything.

Hardcast416taylor
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Worked for me, too. Now maybe just a touch large if anything.

I tried to do this function. Either I`m too old to understand simple commands, or my computer doesn`t have this ability. In other words I`m not overly thrilled with this "change",Robert

Bad Water Bill
11-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Found a way to solve the bright screen. Polarized sun glasses help a lot for these OLD eyes.

3006guns
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Gear

Thanks from me too geargnasher. The font on my computer was already at 125 but your "contrast" tip made it much easier on the eyes.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Default mode looks good to me.

3006guns
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I tried to do this function. Either I`m too old to understand simple commands, or my computer doesn`t have this ability. In other words I`m not overly thrilled with this "change",Robert

Robert, I believe it's a function of the website itself, not your computer, so it SHOULD work. I goofed at first too because the drop down box is all the way at the bottom left, not that selection of other stuff in the bar farther up. Just go all the way down to the left and click on the "cb custom" and it should open the selections for you.

mpmarty
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
I strongly dislike this new format. I'll probably be less likely to come back in the future.

captaint
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
I changed my settings at the bottom of page - thanks Gear. I'm OK with the new format in general, now if I could make the WHITE go away. enjoy Mike

9.3X62AL
11-19-2012, 05:43 PM
The new format is all right with me, esp. after hitting the "CB Custom" button. I'm an old effer too, with cataract surgery pending on the left porthole and already accomplished on the right. I suppose some of feelings are a function of attitude--I accept the vagaries of aging as challenges rather than annoyances.

TheCelt
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Worked like a charm!!! Darkened the font too. Thanks for the tip!!

waksupi
11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I also like the "custom" look better as well, trouble being that every time I log in I have to go and re set it to that view. Is there a way to have is stay there?

I had the same question. You need to go to your CP, and set it in there.

geargnasher
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
You're welcome, all of you who liked the "cb custom" setting. When I first logged on with the new software it about blinded me. I thought, "This ain't gonna work AT ALL!" and went looking for the setting. The old software had a VBulletin default (mostly white) setting and the regular one most of us are used to, which I think the staff had set as the "normal", but one could switch if they wanted to. Now we have three options instead of two.

I must admit I'm not real thrilled with the new look either, but that's mainly because of being so familiar with the old. The previous format was one of the reasons I liked this site so much, everything was clear, easy to find, and intuitive. I've noticed big improvements since the new software has come on line, all the little tweaks the staff is working on to better organize the navigation features and bring back some familiar icons.

My #1 gripe is all the pansy, "metro-sexual" pastel colors on the icons, it all blends together into a low-contrast, non-partisan, equal-opportunity, politically-correct, gender-neutral blur and makes me really squint to sort out what thread I want to check out from the list of a sub-forum. Could we make ALL the little envelope thingies the bold, yellow/black (or lt. grey/black for no new posts) "rifleman" icon like on the main forum page?

Gear

Papa smurf
11-19-2012, 10:12 PM
+1 Moondawg , will be looking for a different web site ------------------------------- Papa

dragon813gt
11-19-2012, 10:20 PM
People still go online at a desktop computer? And there is a new format? Everything looks the same to me :)

Sorry I couldn't resist. As long as the forum is TapaTalk native I'm good to go. And I now realize how old most users are from their replies in this thread, not a bad thing.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

madsenshooter
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I like the grey theme that's available now, much better. Guess I can put my red shades away now.

JIMinPHX
11-19-2012, 11:02 PM
It's rough on my eyes too. It's not just the font size. It's color & layout as well.

geargnasher
11-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Well, I found just found a thread in the testing area from yesterday and Willy explained the skin options way earlier, most of us missed that I guess.

The update is he added yet another option tonight, the "grey theme", check it out, it's the best yet IMO.

Gear

crabo
11-20-2012, 01:59 AM
+1 on the gray theme and doing away with all the pastel colors on the envelopes.

Recluse
11-20-2012, 02:28 AM
Well, I found just found a thread in the testing area from yesterday and Willy explained the skin options way earlier, most of us missed that I guess.

The update is he added yet another option tonight, the "grey theme", check it out, it's the best yet IMO.

Gear

Best yet? Hell, it's AWESOME!

warf73
11-20-2012, 02:43 AM
Grey theme is GREAT now my eyes can stop watering.

uscra112
11-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Yeah, the grey is SOooo much better !

Thanks to all who pointed out the various ways of changing things at my end. Some worked, some didn't, but it's always good to learn new tricks. 'Course with my remembery as old and worn as it is, you'll have to remind me again tomorrow. :violin:

evan price
11-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Best yet? Hell, it's AWESOME!

