PDA

View Full Version : Attn. 35 Rem Fans

TXGunNut
11-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Was shopping the Midway site and encontered a message to the effect that RP has discontinued 35 Rem component brass. Not sure this is true but Buffalo Arms Co and Cabelas both have a supply on hand. Midway has WW brass for the 35 Rem (kinda ironic) but I prefer the RP brass.
Just FYI, may not be true but I have a lifetime supply on the way from my friends @ BAC.

Lefty SRH
11-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Thats not good. Who is BAC?

TXGunNut
11-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Buffalo Arms Company, great folks. Good products @ good prices. They offer products for CAS, BPCR and boolit casters. www.buffaloarms.com

richhodg66
11-19-2012, 12:15 AM
That seems odd. Seems like it's still popular enough to warrant a big manufacturer to continue making it. Anybody seen anything from Remington on this?

TXGunNut
11-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Seems odd to me but I decided to err on the side of caution. 35 Rem is popular around here but no telling what it takes to be profitable for RP. 35 Rem brass lasts for many firings but there'll be a 35 Rem (or two) in my safe when I leave for the happy hunting grounds. It amazes me that the 32 Special (yes, I have one of those oddballs too!) is more popular.

wrench man
11-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Good thing I have enough WW brass on hand to last me the rest f my life.

wtfooptimax200
11-19-2012, 06:21 AM
I just bought some last night at the Cabela's Club employee pricing event. FWIW maybe the site lists it as discontinued because it is a seasonal run for 35 rem, therefore no more is coming from the manufacturer until the next run. This is just a guess, I have no idea when Remington actually runs this brass, but have heard from multiple sources that 35 Rem is a seasonal run at Remington.

357Mag
11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Gents -

What I've been hearing ( from a local gunstore ) is that Rem is getting out of th erelaoding components business... altogether. No "seasonal " batches of .35Rem brass, or factory-made "J-words.

" Alles Kaput " !

With regards,
357Mag

Salmoneye
11-19-2012, 03:53 PM
I had not looked up brass as components, but it has been nearly a year that Remington has not listed the .358" 200gr Core-Lokt as a component...

They are still (as of today) cataloging loaded .35 Remington 200gr Core-Lokt ammo, but I am betting if they quit selling bullets and brass, that loaded ammo can not be far behind...

bearcove
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Rem bullet quality has been trending in the opposite direction of their price.

Sorta like jumping off a bridge, its not gonna end good.

TXGunNut
11-19-2012, 11:05 PM
I kept RP 35 Rem brass on my Midway "wish list", previous message dealt with "seasonal runs". I used to shoot a few component Core-Lokt bullets and their j-word 45-70 bullets were pretty awesome until I discovered boolits. I have a little WW brass but as a rule I prefer RP over WW. In 35 Rem I haven't noticed a difference.
Good thing this cartridge is easy on brass.

bearcove
11-19-2012, 11:19 PM
In a Marlin I'm leaning towards the 356 Rimless. 358 chamber good shoulder enough capacity to push heavier boolits cause case capacity is not impinged upon by deep seating. 308 brass is cheap and available. I can sell my 35 rem brass and pay for the rechamber.

Ed in North Texas
11-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Gents -

What I've been hearing ( from a local gunstore ) is that Rem is getting out of th erelaoding components business... altogether. No "seasonal " batches of .35Rem brass, or factory-made "J-words.

" Alles Kaput " !

With regards,
357Mag

I find it interesting that the primary net "source" for the rumors about Remington:

1) abandoning ammunition component production, or

2) abandoning ammunition production (all supposedly "required" to go to the US Government), or

3) no longer producing any firearms at Ilion, NY (i.e. not producing any Remington, Marlin, or any other firearms other than an M-4 contract for 24,000 M-4s,

4) etc., etc.

I started to name the primary web source of these discussed rumors. For those who haven't guessed it, it was marlinowners.com. Now there's a surprise - not. I did find one thread on XDtalk.com where a poster said he heard a gunstore employee tell a customer that PMC was out of the ammo business and Remington was no longer making the Model 70. Now there is a solid bit of information.

