PDA

View Full Version : Next step!

Gliden07
11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I've been doing this a short time and have cast and loaded a few Rounds, got the hang of that. I feel its time to take the next step and make them work well in my Firearms. I am going to start casting for 9MM soon, I checked the sticky out about it (thats what gave me this idea). I wanna make some slug blanks for my .45 so I can make Boolits that shoot better. I've had some leading issues (not real bad but I want to fix it!!) in my .45 and want them to go away so I figured this is the next logical step. I have some stick on wheel weights in my stash that I was gonna cast the slugs from, is the lead soft enough to slug my barrels with? Or should I use sinkers as suggested. Or if anyone has better suggestions to slug these barrels I'd love to hear them!!

Also after "Slugging" barrel should I use a Micrometer or Calipers to measure slug? I assume that I measure it at widest part (bottom of the groove to bottom of the groove) on the rifiling's diameter. After getting this measurement if its not a "standard" size what inforation do I need to get a mold made. I'm gonna need a lube/sizer too with the correct diameter whats a good choice for someone getting started for one of these? Right now I tumble lube my 45 boolits and use a Lee mold.

Thanks!!
Gliden

clodhopper
11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Most molds are over size.
Proper sizing die should be your focus.

Bullet Caster
11-18-2012, 12:19 PM
In all reality I'd use dead soft lead (ie, sinkers) to slug the bore. You should measure the diameter with a micrometer and NOT a caliper as the micrometer will be more accurate. That is to say that a micrometer will measure to the nearest 10 thousandth of an inch and the caliper will only do it to the nearest 1 thousandth. After you determine the bore size, you'll probably find that most any mould will do whether it be a Lee, RCBS or Lyman or another brand. You then need to get a sizing die that would be 1/1000th over bore diameter. Hope this helps. BC

454PB
11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Sure, you can cast your own "slugs" from pure lead or a soft alloy. Generally, SOWW work just fine. I've slugged handguns using COWW alloy, but it takes a bit more force, and I don't think I'd try it in a rifle barrel.

I've used precision measuring devices for years and can usually measure with a vernier or dial caliper within .0005", but a micrometer is more accurate.