PDA

View Full Version : rifle lube

Beekeeper
11-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Didn't know what else to call it!!
I am still working on my Israeli Mausers.
On one of them I sometimes find a thin piece of lead at the muzzle.
Not always tho.
I am using Bens Red Lube on a Lyman 311466 boolit sized to 312 , copper gas check.
IMR 4895 powder 32 grains.
With the 1-14 twist I do not think the 32 grains of 4895 is enough but the leading gives me reason to pause.
Would changing lube help? If so what recomendation.
Have been using Bens Red on everything else with no problems so am wondering which way to go.

beekeeper

zomby woof
11-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I like 2500+, use it for everything

longbow
11-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Sounds to me like you are pushing the boolit a little hard.

I have an Israeli Mauser in .308 and it was the first "small bore" rifle I had loaded with cast. I started with a Lyman load for the 31141 but had no gas checks so loaded boolits barefoot. That didn't go so well! I got bad leading and also extremely poor accuracy with keyholes at 25 yards. I was loading per the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook using IMR3031 and ALOX lube.

I lived a remote area so getting supplies was difficult but it turned out that one of my neighbours had some old Lyman gas checks for .30 cal so I tried gas checks. That helped some but still wasn't great.

In the end I switched powders and found that 18 to 22 grs. of IMR 4227 worked very well under a gas checked 31141. I have not shot it past 100 yards but it worked pretty well out to 100 yards anyway.

Have you tried any other powders or boolits? Lighter loads?

In all honesty I have never gone back to 3031 or any "hot" loads in that gun. I have only loading it with typical "lightish" cast boolit loads with GC boolits. I also got pretty good results using PP boolits at typical jacketed loads/velocities.

I find the "small bore" .30 calibers more difficult to get good results with than my .44 or .45-70's. I had trouble with the .308 and found I had to oven heat treat boolits to get decent accuracy at higher velocities with my .303's.

I guess that brings up the question of boolit hardness. What are you using? If ACWW, you might want to water drop or try oven heat treating to see if it helps.

There will be an answer somewhere! Keep trying.

Longbow

plainsman456
11-18-2012, 06:29 PM
I have been using 2500+ for a while now and it has never failed to work.
It gets used for pistols as well as rifles because i get tired of changing.