PDA

View Full Version : Remington 750

Digger
11-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Inquired in the military forum since it is a semi auto .....
Just curious if any body has used one in .308 ,, seems to be a "civilian" version of a semi with a four round magazine ...

digger

junkbug
11-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a Remington 742, which is an earlier variant of that rifle, I believe. The Remington 740 and 742 rifles were a troubled design, with claims that they wore out their receiver internals after less than 1000 rounds. Mine does not show galling or chatter marks inside the receiver area, but I have seen others that have it.

Supposedly this problem was finally corrected With the Rem 7400. And yours is the rifle made after the 7400. So hopefully, it won't have those problems.

I would be very thourough about cleaning the rifle after even shooting just 20 rounds. Especially the chamber and the action bars under the fore-end, if that design still has them.

One poster here even converted his Rem 742 to a straight pull, to keep from having the battering problems. I may do that to mine. The parts needed to do that are very inexpensive, at least on a 742.

Post a picture, if you would, of your yifle. That usually helps peak interest, and generate responses.

376Steyr
11-19-2012, 12:08 PM
The 750 is the latest in a long line of Remington semi-autos. They are designed as hunting rifles, and are excellent at that task. I used to occasionally see ads for extended magazines for them, which held "only" eight or ten rounds IIRC. I don't remember seeing any more of those ads for the past several years. I never tried it myself, but supposedly if you dumped "a lot" of ammo through a 742 as quickly as possible, it would freeze up as its hunting rifle innards got hotter than they were intended to be. This might explain why I never saw any 20 round magazines offered for them.

Digger
11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the notes gentlemen , .. don't have one but that model caught my eye the other day... very curious .as to how they are in the real world ... Oh , .. and ran across an ad for a ten round magazine for that gun.
digger

Moonie
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
My son has a 742 in 30-06 with the fancy stocks. It shoots cast very well. We shoot 170gr Lee with 35gr H4895, enough that it cycles the action perfectly and isn't too bad on the receiver. We use a lube of 2 parts synthetic ATF, 1 part mobile 1 and one part STP on the bolt and inside the receiver, seems to do well for it as we have no issues with chattering or wear of any kind.

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
The 74 740 742 7400..now 750. The older ones I have used..if you can get the forearm
pressure right are capable of bolt action accuracy (or better).