PDA

View Full Version : winchester 94ae 45 colt

blackbike
11-18-2012, 12:12 AM
A friend of mine sold me a ss vaquero 45 for $350. ( I thing I did good)
On the way out the door he said " Now I need to see if my buddy will give me $600. for my win. 94ae"
I said " what?" You didnt tell me you had a win. for sale.
Long story short, I spoke for this one at $600 after a good look at it.
Its like new with deep buling, and had an action job from a good gunsmith.
Am I in the ball park here?
Your thoughts please.
Thanks, bb

TXGunNut
11-18-2012, 12:20 AM
I'd probably give that for a Trapper, I won't take that for a 98% Trapper I presently own in 45 Colt. Recently saw one in Cabelas for $900 and it wasn't as nice as mine or the one you're describing.

veeman
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I'd say that a bit high, even for a Trapper.

WyrTwister
11-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I have a Winnie in .44 Mag . NIB . So I can not speak for how it shoots ?

My .45 LC lever gun is a Rossie . Very sweet .

God bless
Wyr

Bullet Caster
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM
I traded for my Win. 94AE in .45 Long Colt. I traded a convertible SS Ruger BH in .45 LC and .45 ACP. Wish I had that pistol back but it wouldn't do for CASS shooting. I fired one round through the Winchester and it broke. PofS. The little tit on the lever that holds the rounds in the magazine broke off and rounds spewed into the action rendering the rifle unusable. I took it apart and got a friend to try and weld it so I could dress off the weld with a file, and guess what??? It's POT METAL. Wouldn't weld. Who in the world makes a rifle out of pot metal?? What a piece of **** with **** all over it. I had to order a new part from Winchester (to the tune of 26.00 plus shipping) and the replacement part is made out of POT METAL too. What a huge, grandious, larger than life pile of $hit. I wish I could find some parts that are made out of good ole American steel. I don't shoot that huge pile of $hit too often 'cause I'm afraid that it will break again and I'll be out another $40.00!

So my advice is this. You did BAD, really bad. Save your money and get a Rossi or something made out of real steel. BC

Gunslinger1911
11-19-2012, 12:20 PM
I really like mine, fun to shoot !
Don't know about the lever problem - I got a big loop lever from Brownells, Can't remember if it was Win made or aftermarket.

fecmech
11-19-2012, 12:41 PM
The part is weldable.http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/fecmech/DSCN0936-1-1.jpg

Bullet Caster
11-19-2012, 05:59 PM
What do you use to weld pot metal? It wouldn't take a weld on my Win 94AE. BC

pietro
11-19-2012, 07:40 PM
What do you use to weld pot metal? It wouldn't take a weld on my Win 94AE. BC

As I replied in another thread here:

"It's not made of "pot metal".

It's made from a process termed "sintering", aka: "sintered steel" - IDK why welding didn't work (but peening/swadging the stop finger a bit longer does)."

Bullet Caster
11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Well, I wish I hadn't thrown it away. I coulda have sent it to ya for repair. If'n mine breaks again, I'd like to send it to ya and see if you could weld it. Thanks. Guess I won't be afraid to shoot it more now that I know it can be repaired. BC

fecmech
11-19-2012, 11:03 PM
I did not weld the part ,a friend who is a very good welder did. After he welded it up I shaped and finished the part. It's still going strong.