PDA

View Full Version : Berdan carbine stock

Caribou
11-17-2012, 11:47 PM
My first post here at Boolits.....

I have an 1876 Berdan II Carbine, that has all the metal but a replacement stock, made aloooooooooooong timma go. Its not as sturdy as the metal has been ( Very shootable) but Im looking to get it into proper military conditin with a swap of stocks......Ive shot it a few times, its a graet shooter, but the stock wont hack it, so who/where would a fellow find to get a proper stock made?

any idea tward makeing/aquireing brass/bullets/load info? 69 grns BP is about all I know......what do they make Berdan ammo from, case wize?

Any info is awsome.

I'll Make Mine
11-18-2012, 12:21 AM
Is yours a .58 or a .42? The Russians used a .42 bullet over 80 grains of black for the full load (alternate designation is 10.75x58R, which at least gives you a case length), though they had reduced loads for the carbine (they added a second lube/wad unit, reducing powder charge to about 50 grains), but there were also .58 Berdan Musket and .58 Berdan Carbine rounds, which were straight wall and likely could be made from .577 Snyder cases. The Berdan II carbine should use the Russian cartridge, which this reference (http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=5495.0) indicates can be made from .43 Spanish (which is available, at a price).

Dies? Take a chamber cast and send off for custom.

Caribou
11-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Its a .42 , IMM. Im looking at getting a stock started and hopeing someone can recomend a good stock maker.

I'll tackle the ammo as I come to understand it and know what I have to get and do. I have been reading around, I'm looking for a good supply of the base case thats used to make the finished case. Im also looking for a supply of 7.62X53r brass.

Cast Boolits all around.

L Ross
11-18-2012, 08:46 AM
I got my stock wood for a Sharps carbine from Treebone Carving. I'd start by calling them. If they cannot help you perhaps they's be able to recommend someone else.

Duke

I'll Make Mine
11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Im also looking for a supply of 7.62X53r brass.

For whatever it's worth, 7.62.53R brass is identical to 7.62x54R except for the headstamp; the difference is that factory rounds in the x53R are loaded with .308 bullets, while factory x54R have .312. Lapua is selling their brand (headstamped x53R) for $30/100 from their US website (http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/7-62-x-53r-7-62-x-54-russian/), some of the best brass around and there've been a bunch of reports of good buying experiences (but watch that your checkout describes what you thought you were getting -- one guy got bullets that came from clicking on cases of another caliber due to a website bug).

You can make .43 Spanish (and by extension .42 Berdan) from 32 gauge brass shotshells or .348 Winchester cases, or you can buy .43 Spanish cases already formed at Track of the Wolf (maybe other places as well).