PDA

View Full Version : Video of my Freedom Arms .454

Dennis Eugene
11-18-2012, 11:18 AM
just trying this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6BfUeeBhA&feature=g-upl Dennis

44man
11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? OK, just target shooting but what if you dropped the gun?
Sorry, I have to stay with safety first.

Dennis Eugene
11-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Your correct it is unsafe to carry an old lock work single action loaded under hammer,your also correct that I'm target shooting. I also ride in automobiles while there are other autos on the road,and I also,gasp, travel in airplanes time to time. In fact now that you mention it why would anyone even pull the trigger on any loaded fire arm knowing full well that it will set off a controlled explosion that could possibly go wrong anytime at all. I guess I'll take a few chances in my life and maybe step back from the keyboard once in a while and just get out and live, or die while living. If I worried about being 100% completely safe how exactly would that work anyway? Dennis

bearcove
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Gee I thought the FA 83 was a transfer bar gun like a NM blackhawk????

bearcove
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Thought about this for a bit and it dawned on me I have done a WHOLE bunch of crazy, potentially fatal things in my life. But in 35 years of using an old model Ruger Blackhawk the one thing I haven't done is drop it.

Safety is one thing, Stupidity is a nother.

white eagle
11-18-2012, 09:25 PM
ol 44 just has a thing for Freedom Arms is all
why not take chances ??? I was told there are only two things in life for certain ;)

bearcove
11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
You gonna get older or die?

CLAYPOOL
11-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Ship to me...I will take my chances and make payments for that one..I have a Taurus 5" and it is growing on me to carry around and not worry about any thing..People - dogs - crack heads either...

snowwolfe
11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? OK, just target shooting but what if you dropped the gun?
Sorry, I have to stay with safety first.

No different than walking around with a round in the chamber with a safety on (which I never do). The only safety that works is our brain. Never understood the BS about not carrying a round under the hammer. Who is to say you don't slide against a bush and have the hammer cock then the next bush can release the trigger?

Safety is in our minds. Nothing else matters.

Blackhawk Convertable
11-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Hey Dennis, Cool video. I especially like the flame coming out the barrel on a few of the shots...

Terence

warf73
11-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? .

Your telling me a $1500+ pistol that is factory made to hold 5 rounds can only safley use 4?

cbrick
11-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? OK, just target shooting but what if you dropped the gun? Sorry, I have to stay with safety first.

Gee I thought the FA 83 was a transfer bar gun like a NM blackhawk????

ol 44 just has a thing for Freedom Arms is all

Yes, the FA is a transfer bar safety revolver. The only way to drop the gun and have it fire is to also at the same time the hammer is struck is for the trigger to be pulled dropping the transfer bar allowing the firing pin to be struck.

Yes, Mr. 44man never misses an opportunity to get in a dig on FA. :veryconfu

Rick

44man
11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, the FA is a transfer bar safety revolver. The only way to drop the gun and have it fire is to also at the same time the hammer is struck is for the trigger to be pulled dropping the transfer bar allowing the firing pin to be struck.

Yes, Mr. 44man never misses an opportunity to get in a dig on FA. :veryconfu

Rick
I have long been over the "dig stuff." However I have seen both the transfer bar and hammer blocks fail on them. Now please read all instruction manuals for Freedoms, all say no round under the hammer.
But I am guilty too and when target shooting with 3 screw Rugers I stuffed 6 shots in the guns. But never for carry. Darn I did the same with Colts too.
If you shoot IHMSA, you NEED five rounds.
If you read the instructions for Freedom you see they do not trust their systems and I have seen worn parts.
The 83 and 97 use different systems and I have seen hammer blocks not rise and also pushed the hammer forward on 97's to see the pin go out with no trigger pull. I have hand made parts that cured the problems.
I have a picture taken from Freedom's catalog showing for both guns but have not figured out how to get the picture here.

bearcove
11-20-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't know , but mine is built like a bank vault. I trust it more than any other machine I have touched.

Rod

cbrick
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
According to 44man all automobiles should be parked immediately and the keys thrown away. It's the only safe thing to do, there have been mechanical failures in the past and the things simply aren't safe to operate. Knives are a huge no-no, people have already been cut so how safe could they be?

Or is it only FA that could possibly, no matter how remote the chance have a mechanical problem?

I have long been over the "dig stuff."

Doesn't appear that is so.

Rick

44man
11-20-2012, 01:32 PM
54202 I believe some can fail but not all because I have seen it Rick.
It was a strange thing to see the pins come out just by pushing the hammers.
I was confused as to why the instructions stated what they do myself until I worked on many of the guns.
Those few I found sure should never be dropped.

