PDA

View Full Version : Broke my lee sprue cutter

rcav8r
11-18-2012, 07:59 PM
I've been using my new Lee 6 cavity mold for 124gr 9mm bullets today, and cast a few hundred bullets already, when this particular shot seemed to be very hard to open the sprue plate...in fact, the handle broke! I have no idea why it was so hard to open this time.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I'll have to send it in on Monday I guess.

PS Paul
11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Once or twice I have let the sprue cool too much, causing really difficult sprue-cutting. The plate is sintered metal, so I'm told, so the breaking is not uncommon, but has not yet happened to me, thank goodness.

leadman
11-18-2012, 08:12 PM
You may have let the sprue harden too much or you did not have the sprue plate closed all the way. When this happens follow the same procedure in the instructions for a sprue plate that wasn't closed all the way. You read the instructions, right? LOL.
The procedure is to stick a flat tip screwdriver blade between the mold block and the sprue plate cam lever. This will allow the cam to work as intended and give you more leverage to cut the sprue.
The other alternative is to grab a propane torch and heat up the sprue some so it will cut easier.

rcav8r
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Actually, I was going along at a regular pace, so not so sure about cooling too much.

imashooter2
11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the club. They are remarkably fragile. Most likely the sprue plate wasn't completely closed as leadman suggests.

MT Gianni
11-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Don't send it in as they are not a fitted item. Go to Lee and hit molds then parts I believe. The alternative is to call them but no need to send anything. If you have another 6 cavity you can swap that one while you wait.

Hamish
11-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Is the member that made forged/machined handles to replace the sintered still selling them? (ran across the thread today, but can't remember who it was)

rcav8r
11-19-2012, 12:00 AM
I was just thinking "maybe I can get a new handle waterjetted at work"... :)

I'd have to make a new handle though, or drill out the back of this one so I can punch out the tang. Yeah, it broke off flush with the wood handle.

captain-03
11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Yep -- broke that same mold ..... and another one in 40cal -- both 6 cavity ...

MikeS
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Is the member that made forged/machined handles to replace the sintered still selling them? (ran across the thread today, but can't remember who it was)

As far as I know he is. The member is Red River Rick he's in Canada. If you go to the vendors sub-forum there's a thread there about them, and how to order them.

Dale53
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
I, too, have broken a Lee Sprue Plate handle. Many times, it is broken, when you try to cut all six sprues before the mould has heated up to casting temperature. I, now, pre-heat all of my moulds and this makes it MUCH less likely to happen. The technique of only filling the first two cavities, then progressively adding more cavities as the mould comes up to heat solves this problem pretty handily.

Cutting the sprue a couple of seconds after the sprue solidifies helps also. Keep in mind, that cutting too soon will wipe lead over the surface of the mould causing it's own set of problems.

Proper technique will avoid the broken sprue plate problem in nearly all cases.

One of the persistent problems I have is to make sure that the sprue plate is fully closed. If you squeeze all handles at once, sometimes the sprue plate handle will actually open the mould slightly. I find that I have to watch this closely. Apparently, all Lee six cavity moulds do not have this "ailment" but most do.
FWIW
Dale53

hiram
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Besides heating the mold I make 2 pours in the first 2 cavities closest to the pivot screw and cut. Then I make two pours for 4 cavities and cut. Then 2 pours for 6 cavities and cut. This should help.

glowe
11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I've been using my new Lee 6 cavity mold for 124gr 9mm bullets today, and cast a few hundred bullets already, when this particular shot seemed to be very hard to open the sprue plate...in fact, the handle broke! I have no idea why it was so hard to open this time.
Has this happened to anyone else?

I'll have to send it in on Monday I guess.
Same thing happened to me last week. I ordered 5 spares for $3 each. I'll find the site info if you want it.

captaint
11-19-2012, 06:15 PM
As has been said, my experience is that we MUST get the mold fully up to temp, or cutting all 6 sprues will be a problem. I pre heat on the hotplate with the sprueplate down before use. Then I make sure to keep my hands off the sprue cut handle when I'm not cuttin them. This way we don't get HUGE boolits. enjoy Mike

trixter
11-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but get a hot plate and preheat your molds, and the first pour will cut the sprue like butter. REALLY!! NO MORE BREAKAGE.

fredj338
11-20-2012, 03:55 PM

I bought two of the machined ones, really nice for the price & I doubt it's even possible to break one. So for molds you use a lot, $15 is a good investment IMO. The best way to not break the stock one is get the mold to temp, either preheat on a hot plate, not for me, or cast 2-3 cavs only until hot then keep it hot.

jmort
11-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Here
http://www.kal.castpics.net/

Balta
11-22-2012, 04:46 PM
OOO yes i broke my in first casting...6 banger.Send pic to Lee and there send me a new one for free.International shipping.Great service..

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Yep! They break. I lent a new 6 cav mould to a friend that is very experienced and forgot to tell him to gradually heat the mould by casting a few just using the first two cavities, then the next two, etc. He welded it up and being an experienced caster, worked that out for himself.

I have four Red River Rick's handles and they are a work of art and a joy to use! I didn't know he made the sprue handles,, so I will be ordering a couple of those off him.