Is it possible? Anything is possible. Is it probable, if you heard it on Fox Business Channel, or read it in Forbes - yes, otherwise no. The 'net" is good for spreading the most amazing rumors.

Ed

OverMax
11-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Shame if Rem quits making rifle components. I wonder if that rumor covers their shot shell components also? Anyone heard? To early for me to get excited. Curious is all.

No longer a rumor. After checking one of my favorite suppliers.

Winchester 35 Remington Unprimed Brass 50/bag
Product Number: WBWSC35REMU
Web Product Title: BRASS UNPR 35 REM. 50/BAG
Item Price:
Availability: The item you are looking for is currently sold out and will no longer be available in the future. Please see similar items below.

TXGunNut
11-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Dunno, Ed. My source was Midway and I suspect they have a pretty close relationship with Remington. When Remington quits making the M700 I'll know the inmates have taken over the asylum.

Salmoneye
11-22-2012, 08:17 AM
I find it interesting that the primary net "source" for the rumors about Remington:

1) abandoning ammunition component production, or

2) abandoning ammunition production (all supposedly "required" to go to the US Government), or

3) no longer producing any firearms at Ilion, NY (i.e. not producing any Remington, Marlin, or any other firearms other than an M-4 contract for 24,000 M-4s,

4) etc., etc.

I started to name the primary web source of these discussed rumors. For those who haven't guessed it, it was marlinowners.com. Now there's a surprise - not. I did find one thread on XDtalk.com where a poster said he heard a gunstore employee tell a customer that PMC was out of the ammo business and Remington was no longer making the Model 70. Now there is a solid bit of information.

Is it possible? Anything is possible. Is it probable, if you heard it on Fox Business Channel, or read it in Forbes - yes, otherwise no. The 'net" is good for spreading the most amazing rumors.

Ed

The info I relayed is directly from the Remington website...

In addition to not cataloging Core-Lokts in .358" size any longer, they do not catalog .308" Bronze-Points as components...

No "I heard it at the corner" issues whatsoever...

ADDING:

Just looked at the Rem site again, and they are not cataloging ANY brass at all...

Lefty SRH
11-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh boy whats happening now?

jlchucker
11-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Good thing I have enough WW brass on hand to last me the rest f my life.

Your comment made me go down to my loading bench and check my stash of 35 Rem brass. I haven't bought any for a few years now, but the last few unopened boxes that I bought from Midway, a few years ago now, are all Winchester brass. The only 35 Rem brass made by Remington that I have is either really old or is range pickups. I never thought that Remington would discontinue unprimed brass for one of their finest proprietary calibers, but maybe.....

jlchucker
11-22-2012, 12:01 PM
I had not looked up brass as components, but it has been nearly a year that Remington has not listed the .358" 200gr Core-Lokt as a component...

They are still (as of today) cataloging loaded .35 Remington 200gr Core-Lokt ammo, but I am betting if they quit selling bullets and brass, that loaded ammo can not be far behind...

I'm glad I've got a stash of those 200 grain Corelocts. I'm even gladder that I've got an RCBS 200 gr flatnose mold and a bagfull of Blammer's gaschecks! The boolits that I make myself shoot every bit as good, if not better, than the J-word stuff in my rifle.

Buzzard II
11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks TXGunNut for the heads up. I've been kinda busy lately, but after reading your comments I just ordered 250 pcs from BAC. I'm getting 170 pcs, the rest is backordered. I, too, prefer the Remington brass. BAC is taking backorders, but we'll see how that plays out. Thanks again! Bob

TXGunNut
11-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Bummer about the Core-Lokt bullets. Really liked the 200 grain in 35 and the 170 in 30. My favorite j-word bullets in a 45-70 were RP as well. Glad I've moved on to boolits in those calibers but those are some excellent bullets.