44man
11-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Not a dig Rick. More of a safety issue.
I can only advise to check your guns, they might be fine but there is always a "what if."
I can't ignore safety.

bigboredad
11-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I bet he never walks in front of a running car that is just in park with the e brake on I've seen them fail to. i knew it was a matter of time before he started some bs on here:popcorn:

bearcove
11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I think maybe we should all give up our guns because they are unsafe. People have been killed!

dave_g
11-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Nice video. I also liked the one you did on the 44 Blackhawk.

44man
11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
I know I get under your skin, sorry but you are important to me.
The 3 screw Ruger was a 5 shooter, the Colt also and the Freedom is a 4 shooter.
Look at the instructions again.
They baffle me because they say to put the hammer in the safety notch.
Would any of you load a full gun and use the safety notch? Why put a hammer in the safety notch if the chamber is empty?
Tests done has shown a dropped revolver hits on the hammer most of the time and the safety notch breaks. It is as far from a safety as you can get.
I am going to agree with Freedom instructions no matter how much you question me.
Dig me all you want to but things are in your hands to follow instructions. There must be a reason for them.

cbrick
11-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I am going to agree with Freedom instructions no matter how much you question me.
Dig me all you want to but things are in your hands to follow instructions. There must be a reason for them.

Yep, there is. The reason is called . . . Ambulance chasers.

Freedom got sued a few years back because a moron trying to quick draw stuck a loaded, cocked FA into his holster and blew a hole in his leg. First thing the guy did was get himself an ambulance chaser and sue FA.

The warnings of placing the hammer of a single action revolver over an empty chamber dates much further back in history than FA has been around.

Rick

44man
11-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Yep, there is. The reason is called . . . Ambulance chasers.

Freedom got sued a few years back because a moron trying to quick draw stuck a loaded, cocked FA into his holster and blew a hole in his leg. First thing the guy did was get himself an ambulance chaser and sue FA.

The warnings of placing the hammer of a single action revolver over an empty chamber dates much further back in history than FA has been around.

Rick
The guy screwed up. His fault but there are lawyers. Then not a single person knows what happened, just opinions. He could have had an empty under the hammer, snagged the hammer and rotated to a live chamber without reaching full cock and the safety notch broke. I will not profess to know the facts.
He was NOT quick drawing, he was taking his drover off and caught the hammer.
It hurt Freedom. I do not want to do that but problems have been found that would make me listen to their instructions.
An empty under the hammer is no relief if the hammer comes back to get a live round under the hammer with no transfer bar or hammer block at work. I seen them fail. A safe gun NEEDS trigger pull. Any gun that can fire without a trigger pull can kill you.

44MAG#1
11-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Thsi is a thread I think needs to be stopped.
As I have stated to 44man in pm's before this is a hot spot for shyster lawyers to come to to see what is being to be discussed and cussed about guns.
It would take an idiot to get on here and make a case as to how dangerous any gun is.
As with automobiles, chainsaws, electricity, construction work, factory work, farm work, and even just chores in home there is a certain risk.
Ever see a person let the hammer down on a ruger with the transfer bar hold the trigger all the way back while lowering the hammer>
what would happen if their thumb would slip off the hammer while it is still back before they started to lower the hammer?
Lets get off this subject while we still have our guns.
We know who got elected again and we don't need a thread like this.
If someone doesn't want to read their instructions so be it these threads won't make them.
It Is THE OWNERS RESPONSIBILIY to be safe and this thread and ones like it are not going to help.
Lets quit adding fuel to the fire.
Any responses to 44 man is just going to keep him going and that leads to nowhere.
Please let this drop.

JesterGrin_1
11-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Good Video

But I have to say I do not understand the animosity towards 44 Man since all he is doing is pointing out that safety should be taken seriously and that if a company tells people to do something for safety of there product do you not think it would be wise to do so?

dk17hmr
11-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I like the fire ball!

Do you carry that for bear protection? I have a Ruger 7.5" 454 that I have thought about cutting down because that long barrel is a pain to draw from a holster compared to my 4" 357 mag.