Irascible
11-26-2012, 02:40 PM
KAL also makes some realy nice 6 cavity handles as long as you are paying shipping anyway. They also make a LEE type sprue cutter and sprue plate for Lyman 4 cavity moulds!

Dale53
11-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Mihec (MP Molds) also makes VERY nice plasma cut steel handles with stainless steel ferrules. I treasure mine.

FWIW
Dale53

Four Fingers of Death
11-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Those KAL sprue cutter handles are mightyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy nice, but it occurs to me that I have 10+ Lee 6 cav moulds and one repaired handle, hmmmm.

Whilst looking at his site, I saw the case stretcher. I have no need for one of these, but ain't they nifty??

fredj338
11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I managed to break another one last weekend. Casting cores in my new BTS core mold. I heated the mold, cast 2-3front & 2-3 rear cavs, several times till I thought the mold was hot enough. Then my first full mold snapped the handle off. It takes a lot more force to do 11 sprus than 6 I found out. Fortunately I have the extra RR handle, great piece of gear. Lee should pay this guy to make them for their molds & just charge another $10!

Sakdog
11-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Got me twice. I now follow the same method as previously mentioned. first 2 cavities, last 2 cavities gradually let the lead warm up the mold.

FWIW both the ones I broke were successfully welded with a el cheapo Harbor freight flux core machine niether have broken again since.

Four Fingers of Death
11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
KAL also makes some realy nice 6 cavity handles as long as you are paying shipping anyway. They also make a LEE type sprue cutter and sprue plate for Lyman 4 cavity moulds!

I have a pair of his large handles and a pair of his 6 cav handles. If I had of realised that he made the sprue cutter handles I probably would have bought a pair of them also.

I have a few Lyman nutcracker moulds, that's worth thinking about.

When I bought the handles, it was as part of a group buy, although coming from Australia, i was supplied direct. I never thought to check out the site to see if there was anything else I needed. D'Oh! lol.

lunicy
11-28-2012, 08:13 PM
i.ve welded it back together before. still works fine

root
12-04-2012, 10:32 PM
How do you get in touch with Kal tool & die?

I have sent two e-mails with no response.
There is only a mailing addy no phone number..

I have a few of the 6 cavity molds and have broke a cam here and there. I did make my owe. but would like some professional made ones. although the one I made WILL NEVER BREAK.

same thing as the 450 sizer handle I made for that is so tuff it will shear the rocker bolts on the sizer before it breaks.

Anyway how do I contact him for some cams?

Four Fingers of Death
12-05-2012, 04:55 AM
I did a bit of a check, I found 11x6 cavity moulds up stairs and there must be another half dozen or so downstairs. I think I have enough sprue cutter handles :(

MT Chambers
12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Lee has it down right, let some parts break to prevent further damage to the equipment, kind of a "fail safe" thing, brilliant!

Irascible
12-06-2012, 09:48 AM
KAL doesn't seem to answer Emails. Last order I sent, I just figured the price from his sight and mailed in the order with an International money order. The parts were here in about a week and a half, no invoice and no letter with them!

Four Fingers of Death
12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
KAL doesn't seem to answer Emails. Last order I sent, I just figured the price from his sight and mailed in the order with an International money order. The parts were here in about a week and a half, no invoice and no letter with them!

Too busy making handles I suppose. With a lot of these small operations, you are actually talking to the wife/girlfriend and if she's busy / missing from the equation / off at Mum's / busy with kids, welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, you just plumb outa luck!

I knew a gunsmith guy once that made target rifles. You could ring through any queries/orders, etc from 4pm-5pm. The phone was never answered out of that time (pre email/computer days). A pleasant young woman would handle your query. The guy was a widower and his 12 yr old started handling the calls after he lost his wife because the calls were interrupting his work, causing delays and ruining his concentration. She had a big folder with all of the prices and options, etc. She had been hanging around her father's workshop and holding things, helping since she was a tot. Nice girl, I used to ring her up and say hello ocasionally, I could never afford one of their rifles nor did I compete seriously enough to justify one anyway.

As long as the handles turned up, all is good.

fredj338
12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Lee has it down right, let some parts break to prevent further damage to the equipment, kind of a "fail safe" thing, brilliant!

Interesting view point. I like to think they just cut corners & use the cheapest stuff possible. That is my exp w/ most LEE products. Nothing about their molds screams quality, but they can be made to work.
Place the order w/ KAL, he's good for it, but it may take some time w/ international shipping & such. A really nice product though.

Four Fingers of Death
12-09-2012, 02:30 AM
I like to think they just cut corners & use the cheapest stuff possible.

I don't think that is true, I feel (and they state it) that they make things strong enough to do the job. You could make handles strong enough to never break, but they would be heavy and more expensive.

At the current strength level, most users would never have a problem, the odd one does and they relace them. If you sell 100,000 handles and they are a dollar fifty cheaper to produce, that saving can be passed on. If a hundred come back, there has been a saving of $150,000 which well and truely covers the extra 100 handles. A lot of guys, will just shrug, get out the welder and repair them.

Lee are selling a six cavity mould with three handles for around the cost (or) less than other's single cavity moulds. Something's gotta give.

If it wasn't for Lee, I wouldn't have so many useful moulds.