Ed in North Texas
11-22-2012, 04:57 PM
While on Marlinowners I noted one post where the poster cited a Remington spokesman as saying they are not abandoning ammunition or components (again, that would be 3d hand to me), and the response was "What would you expect them to say?"

So does anyone have a direct from Remington announcement that they will no longer produce .35 Remington brass, bullets or ammunition?

I don't know the truth, but I'm a bit suspicious when the primary source on the web is Marlinowners, there are danged few objective opinions on that site when it comes to Remington and Freedom Group. OTOH, A seasonal run would not be expected to be restocked, at least until about a year from the last seasonal run. And it might be that Remington isn't listing brass which isn't in regular production on their website. And it may be that there really isn't enough demand for .35 Remington brass. It would be a shame if Remington ceased production. But if the market is that thin for the brass, it would be a reasonable corporate decision. If the other claims (that Remington is quitting the ammo business) are true, Lonoke, AR is about to be in a world of hurt (i.e. Remington's only ammo plant is in Lonoke, AR).

Overmax - I note that you are listing your message for WW .35 Remington. Did your favorite supplier (whichever one) also list the same message for RP .35 Remington?

I've just sent an e-Mail to Remington and hopefully we'll get a straight answer from them. Or not. After the 6th of this month I am sure that absolutely anything unthinkable in my youth is absolutely possible today.

Ed

Ed in North Texas
11-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Rechamber to .358 Win is a doable answer to the problem. Whether loaded moderate pressures like a .35 Remington, or loaded as a .358 Win, brass will not be a problem as long as .308/.243/7mm-08, etc. brass is still around.

Just checked and Midway is stocking WW brass, quantities of 50 to 1,000 available. Graf's is out of WW (with no note about future availability, they didn't stock R-P) and Natchez shows out of stock and discontinued for WW. Go figure!:veryconfu

I have to change my post on the Midway stock. They are showing available for the quantity 50, out of stock - seasonal run for the 500 and 1000.
Guess I need to add brass to my spreadsheet so I know what quantities I have without going to the reloading shelves.

Salmoneye
11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
I stand corrected!

I found the brass listings on the Remington site...Sadly, .35 Rem is indeed not cataloged:

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/components/rifle-bullets/brass-components.aspx

As to this:

Bummer about the Core-Lokt bullets. Really liked the 200 grain in 35 and the 170 in 30.

The .358" Bullets are not listed, but the .308" Core-Lokts are cataloged only in 150gr apparently:

Core-LoktŪ Bullets
Index/EDI No. Order No. Caliber Nominal Bullet Dia. Bullet Weight (grs.) Bullet Style
B2432 22920 24/6mm .243 100 Pointed Soft Point
B2571 22733 25 .257 100 Pointed Soft Point
B2642 22900 26/6.5mm .264 140 Pointed Soft Point
B2772 22746 27 .277 130 Pointed Soft Point
B2842 22756 28/7mm .284 150 Pointed Soft Point
B3081 22776 30 .308 150 Pointed Soft Point
B3083 22788 30 .308 180 Pointed Soft Point
B30301 22772 30 .308 150 Soft Point

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/components/rifle-bullets/core-lokt-bullets.aspx

The .308" that are NOT listed any longer as components, are the .308" Bronze Point which was one of the first .premium' bullets ever marketed...

Ed in North Texas
11-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I stand corrected!

I found the brass listings on the Remington site...Sadly, .35 Rem is indeed not cataloged:
snip

They sort of hid the listing in a sub-group. Wonder who made that decision. Did it make sense to some web wienie who didn't know brass from his ///?

TXGunNut
11-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I was referring to the RN 170, liked them in my thutty-thutty. Still have a handful.

OverMax
11-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Ed in North Texas:

Overmax - I note that you are listing your message for WW .35 Remington. Did your favorite supplier (whichever one) also list the same message for RP .35 Remington?