Dennis Eugene
11-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks to all of you guys for the compliments on my amateurishly made video. I'm wondering if maybe my shutter speed? is so slow that I only occasionally catch the fire ball instead of seeing it on every shot? To tell you the truth Doug I more often than not carry my 3 screw Ruger BH in .45 loaded hot as it has the 4 5/8Th's barrel and is only half the weight. And Jestergrin, after many years of reading 44mans posts, my goodness 13000 plus how does he find time for anything else, I've learned to read between the lines. And I honestly believe that safety is not his first concern but his dislike of FA's is. Why I can't say but I do honestly believe that. And instead of either keeping quite or complementing my video he chooses to once again try and belittle The FA revolver hijacking my thread in the meantime. And That's what I think of that. Dennis

44man
11-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Maybe so. It is safety that bothers me most. I go so far but will never, ever stop about safety.
Your point is valid when I cock my Ruger or BFR and not get a shot at a deer. I have to let the hammer down with care but I know that and the gun is pointed safe.
Mechanical failures are different. I have to draw a line between what you expect and what you know and how you treat safety.
You can hate me or call me names. It is OK until you understand I am concerned.
I am not against Freedom but you need to follow what they say.

44man
11-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all of you guys for the compliments on my amateurishly made video. I'm wondering if maybe my shutter speed? is so slow that I only occasionally catch the fire ball instead of seeing it on every shot? To tell you the truth Doug I more often than not carry my 3 screw Ruger BH in .45 loaded hot as it has the 4 5/8Th's barrel and is only half the weight. And Jestergrin, after many years of reading 44mans posts, my goodness 13000 plus how does he find time for anything else, I've learned to read between the lines. And I honestly believe that safety is not his first concern but his dislike of FA's is. Why I can't say but I do honestly believe that. And instead of either keeping quite or complementing my video he chooses to once again try and belittle The FA revolver hijacking my thread in the meantime. And That's what I think of that. Dennis
Not so. I love the Freedom guns but i also know them and failings. To keep all safe is my primary thing. Yes they are strong and can take pressure but so can the Ruger and BFR. Same steel.
It is the very complicated internal parts and no regard to wear the Freedom has. The Ruger and BFR has many different steels and tempers for every part. It is true, parts must be made from more then one metal.

waksupi
11-22-2012, 05:51 PM
They are guns. The damned things are SUPPOSED to be dangerous!

dk17hmr
11-22-2012, 06:12 PM
................. To tell you the truth Doug I more often than not carry my 3 screw Ruger BH in .45 loaded hot as it has the 4 5/8Th's barrel and is only half the weight. ................ Dennis

I have thought about getting a 4 5/8" 45lc and hot loading it for when I am out and about. I wish I could afford a Freedom Arms 454 with a short barrel because I wouldnt consider the Ruger. Some day Im going to drive over to the shop (just down the road really) and throw a wad of cash on the counter and tell them exactly what I want. Probably will carry it with all the cylinders full also :)

snowwolfe
11-22-2012, 06:43 PM
I wished they never even made a safety for any weapon. The only safety is the one between your ear's. Mechanical safeties only give a false sense of security.

GL49
11-23-2012, 02:43 AM
First time I have ever seen anyone flick the fired cases out with their right hand and catch them in the same hand. Most of mine would end up on the ground. I had to watch the video twice to be sure of what I saw.

44man
11-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Not to the user. Chainsaws, axes, knives, table saws, even a screwdriver is more dangerous then a gun. All the machines we use and places we work will kill you FAST but a gun is very low on the list. The gun might be the safest tool ever made but the stigma applied to them is what does damage. Just have one fail and the world stops for a second.
I want you to look at your gun and don't do what you are not supposed to do with it.
Remember the .500 S&W guns that doubled and the company blamed user failures.

bigboredad
11-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Pretty funny that mr. safety wants everyone to know how dangerous the FA's are and will go so far as to print the owners manual. well mr. safety tell us all how much the BFR is when you yourself say I cocked the hammer and was on the move. Wow that is super safe no one has ever tripped while on the move and the bfr would never go off if it was dropped with the hammer fully cocked. Once again your bs shines thru in your own words and you are the one that makes you look like a total dumb a** not any one else. I'd really like you to explain how cocking a gun and going on the move is safer than loading 5 in a FA. Fpr everyone else check out mr. safties thread on hanging deer before he goes and edits that part out. Go have anot5her one of your home brewed beers and let the guys enjoy this forum and their own guns as they wish. If you are so concerned about safety police your self before you police everyone else. Once again you have proved in your own words what a hypocrite you really are