Big plus one on that! Even better than CB Custom. Thanks again, Gear.

Tom Myers
11-20-2012, 09:37 AM
My #1 gripe is all the pansy, "metro-sexual" pastel colors on the icons, it all blends together into a low-contrast, non-partisan, equal-opportunity, politically-correct, gender-neutral blur and makes me really squint to sort out what thread I want to check out from the list of a sub-forum. Could we make ALL the little envelope thingies the bold, yellow/black (or lt. grey/black for no new posts) "rifleman" icon like on the main forum page?
Gear

Gear,

My sentiments exactly. I was searching for the correct adjectives to describe my intense dislike of the post listings and your post says it all. Searching through the posts makes me feel as if I am on a webpage designed by a teenage schoolgirl.
Using the "Grey" option is a great improvement for the rest of the site, but the posting section still needs some work.

My thanks to all those who are working so hard whipping this site into shape.

Elkins45
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Much of this grousing about the new format is giving me déjà vu from when BladeForums went through the same thing not too long ago.

Truthfully I'm surprised CB held out with the old version of Vbulletin as long as it did. My understanding from BFC is that the old version wasn't being supported anymore and that the upgrade was inevitable if people wanted things to keep working.

We will all adapt to the new format just fine. We're humans, we adapt. It's what we do.

trixter
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm liking it better now that you put the borders around things. Great keep up the good work. I like progress, it is good for the soul.

smokemjoe
11-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Wow, Its great today. leave as is, Thanks- Joe

Hardcast416taylor
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Well, between me and a neighbor`s son I tried to do the changes recommended. Those changes changed every other site on my computer. I had it changed to the way it was. Guess I`ll be using those dark glasses from my cataract surgery again. There`s a good possibility I`ll be using this site a lot less from now on, really not a fan of what was done to the site.Robert

gray wolf
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes gray is better, but, the black on white is a killer.
I need sun glasses, we should have sun glasses with the cast bullet Logo.

shooterg
11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Well of course the "Gray" Wolf would like the gray setting !

Me too !

Chicken Thief
11-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Ya'll got's to get Firefox!
No adds and scaleable font size

Standard size
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Standardtextsize.jpg

5 sizes bigger
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/5sizesbigger.jpg

10 sizes bigger
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/10sizesbigger.jpg

20 sizes bigger
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/20sizesbigger.jpg

I didnt go to max!
I was afraid a dog might pop out of the screen :-)

HangFireW8
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
No ads is not necessarily a good thing. The ads here and the policies here are quite reasonable.

You should try other boards where all links to non-advertisers get deleted and users get warnings or suspensions for talking about good deals on the 'net!

uscra112
11-21-2012, 02:30 AM
+1 to that ! So many boards only exist to promote the board owner's business.

But what I think the poster meant was that MOST sites are loaded with popups that drive you nuts. Using the AdBlock add-in to Firefox will stop that. I have not seen that CB sends me any popups. Another feature of Firefox that I use is called "Ghostery". It's a popular add-in that blocks the "trackers" that infest the Net, collecting lists of the things you click on, and at minimum enabling them to send you even more popups. Some sites load as many as twenty of the little buggers. What they do with the data will scare you like to death.

cajun shooter
11-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Let me just say that I've read a lot of negatives that only need a small adjustment with your PC. The new format is great on my Dell 701 XPS with Windows 7.
I did not have to do anything to my previous settings and it is much, much better!!
I'm sure that many of you are like myself and need some help from our grandchildren to make these things work as they should.
I come from the stop on the next corner and put a nickel in a phone that is in a phone booth on the side of the road generation.
I think if y'all use the correct adjustments to your PC's all of the problems reported will go away.
My hat is off to 45 Nut and #1 for the changes. Later David

kbstenberg
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I agree with David. Now that I'm used to this way I like it. Still a few buggs, but not worth crying about.
Kevin

alamogunr
11-21-2012, 05:19 PM

I knew if I looked long enough I would find the answer.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?172254-Not-Enough-Contrast

Gtek
11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I was able to stop and think, slow in nose and out mouth. Adjusted and not bad at all. I will admit it, will any of you? I HATE IT when they move things around in grocery store, I Hate IT when they move channels on idiot box around after so many years, on and on. I will admit I am getting old and I do not like change, dangit!! I bet you will adjust through the human nature.
You have never changed anything in your casting method to achieve hopefully better result. These guy's (the ones that make this happen here) love this discipline and they spend a lot of time and thought into this with probably just self satisfaction as reward. Slow in nose and out mouth. Gtek

JIMinPHX
11-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Is it possible to get a skin that is exactly like the old version?