I just noticed that now too. I typed in 35 Remington Brass on the site catalog and must have been shuttled to Winchesters side.Went back to see and it is 35-WW brass like you say that is no longer being offered. I can't find any wording on or about Rem 35 Brass period. My mistake. Should have paid more attention to detail.

TXGunNut
11-26-2012, 11:09 PM
FWIW I've had decent results w/ WW brass in this cartridge but it sure was nice to get that box of RP brass from BAC today. I even ordered 100 RP 30-06 cases just to be safe, will be able to change over to Hornady or Norma for that cartridge in the next few years. RP may not the best brass out there but it's been my go-to brass for over 30 yrs. It's been readily available and a good balance of quality and price for my needs. Kinda makes me sad that someday soon I may not see those familiar green bags on store shelves.

Lefty SRH
11-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I called BAC today and asked when they would get some more .35 Rem cases since SOMEONE bought all they had! :kidding:

They told me they didn't know when (or if) they would get some more. :cry:

Buzzard II
11-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I called BAC today and asked when they would get some more .35 Rem cases since SOMEONE bought all they had! :kidding:

They told me they didn't know when (or if) they would get some more. :cry:

Yeah, that someone was me-sort of. I ordered 250 pcs and 170 are being shipped to me-the rest are backordered. Cabelas still has some for sale according to their website.

30calpal
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
My goodness, why wouldn't Remington discontinue their 'components' line? If we can't roll our own, we have to buy theirs, right?!! So their price goes up and they make more $$ if you continue to feed your bang stick. I'm surprised they haven't done it already and Hornady and Winchester and all the others right behind!! You guys are on the right track, get it while you can!!!

TXGunNut
11-27-2012, 11:25 PM
I did all I could to make the components business profitable for RP. :shock: Hornady's roots are in the reloading business so I don't see them following RP's (apparent) lead. WW...who knows? I think components is a larger share of their business than it is (was) w/ RP. I don't know what RP's thinking is on the components business but my research tells me they're all about profits and not much interested in nostalgia.
Sorry, Lefty. Must admit I placed my order before posting. :bigsmyl2:

Ed in North Texas
11-28-2012, 09:22 AM
My goodness, why wouldn't Remington discontinue their 'components' line? If we can't roll our own, we have to buy theirs, right?!! So their price goes up and they make more $$ if you continue to feed your bang stick. I'm surprised they haven't done it already and Hornady and Winchester and all the others right behind!! You guys are on the right track, get it while you can!!!

Well, I received a reply from Remington - such as it was. And your thought about having to buy their loaded ammunition isn't the reason. Remington wrote to tell me:

"Remington no longer manufactures cartridges in this caliber. For additional assistance, you may wish to contact the following companies that specialize in older and obsolete ammunition."

No doubt about it, they have completely discontinued the caliber in their cartridge lineup, as their website list shows.

So we will need to keep careful watch on the remaining brass producers. To be honest, when a cartridge, loaded ammunition or brass, goes to "seasonal availability" it is because of declining sales. It is an indicator that, absent a renewed interest in the cartridge, it is on the way to obsolescence.

I ordered 200 WW cases from Midway (I guess I'm one of the culprits for the reason they were shortly thereafter out of stock of WW). These, plus my existing RP cases will keep me shooting .35 Rem for a long time (like probably the rest of my shooting days). For the younger folks, it is time to consider a rechamber to .358 Winchester for those with rifles which have been offered in that caliber in the past (e.g. the Marlin has, and IIRC Winchester did in a version of the Win 94, but not the standard 94 - I could be mistaken on that).

Ed

rhbrink
11-28-2012, 10:00 AM
I've been following this thread mainly to see if Remington indeed did quit make 35 Remy brass and it appears so. I probably have enough to last a long time especially if I'm real carefull which I will be now. But I was looking around for something to make it out of just in case. The 303 Brit and the 30-40 Krag both have the same diameter base but with a rim. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried forming 35 Remy brass from either of these two cases. If it could be easily done and have the bolt face and extractor made to fit the rimmed case it might just be a easy substitute? One could trun the rims of and cut a new extractor groove if absolutely needed but I think that I would be happy with a rimmed 35 Remy myself. One might have to neck turn the brass too but that's is not that hard to do, just wondering?