44man
11-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Pretty funny that mr. safety wants everyone to know how dangerous the FA's are and will go so far as to print the owners manual. well mr. safety tell us all how much the BFR is when you yourself say I cocked the hammer and was on the move. Wow that is super safe no one has ever tripped while on the move and the bfr would never go off if it was dropped with the hammer fully cocked. Once again your bs shines thru in your own words and you are the one that makes you look like a total dumb a** not any one else. I'd really like you to explain how cocking a gun and going on the move is safer than loading 5 in a FA. Fpr everyone else check out mr. safties thread on hanging deer before he goes and edits that part out. Go have anot5her one of your home brewed beers and let the guys enjoy this forum and their own guns as they wish. If you are so concerned about safety police your self before you police everyone else. Once again you have proved in your own words what a hypocrite you really are
I don't know what your saying? I cock the hammer with deer on the move, not me. If I don't get a shot, I lower the hammer safely. I don't know where you read I cock guns on the move.
You can drop a Ruger or BFR on the hammer and it will not fire if the hammer falls because you must pull the trigger to raise the transfer bar.
I can't get angry with you, you do not know the guns. You also do not read what I say. You seem to think I run through the woods cocking my guns, get real, at my age I can hardly walk to a stand.
I do not even turn the red dot on until I see a deer and then I do not cock the gun until I am sure of a shot. If no shot, the hammer is lowered.
I just do not know what you are reading. You are out of context. You can beat a Ruger or BFR hammer with a hammer and it will not fire but a failed system on some guns will.
I also explained why the S&W .500 doubles and how the 29 can have the cylinder unlock and go backwards. Are you going to tell everyone that it is a double trigger pull?
Make your own test. Cock a Ruger or BFR and throw it around. It will never fire unless you pull the trigger. Throw your own guns, I care too much for mine.

cbrick
11-23-2012, 04:17 PM
I love the Freedom guns

54347 54347

Rick

44man
11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
54347 54347

Rick
I really do, but I know them and limitations. So many sold at a huge loss and a bankrupt company.
Like DW and a fine gun that went to pot. Came back with a bad rep. That keeps buyers away.

cbrick
11-23-2012, 06:45 PM
44man, the only thing you love about Freedom Arms, their guns, the company, the people that run/own the company and the people that work there is the next opportunity to bash them. As long as I've been a member of this forum you have been on a personal vendetta against them.

Now you say . . .

I love the Freedom guns

Sure does get old after awhile . . .

Rick

bearcove
11-23-2012, 09:21 PM
OH My, Must admit NEVER hearing positive comment about a FA gun from said party.LOL!

I'm just a casual shooter tho. I have shot a water bottle at 50-75 feet. Never shot one at 100yards for sure. For sure not with a pistol. I'm a bow hunter and have shot a few deer with a bow but not a few a year.

So I'll defer to the internet experts to sort this out. LOL!

waksupi
11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Whatever goes on with other forums, leave it there. If you drag it here, we will see to it you spend more time at that other forum, as you won't be here.

44man
11-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Whatever goes on with other forums, leave it there. If you drag it here, we will see to it you spend more time at that other forum, as you won't be here.
I agree. I just point out things I have found no matter the brand. I do get hate if I say Freedom but I have repaired the few so they CAN be fully loaded, the rest are fine. I really wish I could afford the workmanship. I get to shoot a lot of them and work on them.
I see Ruger bashing and Lee bashing and S&W failures as well as many other guns I worked on.
I have a SRH here right now that fails to fire now and then, not a mark on the primer. I am not anti Ruger, or anti anything, just facts.
I am going to go nuts with this SRH, it is all factory with no changes. Seems the trigger spring needs replaced because the transfer bar is dropping. That means trigger kick. I will shoot and test it but I do not bash Ruger.
I do not bash Freedom either, shot too many good ones and I can fix a S&W that unlocks the cylinder or doubles like the .500 is prone to.
Guys do not understand that I tell things from concern and you need to understand your own gun. One single instance of a problem with any gun just has to be be told and I refuse to stop giving a warning.
Does anyone know why a Rem shotgun fails to feed after one shot? I never bash Rem but know the problem. Not good with a slug gun in bear country. Can I save your life? I sure hope so. Put a Wolff magazine spring in the gun and LIVE.
All of you need to understand it is only a comment about Freedom that gets me in trouble because you don't realize it is a gun. I have never found a single brand that does not have a problem with a gun or so, NOT ALL of them do but it only takes one.
I just had a Rem 788 here. Primers were dead flat and cases needed trimmed a lot. I checked head space to find it was way over. Found out the owner was FL sizing so I told him to stop, neck size and stay away from the shoulders. He will get head separation. I got the gun to 1/2" and 3/4" at 100 with no trimming needed and no flat primers. Bad gun, too much head space but still a good rifle.
Why do Freedom owners hate me?

cbrick
11-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Why do Freedom owners hate me?

