PDA

View Full Version : Pink Slime?

DonMountain
11-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, today me and the boys were hard at work in the kitchen butchering up several of those deer we shot last weekend with all those 30 caliber cast boolits. We had that rusty old grinder I got out of the barn clamped to the kitchen table. And the butchering knives I got from the basement of my great grandmother's house when she died back in the last century. The boys had drug in one of those deer from the shop and used some C-clamps on the beam in the kitchen ceiling to tie the deer hind legs to. And that made a really great set up we thought for butching deer. We could just chop off a hunk of meat and throw it right in the grinder after starting up that old washing machine engine by stepping on the start pedal. That is, until my wife walked in the door. She was absolutely outraged. She claimed right off the bat that we were using at least 15% Pink Slime in the meat we were packing in the freezer bags. And she had seen a show on TV about some well known hamburger joints using Pink Slime in their hamburgers. And I didn't even know what Pink Slime was? :veryconfu

bruce drake
11-17-2012, 11:33 PM
check your grinder setup. She might have been complaining on how fine you were grinding the meat. That's all I can say as a man about what is obviously a great setup to grind out the deer meat...Women sometimes talk in code...

DGV
11-17-2012, 11:35 PM
I think the pink slime is from the meat that cant be seperated from the fatty portions using conventional methods, cutting, chopping etc. I believe they heat it up to about 150 degrees and spin it in a centrifuge. Meat and fat seperate. It is then introduced into ground beef

Mooseman
11-17-2012, 11:37 PM
It is time to call the men in white coats to come take her away...[smilie=s:

runfiverun
11-18-2012, 12:09 AM
there was a "documentary" a little bit back about the fast food chains using some kind of pink slime in thier burger.
i think it was/is a preservative like is used when making jerky [bha,bht type stuff]
or something to hold the burger together,,,,,whatever.

starmac
11-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Tell her that you are using certified organic pink slime, everything will be cool as long as she doesn't have to clean up the mess. lol

jonas302
11-18-2012, 11:52 AM
could have been the deer hanging from the kitchen ceiling that set her off(:

TXGunNut
11-18-2012, 03:04 PM
If the meat isn't cold enough the knife in the grinder may not cut it well and the auger pushes it thru the plate, could make it resemble pink slime.

x101airborne
11-18-2012, 03:29 PM
If the meat isn't cold enough the knife in the grinder may not cut it well and the auger pushes it thru the plate, could make it resemble pink slime.

I think this is it. When the knife does not cut some of the tendons and sinew it will wad up and partially block the plate. Then what is pushed out by the screw and hydraulic pressure is "pink slime". Our old grinder was infamous for that. Then we got a Hobart and worries were over.

Finarfin
11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
I got some pure certified 100% pink slime a while back and it makes the best hamburger. I think it's the ammonia, so I've been pouring some windex in with the deer meat when I'm making hamburgers. The trick with the pink slime is to cook it real good as it is about half bacteria.

alrighty
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Learn something new every day.Glad my freezer is full of venison and elk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneless_lean_beef_trimmings

phonejack
11-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Mine will start to do that when then holes in the plate start to clog.

hithard
11-20-2012, 12:13 PM
You' all have some fancy grinders. I'm using the elbow grease model I got off my greatgrandparents farm up on the highline. I gotta learn how to sharpen the dang thing though!

Finarfin
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM
You' all have some fancy grinders. I'm using the elbow grease model I got off my greatgrandparents farm up on the highline. I gotta learn how to sharpen the dang thing though!

Rig it up with a wheel and a belt and a motor, just don't chop your fingers off. That or get an electric one. I've used that kind and it is awful.

TXGunNut
11-22-2012, 12:05 AM
I think this is it. When the knife does not cut some of the tendons and sinew it will wad up and partially block the plate. Then what is pushed out by the screw and hydraulic pressure is "pink slime". Our old grinder was infamous for that. Then we got a Hobart and worries were over.

I've learned to grind meat at temps below 35 degrees but when I fail it only resembles pink slime. The pink slime that got folks upset is somewhere between "byproduct" and "waste" IMHO but powers that be disagree. That's why I make my own sausage! Besides, nobody makes better breakfast or Italian sausage than I do. Ground some chili meat for a friend recently and enjoyed that so much I'll probably grind what litlle ground beef I eat.