RB

Lefty SRH
11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
YEP Cabelas has them in stock. For the LOW LOW price of $58 per 100 pieces!

bearcove
11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I've been following this thread mainly to see if Remington indeed did quit make 35 Remy brass and it appears so. I probably have enough to last a long time especially if I'm real carefull which I will be now. But I was looking around for something to make it out of just in case. The 303 Brit and the 30-40 Krag both have the same diameter base but with a rim. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried forming 35 Remy brass from either of these two cases. If it could be easily done and have the bolt face and extractor made to fit the rimmed case it might just be a easy substitute? One could trun the rims of and cut a new extractor groove if absolutely needed but I think that I would be happy with a rimmed 35 Remy myself. One might have to neck turn the brass too but that's is not that hard to do, just wondering?

RB

Folks do it for contenders so they have a rim to make extractors work better. Works fine as far as I know. Turning off the rim would be the hardest part.

EDG
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
The brass supply for this cartridge has been squirrely for the last 10 or 12 years. I pack ratted what I could find cheap but remember passing up brass from a New England rifle range that was "so expensive" at $40/500 for once fired all Remington. Normally the 500 to 600 cases that I have would be a life time supply. Unfortunately after passing on that brass for my Remington 141, I got a deal on a first year 760 and a 1952 Marlin 336.

Yes .303 and .30-40 Krag are about right for 35 Rem but they are kind of expensive now and a lot of work to reform. If you can spare a few bucks find some 35 Rem while you can.

Looks like Chesnut Ridge has R-P brass in stock but it is not cheap.

izzyjoe
11-28-2012, 09:54 PM
i'm glad i also have a small amount of 35 rem brass stuck back. it can be made from different brass, but the pay off just ain't worth the time. if i had to make my own brass for my 35, it would be sold fast!

TXGunNut
11-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Agreed, EDG, 35 Rem brass has never been plentiful but for the first 20+ years I loaded it I was firing them in a Contender, still have most of my original brass but it's getting a little tired. A little while back back I lucked into a sweet 336 in 35 Rem and snatched it up. Damn near snatched up another one just as nice this summer, still wish I had but now I'm not so sure. The 35 Rem is so popular around here I can't believe this wonderful cartridge no longer interests RP.
I've got all the 35 Rem brass I'll ever need but I feel sorry for the folks who don't reload or don't have brass to load. It will be a shame to have so many wonderful rifles in this wonderful caliber idled because ammo is not available.
I wish I'd been wrong when I started this thread, glad a few of you were able to put some brass back to keep your rifles (and pistols) fed.
And yes, Cabela's still has a few.

Lefty SRH
11-29-2012, 06:17 AM
i'm glad i also have a small amount of 35 rem brass stuck back. it can be made from different brass, but the pay off just ain't worth the time. if i had to make my own brass for my 35, it would be sold fast!

Izzy, what case can be made into .35 Remmy? What tools/dies would be needed to do the reforming?

Lefty SRH
11-29-2012, 06:20 AM
A couple have post ...."I have a lifetime supply..." or ...."I have some tucked back...." If you don't mind saying, how many pieces would that be? How much do you have tucked back? I went and counted 100 rounds of factory loaded ammo and I have some thats just brass but haven't counted. I guess I'd like to know where I stand in comparison to others here.

How does the Winchester brass compare to Remington? I have always prefered Remington brass over Winchester rifle brass.

Ed in North Texas
11-29-2012, 11:26 PM
If I had to think about brass conversion (beyond something simple, like cutting a case shorter, annealing and running it through a sizing die a few times - like .43 Beaumont and 32 gauge brass/.50-90 brass or .577-450 Martini-Henry and 24 gauge brass), I think it would be ultimately less expensive to sell whatever .35 Remington brass/etc. I had and pay for a rechamber to .358 Winchester. How long it might be before that cartridge hit the ropes, I don't know.