Crappy Freedom Arms?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself and Dennis up here have had more than several "monday" freedom arms, lemons if ya will!

A few years back I had an ongoing disagreement with Bob Baker of FA on more than several boards and fired up the local FA rep at the local FA dealer when I showed with with 7 or 8 examples of screwed up $2000.00 guns for all to see!

Short version IMO is that when the perfect gun compay FA was handed over to the spoiled rich kid/son, quality took a serious dive.

This revolver is beautiful but is the most disappointing gun I ever shot. No revolver I have ever shot would throw bullets off the paper like this one does. I have always said a Ruger or BFR will outshoot a Freedom. Is this just more proof? Is it a $1400 anchor?

I have posted before about the poor groups we get. Guys, this is a $2000 gun! So much for saying they are built better then a Ruger.

I did a quick search, here are only a few examples, there are many, many more. Seems many more may have been deleted or I should have used different search criteria but there has been no end to them.

I don't hate you 44man, in fact I respect your experience & knowledge. I look forward to your posts regarding revolver shooting, loading, casting & hunting. You are a valuable member of this forum.

The truth is that you have bashed FA, the company, the guns, owners & even employees so consitently for so many years you have no credibility regarding FA. As soon as you post concerning FA everyone that's read your posts over time can see the vendetta you have and see it very clearly. I wish you could see it and instead of bashing FA stick with what you do so well.

Rick

Gibson
11-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Indeed. A lot of bashing goes on here, both consistently and inappropriately.

44man is, unequivocally, correct about that.

I appreciate his observations w/o reservation. I have never owned a FA. I see sycophants, on both sides concerning FA and others. I will pass comment on them over in silence as I have no empirical observation. For me, I am satisfied with my BFR. If I buy anything more expensive it will be sending a Ruger .357 Max to John Linebaugh. However, that is NO reflection on FA. If I had owned one then I would feel somewhat more qualified to venture an opinion.

Personally, I have no desire to own a .454 Casull, and do not care what company manufactures it. So what? Who cares? That is just me. Sure looked like the fellow in the video enjoyed his. Good on him! In life we all get a helluva lot of pain, it's good to see a man enjoy his handgun!

Dennis Eugene:

Nice clip! It looks like you were REALLY ENJOYING yourself! That is EXACTLY what this hobby is about, for me. Thank you for sharing.

Now, I'm going outside and do some blasting myself. A good chew and and a fine handgun pleases me as well ;)

MakeMineA10mm
11-24-2012, 06:57 PM
just trying this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6BfUeeBhA&feature=g-upl Dennis

Holy smokes Dennis! Nice job catching the brass as it bounces off your coat as your kicking out the empties with the ejector! That's some talent and coordination!! ;)

44man
11-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I did a quick search, here are only a few examples, there are many, many more. Seems many more may have been deleted or I should have used different search criteria but there has been no end to them.

I don't hate you 44man, in fact I respect your experience & knowledge. I look forward to your posts regarding revolver shooting, loading, casting & hunting. You are a valuable member of this forum.

The truth is that you have bashed FA, the company, the guns, owners & even employees so consitently for so many years you have no credibility regarding FA. As soon as you post concerning FA everyone that's read your posts over time can see the vendetta you have and see it very clearly. I wish you could see it and instead of bashing FA stick with what you do so well.

Rick
I will try but all of what you posted as my comments are not mine. I know no Dennis. I have never dealt with a FA rep. Too much has been infiltrated. I have never said CRAPPY FREEDOM ARMS. Not once, never. I have never dealt with Bob Baker on a board, only with customer's phone calls and never my own calls. I never, ever spoke to the man. He accused me without ever speaking to me. I was accused of shooting a jacketed over lead and ruining the barrel. I was accused of slugging the barrel and leaving lead so a bullet ruined the barrel.
How can you pull up things I never said?
I can go word for word what I said. Cylinders are too short for long, heavy boolits. Boolit pull can tie the gun up. Transfer bars or hammer blocks have parts that wear and can fail. Follow what Freedom says and do not load a round under the hammer. Cylinders can be too tight and you will get throat and forcing cone wear off center.
I have stated what I found but what you pulled up is NOT my comments. I have no idea who posted them but it sure was not me.
I have stated a Ruger or BFR can out shoot a bad Freedom but the post you found is not mine. I have NEVER stated the Freedom throws boolits off paper.
There is not a single post you showed that has my words. They are just not my posts.
How does my name get on a post? How do statements get changed?
Rick, this stuff scares me, those are not my words.

bearcove
11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
I am baised also. The only one I have laid hands on is mine. (OK, taken apart shot cleaned and marveled at the fit up of the parts)It was made in 1986, 2nd year they where making guns with a serial # from FA if I am correct. Finest gun I have ever laid my hands on. Later models may be different.

