PDA

View Full Version : 375 Win Mold For Marlin 375

GunnyJohn
11-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I want to start casting for my 375 Win. I just went to Ranch Dogs website ad found he is going out of business, and no longer has any of the 375 molds. Does anyone out there have any other molds that work well in a micro groove barrel?

TomAM
11-18-2012, 11:17 PM
The main issues with the 375 are the .378"+ groove diameter and the extremely long throat. This is also found on the Win model 94 in 375. If the bullet design does not account for these features, it will fail in any type of rifling.

Buckshot
11-20-2012, 03:08 AM
.............Gunny, didja slug the barrel yet? TomAM mentioned .378"+ grooves, I was under the impression the 375 Winchester WAS a true .375 (or within Winchester's tolerances for that)? I know the 38-55's were NOT .375's, but originally .380's. I always thought the 375 Winchester was tighter? Were you curious about the Ranch Dogs tumble lube designs because you don't have a lube-sizer, or due to the Marlin's MG barrel? You can get a conventional lube groove boolit to shoot in the MG bbls.

................Buckshot

LongPoint
11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
My early Winchester Big Bore slugs at .3776 give or take a hair. I had the RCBS mold designed for the 375, it dropped at just under .376. I sold that mold when Michael introduced his boolet in the 2 cavity molds. It is a great design. I thought about picking up a 6 banger when they were brought out, but since I very seldom use it for plinking, the one I have ought last a life time or two. Good Luck.

LongPoint

runfiverun
11-21-2012, 12:47 AM
i use the lyman 375449 sized and checked to .379 in both my win-94 and marlin 375.
the marlins sights correspond well to the boolit being pushed pretty hard.

Buckshot
11-21-2012, 01:56 AM
............Like runfiverun, I too bought the Lyman 375449 for an old Marlin 1893 in 38-55. However my copy of the Lyman 2 cav mould dropped'em at .377" and the Marlin wanted a .380/.381" slug.

............Buckshot

Irascible
11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
I have an LBT LFN GC mould that casts at .380. MY RCBS 37-250 mould casts at .3785 it is also a GC mould. Alloy is 1 tin to 16 lead
My Marlin Cowboy 336 in 38-55 also needs a .380 bullet to shoot well.

SgtDog0311
11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Gunny,

I've shot a lot of Ranch Dogs through my .375s (both Marlins). I originally did not have a mold so bought my bullets from Jerry at Carolina Cast. He's a good guy.

I then went to Accurate Molds for a makeover of the RD but with lube grooves instead of tumble grooves. Accurate is about double the cost of what the RD mold was so that's the down side. I wish I’d have bought more than one of his molds before he stopped production.

I'll caution you about another issue you may run into if you go with an RD clone from Accurate. The bullet from the Accurate catalog is not exact to the RD 235 specs. I even sent drawings and specified them over the catalogue. I believe from all evidence my calipers give I got the catalog version in the mail.

The ogive is just enough different to make a considerable delta when the LANDS begin seating a bullet in a slip-case. The good thing about that RD was the space it took up in that chamber. Also, in my 375s, (the 1983 production slugs at .377 the 1980 slugs at .3785) the dies have a little trouble handling the Win brass wrapped around that fatter bullet. I had to get a 38-55 die and believe it or not still had trouble till I went to Starline brass. Michael’s bullet carries so much weight in the nose that the barrel of my dies want to keep seating it even if take the seating stem out. I’ve honed it twice. And with Win brass, it wants to role the flare over and start crimping long before it gets to the crimp shoulder. Thinner walled Starline solved both problems.

I’ve not yet determined if I’m sorry about going with the Accurate Mold but only because I have not ruled out if I can make it shoot as good as the RDs shot. They really were just fine at normal ranges. I got ¾ groups at 50 yards with several loads. If I ever get that with the Accurate bullet and the Starline brass, then I’ll be happy. And as for the bigger bored of the two 375s, I may have to get a new mold altogether. I’ve put some .380s through that one and seen enough to make me think that’s the size I should be working with. Been busy with another gun so haven’t proved either one out yet.

John

SgtDog0311
11-30-2012, 09:44 PM
I have an LBT LFN GC mould that casts at .380. MY RCBS 37-250 mould casts at .3785 it is also a GC mould. Alloy is 1 tin to 16 lead
My Marlin Cowboy 336 in 38-55 also needs a .380 bullet to shoot well.
Irascible, What do you think of your LBT mold. I've been considering one for a Marlin CB in 45 Colt. Having trouble making up my mind. John

SgtDog0311
12-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Gunny, "Accurate is about double the cost of what the RD mold" - as you were on that statement. Just went and looked at what I paid and it was less than recollection. Based on everything I've read about Accurate molds, I don't have any reason to think that bullet won't prove out fine once I get back to it and get the conbination right. Let me know if you want the catalog #. But keep in mind it won't be a tumble lube.

Dan Cash
12-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Irascible, What do you think of your LBT mold. I've been considering one for a Marlin CB in 45 Colt. Having trouble making up my mind. John

forgive my butting in here. I have an LBT 2 cavity for my .41 mag. Using Veral's measurement criteria to size the mould, I get an as cast bullet that fits my S&W 57, shoots extremely well and I have yet to tap the handles to make the bullets drop. Make the mould and melt hot and get to casting. It is amazingly fast. If you slug and measure correctly, you will get a spot on mould that should serve you well. Of course, Accurate moulds will provide a superrior product as well.
Dan

SgtDog0311
12-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks Dan... I didn't mean to hi-jack either. But thanks for the feedback on the LBT mold just the same. I've been going back and forth on an LBT mold for my Marlin 45 Colt. I'm slugged good and even did a chamber mold (sprung the lever open on the first one though) so now just wrestling with which one to get. Thought about getting a 100 count of Wide Flat GC in 300gr & 250gr from Montana Bullets LBT selection just to try them first. But that's nearly half the cost of a mold - after shipping. Probably ought to just get on with it. Hard to justify buying bullets when you got lead in the garage.

jtaylor1960
12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I used the Ranch Dog mold for my 375 with good results.I used 38/55 Starline brass and sized the bullet to .379.The length of the chamber is such that to get the bullet into the rifiling you must use the longer brass with this bullet.If I remember correctly the length is 2.080" which is about the standard length for the 38/55.

SgtDog0311
12-02-2012, 11:55 PM
2.080 is what mine worked out to with my Accurate mold bullet and Starline. Still have work to do. Accuacy with the loads I last shot was good but not as good as I think it should be or as accurate as it was with RDs and Win brass. Not a comment on either bullet or brass, just where I left off before hunting season and other interruptions.

Irascible
12-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Sgtdog0311 - The LBT is an unusual mould in that all the venting is through machining marks and it has a very unusual sprue plate/cutter, Given that it makes fine bullets. I question how long it will last with roll pins as guides going into un bushed aluminum holes, but it will probably cast 1000s of bullets before it wears out. I've cast at least 1000.
By the way, RCBS will make a custom 37-250 oversize mould. Mine casts at .383 out of ww + 5% pure lead + 5% tin (Lyman formula 10ww + 1 50-50 solder).

SgtDog0311
12-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback Irascible. Apprecate it! "roll pins as guides going into un bushed aluminum holes" -- I'll have to check that out. Got my first one on the way in the mail. And back to the OP's original post, I saw an LBT 379 four hole go on ebay last night. Commanded just about what I thought for a price. It was plain base and not a lot of info offered, else I might have bid.