Ed

TXGunNut
11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
A couple have post ...."I have a lifetime supply..." or ...."I have some tucked back...." If you don't mind saying, how many pieces would that be? How much do you have tucked back? I went and counted 100 rounds of factory loaded ammo and I have some thats just brass but haven't counted. I guess I'd like to know where I stand in comparison to others here.

How does the Winchester brass compare to Remington? I have always prefered Remington brass over Winchester rifle brass.

I hope I have a "lifetime supply" but may have a bit more. I have around 100 rounds of well-used 20-25 yr old brass, about 50% ea of RP and WW. I have 100 pieces of RP on the shelf from BACO and a safety cushion of another 100 coming from Cabelas. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite hunting rounds so this 52 yr old may be a bit optimistic about having a "lifetime supply".
When given the choice I generally prefer RP over WW but for some reason in this cartridge it doesn't seem to make any difference. IMHO there are other companies who make better brass than RP or WW but AFAIK they don't make brass for the 35 Rem.

Lefty SRH
11-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm in better shape than I thought after counting what I have. About 80 rounds of factory ammo, and 200-250 pieces of brass being RP, FC, WW and a few Hornady.

wrench man
12-01-2012, 01:49 AM
A quick glance at the bench shows 250 virgin WW brass and 200 Rem 200grn rncl in an ammo can under the bench, 150 reloads on the bench, 20 factory loads, must have 100/200 reloads out in the Jeep?, it's raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock so I aint gunna go out and look!
This is a hunting gun not a shooting gun so I should be set for some time!

Ed in North Texas
12-01-2012, 11:25 AM
A quick glance at the bench shows 250 virgin WW brass and 200 Rem 200grn rncl in an ammo can under the bench, 150 reloads on the bench, 20 factory loads, must have 100/200 reloads out in the Jeep?, it's raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock so I aint gunna go out and look!
This is a hunting gun not a shooting gun so I should be set for some time!

Those of us east of the Rockies would appreciate you sending some of that rain this way.

I have somewhere between 4 -500 cases. On the downhill slide to 70, I'm positive that is more than enough for the rest of my shooting life. Hopefully those will still be enough for whichever son or grandson winds up with the rifle (haven't set down to make that list out yet).

Ed

30calflash
12-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Izzy, what case can be made into .35 Remmy? What tools/dies would be needed to do the reforming?

There was an article in Handloader magazine several years ago on converting inexpensive 308 cases to various other types. All of the 308 based ones were covered along with 35 Rem and 6.5 Jap. Several steps to the sizing process were mentioned using various dies.The last two needed some finish work on a lathe.

izzyjoe
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
sorry it took so long to get back, but as 30calflash said the 308 based case can be used, and maybe even 30-06. but it will take alot of work cause it has a smaller case head, and the case body is slightly small. i tried making one with a .243 case once, it was a total falure. i have about a 150 rds. of brass, so i'm ok for a long time. like wrenchman said these are huntin' rifles so brass should last a long time.

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-02-2012, 02:37 AM
All of a sudden, I feel much better about trading my old 35 Rem off for another 45-70 this fall...

izzyjoe
12-02-2012, 09:49 AM
you did good if you traded a 35 Rem for a 45-70. what kind was it?

Lunarphase
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
you did good if you traded a 35 Rem for a 45-70. what kind was it?
That's a matter of opinion and models traded.

BruceB
12-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Do a search for "buy or reform"

On page 11 of the results, I have a thread dated 12/26/2007, on converting .308 Winchester brass to .35 Remington. I've now reformed over 200 cases without failures, and the earliest ones are still in service after (maybe) three or four loadings. Go to the latest posts on that thread.....the procedure is actually dated 4/8/2008.

It may seem like a lot of trouble, but considering the availability of .308 brass compared to .35 cases, it makes good sense (and insurance for the future).