IN all, other than joking about his FA distaste,44man has been a good source of info with much more depth than I can gather up from my limited experience.

And I grew up with Uncle Elmer and Skeeter.

Regards, Rod

44man
11-25-2012, 11:47 AM
I am baised also. The only one I have laid hands on is mine. (OK, taken apart shot cleaned and marveled at the fit up of the parts)It was made in 1986, 2nd year they where making guns with a serial # from FA if I am correct. Finest gun I have ever laid my hands on. Later models may be different.

IN all, other than joking about his FA distaste,44man has been a good source of info with much more depth than I can gather up from my limited experience.

And I grew up with Uncle Elmer and Skeeter.

Regards, Rod

Me too, I love Elmer and Skeeter. It is refreshing to hear.
I have only said about every gun can have a problem. I had a Mark II that hit the ground 10' in front of me. No reason, all checked fine. Ruger sent me a new gun with no explanation. The crown was perfect, barrel straight not a thing I could find or fix. Just why does a gun shoot into the ground?

TCTex
11-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Yep, A tool is a tool IMHO...

Not to the user. Chainsaws, axes, knives, table saws, even a screwdriver is more dangerous then a gun. All the machines we use and places we work will kill you FAST but a gun is very low on the list. The gun might be the safest tool ever made but the stigma applied to them is what does damage. Just have one fail and the world stops for a second. I want you to look at your gun and don't do what you are not supposed to do with it.
Remember the .500 S&W guns that doubled and the company blamed user failures.

I don't know about that, I have never been shot, but I can't count the times I have been to the hospital do to whatever because of the power saw, hammer, marry-go-round, knife, tomahawk, or... But, I think there is more to it than that.

Respect the tool and life is good. Weather it is a hammer, lawn mower, knife, or a firearm. Sometimes we lose respect or become complacent and that's when we have issues... Usually when people have problems in a shop or "where ever," it is because we let our guard down. Often it is because of something silly like, "Oh I just need to make this one little cut and "I" don't need to take all the little safety precautions."

I really liked the comment about flying and I drove to work today. They were spot on and very good parallelisms.

Look up the definition of the "use of deadly force." Texas states that it is any tool or device that could inflict bodily harm. A tool is a tool IMHO... In the hands of one who is trained to use it, any tool is dangerous.

Ok, I will get of soapbox now. I also know that no mater what or how I say some things, there are others that will never agree with me. That's fine, and it is also the reason this is a good all American free public forum. So I'm done, take care and God Bless.

Duane

PS, Great Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really want a FA 475/480. One day... LOL

I did laugh when you were talking about your primers.

44man
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Yep, A tool is a tool IMHO...

I don't know about that, I have never been shot, but I can't count the times I have been to the hospital do to whatever because of the power saw, hammer, marry-go-round, knife, tomahawk, or... But, I think there is more to it than that.

Respect the tool and life is good. Weather it is a hammer, lawn mower, knife, or a firearm. Sometimes we lose respect or become complacent and that's when we have issues... Usually when people have problems in a shop or "where ever," it is because we let our guard down. Often it is because of something silly like, "Oh I just need to make this one little cut and "I" don't need to take all the little safety precautions."

I really liked the comment about flying and I drove to work today. They were spot on and very good parallelisms.

Look up the definition of the "use of deadly force." Texas states that it is any tool or device that could inflict bodily harm. A tool is a tool IMHO... In the hands of one who is trained to use it, any tool is dangerous.

Ok, I will get of soapbox now. I also know that no mater what or how I say some things, there are others that will never agree with me. That's fine, and it is also the reason this is a good all American free public forum. So I'm done, take care and God Bless.

Duane

PS, Great Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really want a FA 475/480. One day... LOL

I did laugh when you were talking about your primers.
That is wisdom and what I say.
No LOL over a Freedom .475, I have shot several and was down to 1/2" at 50 yards with the right boolits and open sights. The problem is some of my boolits did not fit but those that did shot great.
Then shooting the .454 with factory cast loads had boolits pull and lock the guns but my hand loads never did. The factory loads even locked a Ruger .454. I warn about bear country and a locked gun. Load right with case tension and just enough crimp solved it big time. The way over crimped factory stuff would provide a bear meal.
I see problems and suggest but is your tool. I am taken wrong all the time for some reason. You do not use a tack hammer to drive a 20 penny nail or use a sledge for a carpet tack.
I am sorry and will never back down. Follow instructions, they are in large letters and mostly RED in your book.
Do some hold a board with your hand as you feed a jointer? Do you ignore anti kickback tools on your table saw? Do you stick your fingers in the path of a radial saw?
I generate hate from just a very few that think I am being personal against them. There might be one or two that think they are too smart, pains me. I do not want to pray for more.
I find, I see, I experience, I report---END OF STORY.