HangFireW8
11-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Some sites load as many as twenty of the little buggers. What they do with the data will scare you like to death.

Yeah... they can correlate what they like with their previous cookies wiped every time, my fake names, my fake birthdays, fake localization and my random searches for similar sounding off-topics.

Fishman
11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
The mobile version isn't great, but the full site works fine on my iPhone. I'm amazed at the people whining and saying they are leaving the site. I guess they never had to go through the Dewey Decimal card file at the library, request something on an interlibrary loan, wait three weeks, then stand in line to copy it at the copy center which you had to pay for. "Oh no, the colors on this totally free site full of amazing information hurt my eyes. That's it I'm leaving!". Sheesh, whiny babies want their pacifier?"

No, I don't care who's tender feelings I hurt with this post. I really don't. Not one bit.

Bulldogger
11-22-2012, 10:55 AM
I didn't like the switch, but after a few days have gotten used to it. I LOVE the faster performance, and I especially love the added features. I set my view to CB Custom, and it's working out.
And I want to thank whoever set it up so one can click either on "Today" or "Today's Posts" to see the latest posts. In the old Site, you could only click "Today's Posts" if you were logged out, logged in I could only ever click on "Today" and that got me a display format I didn't like. I only ever logged in when I HAD to, and stayed logged out. I feel more like I can participate easier now, even if all I'm adding is chaff like "great news", or "looking good". There were plenty of times I had a comment to add, but didn't because of the hassle of formatting. That is GONE.
Also, I like the "Auto-Save" I see popping up as I type. Hopefully this will reduce lost, lengthy posts when one of us is working on a well-crafted reply or post. No more typing it offline then cut and paste, I hope.

Bulldogger

209jones
11-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Interesting. I have my computer set in Windows to larger print. 150% I think. when I went on site before logging in, I had beautiful large print in grey theme. Tried the CB custom and cast boolits,it reduced the print size. The grey theme is perhaps a bit bright, but, I can likely adjust the TV for that. 40" Coby LED monitor at about 9 ft is fairly bright anyways I think.
Site looks good though, no beefs.

HangFireW8
11-24-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm relieved to see the new site simply because I know what a security hazard the old software was.

HF

303Guy
11-25-2012, 02:35 PM
I would like Reply to Thread to take me to advanced and not to the already open Quick Reply.

I would also like more contrast. Adjusting my monitor is not the solution - I run other sites and software. It's the grey that strains my eyes. cb custom is too bright for me. I could live with a darker grey I think.

But in the end, this is still one of the most bestest sites on the planet!:2_high5:

waksupi
11-25-2012, 03:50 PM
I would like Reply to Thread to take me to advanced and not to the already open Quick Reply.

I would also like more contrast. Adjusting my monitor is not the solution - I run other sites and software. It's the grey that strains my eyes. cb custom is too bright for me. I could live with a darker grey I think.

But in the end, this is still one of the most bestest sites on the planet!:2_high5:

There is a "Go advanced" button right next to "Post Quick Reply". Do some finger exercises, bulk up, and click on it! [smilie=s:

uscra112
11-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm relieved to see the new site simply because I know what a security hazard the old software was.

HF

Security Risk ? ? ? ? ? ?

Bad Water Bill
11-25-2012, 04:58 PM
When I hit +Reply to Thread nothing happens.

I have to type in Quick Reply then Go Advanced in order to even get one[smilie=s:

Not sure if it is my puter or just my OLD age?:veryconfu

40Super
11-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I will suggest that nobody take that "CCW Quiz", even for S & giggles. I did once on another forum, it wants you email addy to give your score ect.... I usually don't or give all kinds of made up info for those but didn't on the e-mail. They sold my addy(I am sure the false phone # and address I gave them also) and I got spammed to the point I just closed it and went to another one. I was very disappointed to see that add at the top of this new format. It is BAD news.

I personally would like to see it GONE, HINT HINT!!!

waksupi
11-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I will suggest that nobody take that "CCW Quiz", even for S & giggles. I did once on another forum, it wants you email addy to give your score ect.... I usually don't or give all kinds of made up info for those but didn't on the e-mail. They sold my addy(I am sure the false phone # and address I gave them also) and I got spammed to the point I just closed it and went to another one. I was very disappointed to see that add at the top of this new format. It is BAD news.

I personally would like to see it GONE, HINT HINT!!!

I'm not seeing it. Where is it?

oneokie
11-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Security Risk ? ? ? ? ? ?

The old software was no longer supported. Which opens the possibility that it could be hacked.

sig2009
11-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Sounds like you need glasses!