PDA

View Full Version : probably the dumbest question ever asked

Beekeeper
11-18-2012, 10:36 AM
My google foo is lousy ( I freely admit it and am not ashamed)
Does anyone make just the micrometer head for a seating die?
One that is interchangeable with all manufacturers?
Could one be used on one die and then be changed over to use on a second or third die?

Being cheap ( happens when you are on social security) was thinking of getting one and using it on all my seating dies!

beekeeper

DRNurse1
11-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Mr Beekeeper:

No question is dumb. You learn and 5 or 10 other folks think "I should have asked that years ago." I think Reading makes a micrometer seating die but it is specific to each seating die.

Question for the folks here: How would one create a common zero point on multiple seating dies for a single micrometer? Wouldn't you need a top punch device (like on our sizers) that would fit the micrometer for each boolet and some way of interchanging the die?

Doc Highwall
11-18-2012, 10:51 AM
They are brand specific because of the thread pitch that they use.
I was looking at them for my Redding dies and the even have different ones made for the shape of the bullet nose.
I would think you are SOL but that would be great if we only had to buy one.

jmorris
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Question for the folks here: How would one create a common zero point on multiple seating dies for a single micrometer? Wouldn't you need a top punch device (like on our sizers) that would fit the micrometer for each boolet and some way of interchanging the die? On Lee dies as an example the depth of the seat is adjusted by the knob on top. So you would "zero" the die itself with the micrometer knob on top and go from there.

I don't know what kind of tools you might already have but I use a homemade part that looks kind of like an upside down U and dial calipers to record and measure adjustments. All you need is an accurate way to measure from the press to the top of the die and they all can be adjusted the same.

DRNurse1
11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Mr J Morris:

My calipers have a depth gauge on the back. Next session I am going to measure the height of my dies from the tool head. Neat way to quick check if I have it set for 45ACP Ball or SWC and preset the die. Also, I can check for procession on my dies when I (rarely) do not lock it down.

What a neat group. I should have thought of that on my own but, without your advice, may have gone for years trying to work around that potential source of inconsistency. Thanks for the help.

mdi
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
As a machinist I used a depth mic. quite often. Perhaps one could be adapted or a jug made to hold one on top of a modified seater die? http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=depth%20micrometer&page=1&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Adepth%20micrometer I had two like the Mitutoyo pictured here.

garra
11-19-2012, 01:50 PM
It would seem that you would have to seperate the crimp function from the seating process to accomplish what you desiring. I just think that is not vesiable. I guess if you want to talk about the problems associated with that concept, call the folks at C&H 4 D and they will probably give you a lot of information. I too use the method of setting the die height with a veriner caliper to get it close, then I crimp a few blank cases to set the crimp and then add the bullet to set the OAL for the seat.

gg

mdi
11-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Hmmm, I never seat the bullet/crip in same operation. Much less variation, fewer problems that way. But I normally load lead bullets in handgun calibers (except my rifle ammo which I don't crimp at all)...

DRNurse1
11-23-2012, 10:35 PM
I think the Redding precision dies do this in the seating stage. Double the cost of carbide dies though.

As a machinist I used a depth mic. quite often. Perhaps one could be adapted or a jug made to hold one on top of a modified seater die? http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=depth%20micrometer&page=1&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Adepth%20micrometer I had two like the Mitutoyo pictured here.

Buzzard II
11-24-2012, 05:04 PM
1) The only dumb question is the one that is NOT asked. We need to learn something new every day or it's a wasted day.
2) Sorry I can't help you with your question/answer, but it's certainly an excellent question, and I'm interested in the answers you're getting. Good luck!
Bob

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
It's too bad they don't, could be done for those makes using the same size adjusting rod.
Not dumb, good question.