TCTex
11-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Mr. Dennis Eugene, do you have any more videos of your wonderful FA you can put up?

What is your go too load?

Have you used your LBT bullets on any game yet?

TCTex
11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Mr. Dennis, I apologize for your thread getting so off track. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your post and thank you for going out of your way to share!!

44, I said I am done. Please respect the fact that there is more than one way to "skin a cat." Saying your peace and letting it lie doesn't mean you are backing off/down. It means that you are respecting others and not being a bully.

Ps, Have you said one positive thing about this thread in the 15 post you have put in it?

Pss, If I took you out of context I apologize. Your grammar, particularly in the last post, makes it hard to follow your train of thought.
Eg, "That is wisdom and what I say."

Duane

waksupi
11-27-2012, 12:58 AM

Sometimes I feel like I'm repeating myself. I don't like repeating myself.

TCTex
11-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Sir yes sir

TCTex
11-27-2012, 08:55 AM
This is the reason I made the comment I did on the "small rifle primers."

The small primer bushing is clearly viable on the 2nd from left shell. The headstamp is for
North American Arms....

This picture and comment are from a friend of mine from Jersey. James has taken a plethora of game with his FA 454.

I was wondering if you used the small rifle primers because they were the most accurate, or maybe because you had a stockpile of them?

Duane

44man
11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Mr. Dennis, I apologize for your thread getting so off track. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed your post and thank you for going out of your way to share!!

44, I said I am done. Please respect the fact that there is more than one way to "skin a cat." Saying your peace and letting it lie doesn't mean you are backing off/down. It means that you are respecting others and not being a bully.

Ps, Have you said one positive thing about this thread in the 15 post you have put in it?

Pss, If I took you out of context I apologize. Your grammar, particularly in the last post, makes it hard to follow your train of thought.
Eg, "That is wisdom and what I say."

Duane
It just means you show good wisdom and we agree with a few points.
Waksupi is right too, lets leave it go.
I do have great concern to have Cbrick find stuff I never said, how does 44man says get there?
I see it, the original post is not mine.

bigboredad
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
it's sad that I guy goes to the trouble to share something he enoys and enjoys doing only to be cut down. Nice video nice gun nice job I'm just glad you can see thru all the BS. I too would enjoy seeing more videos especially. Using all 5 cylinders and I like the way you kick the cases out that was way cool.

Gibson
11-27-2012, 07:54 PM
it's sad that I guy goes to the trouble to share something he enoys and enjoys doing only to be cut down. Nice video nice gun nice job I'm just glad you can see thru all the BS. I too would enjoy seeing more videos especially. Using all 5 cylinders and I like the way you kick the cases out that was way cool.

I agree.

It unnerves me.

Looked like to me the guy was enjoying himself. What else do we have? We spend a short time here and then go. We then either meet our Maker or just become recyclable material. (I have hope and faith for the former) But life here is too short to bitch and moan. God knows I have spent enough time doing both.

This "other forum" **** means nothing to me. I don't even know what it references. Who cares. . .

I dig ole 44man, but, like me, he has strong opinions. And you know I like you, bbd. You also have an opinion or two.

As to some of these other posts, I cannot even tell what they mean, if they actually have a meaning.

MT Chambers
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
I have owned alot of guns both good and bad, but my FA '83 in .454 Casull is tops, nothing comes close, don't need to hear from detractors...gotta go watch the video.

Tom W.
11-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Dennis, are you using the 300 gr. bullets from the RCBS mold like the ones that you sent to me some time back? Those shot SO well from my Encore, and did a fair job of accuracy in my Blackhawk.

TCTex
11-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I was wondering if that good ol 454 had taken any game yet????

Do you have any pet loads Mr. Dennis?

Duane

Dennis Eugene
11-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks Guys for all the positive comments. I have only the one video with the .454 altho I have made two other videos one with my XP100 in 6MM Rem. and the other with my Ruger 3 Screw Flattop in .44 Mag. I have not taken any game with my FA altho I have and do some,not a lot of handgun hunting. I've taken several bucks with my XP and also with my S&W 629 Preformance Center Revolver in .44Mag. I don't have any real pet loads for the .454 I really need to work with it more instead of just plinkin' with it. I have three molds two of which I use almost exclusively I prefer the LBT 452 315 LBTK shown here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52269&d=1301174733 And it is the one I shoot most often altho it is a bit long and I have to shortin my brass by about 8 thousands of an inch. Tom the RCBS 45-300-SWC is the one you prefer and my next favorite choice. I also have the Lyman mold made for the FA's pictured here it's the 454629 and is the favorite of some handgunners who are very high on my list of "Men to ride the river with" http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l497/youngmaster357/100_2300.jpg By the way nice to hear from you Tom . Once again Thanks everyone. Dennis PS Weather permitting I hope to shoot another short video this Saturday of Heavy loads in my Ruger 3 screw in .45 Colt.

tek4260
11-28-2012, 08:11 AM
I have that same LBT Keith mold, sans the GC. It has been accurate in everything I have tried it in along with several others who have tried the boolits.

TCTex
11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
N I C E!!

Thanks for shareing and those are some nice pictures!

Duane

Gibson
12-02-2012, 11:31 PM
44man, the only thing you love about Freedom Arms, their guns, the company, the people that run/own the company and the people that work there is the next opportunity to bash them. As long as I've been a member of this forum you have been on a personal vendetta against them.

Now you say . . .

Sure does get old after awhile . . .

Rick

I find this odd for someone who posted this:

Ok, I'm an *ssh*le for saying so but I just can't resist.

Isn't that one of them fine LEE pots that some here so highly recommend?

Hhmmm . . .

Sorry about your trouble but geez, no wonder I quit buying LEE casting $%^& years ago.

Rick

So 44man's "bash"(ing) is getting "old", yet you employ the lowest form of wit, sarcasm, to bash Lee products.

Either hypocritical or an *******, perhaps a hypocritical *******?

jmort
12-03-2012, 02:38 AM
I love the genius posts gratuitously bashing one of the sponsors of this site. God Bless Richard Lee and Lee Precision.
Freedom Arms is a beautiful thing. Love that .454

cbrick
12-03-2012, 08:04 AM
I find this odd for someone who posted this:

So 44man's "bash"(ing) is getting "old", yet you employ the lowest form of wit, sarcasm, to bash Lee products.

Either hypocritical or an *******, perhaps a hypocritical *******?

It no doubt makes you feel warm & fuzzy to think that so go right ahead, feel warm & fuzzy.

Rick

44man
12-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I have to come in again with trepidation to be sure.
Yes, some trash all makers from molds to everything else with no comments. It is the way and is accepted. Look at Ruger trashing and Taurus trashing.
I just list failings with ALL that I have found and have no personal feelings either way. I have had problems with all up to S&W with no real discussions until I say "FREEDOM" and wonder why it is so much different then "LEE?" Cost?
I told all of you many times that I don't care if it is Rem, WW, Ruger, Lee, Lyman, BFR, H&R, or any single gun or any other thing we use that if there is a problem, I will report.
I really try to steer away from Freedom comments any more but after seeing many bash other makers of anything, I am at a loss at the difference shown.
It is the Ford vs Chevy vs Cadillac thing where the Caddy owner spends 10X the money to keep the car running but will defend it.

snowwolfe
12-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Since this thread is so off topic to begin with I'll toss something out there. If any maker deserves to be trashed recently it is BFR for making and selling that guy his new BFR that came with a undersized barrel (.454 instead of .480). How in the world does something like this happen? It is a wonder no one was killed by that accident. Mistakes of that magnitude should never happen. In addition, they marketed and sold many 500 JRH's that were supposed to have 5.5 inch barrels but they came with 7.5 or 8.5's. I own both a BFR and a FA and been lucky with both. But for fit and finish and quality control from a production revolver the FA has no equal.

44man
12-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Since this thread is so off topic to begin with I'll toss something out there. If any maker deserves to be trashed recently it is BFR for making and selling that guy his new BFR that came with a undersized barrel (.454 instead of .480). How in the world does something like this happen? It is a wonder no one was killed by that accident. Mistakes of that magnitude should never happen. In addition, they marketed and sold many 500 JRH's that were supposed to have 5.5 inch barrels but they came with 7.5 or 8.5's. I own both a BFR and a FA and been lucky with both. But for fit and finish and quality control from a production revolver the FA has no equal.
Exactly! I just don't care who made a problem. I love the BFR's but if there is a problem I will not let them go either.

Goldstar225
12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Nice video Mr. Eugene. I also liked your video of the Ruger .45 Colt. She does snort and rip a bit don't she!