PDA

View Full Version : Thank You!

TXGunNut
11-17-2012, 11:19 PM
A few of you have given me hints about making my Marlin 336 shoot, I finally had a chance to test what I've been told! I took my 35 Rem 336 to the range today to test a load that showed promise on earlier trips, just couldn't get it to group. Load is a RD 359-190 (50/50 w/ a pinch of tin) over 32 grs Reloder #7 in a RP case, a Fed 210 gets the party started.
Disclaimer: I consider this a max load, I approached it with care and hope you will too.
Rifle was sighted in for J-word bullets, first two were high but tight. I corrected and fired a third shot but it went wide left. I figured I'd somehow blown that shot so I fired a fourth, it was way low and a bit right. By then I could feel a bit of heat in the barrel and thought back on some advice I've received more than once here. I let the barrel cool down completely because I knew the scope was correctly adjusted for 1.5" high @ 100 yds.
After it cooled I fired one shot and it was right where I expected it to be. Second shot was a bit puzzling. It took my spotting scope to find it in the previous hole! Eureka! The magazine tube and clamps are obviously affecting the POI but the effect isn't showing up until the third shot. Since this is a hunting rifle I'm gonna call this good and go hunting. [smilie=w:

TXGunNut
11-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I fired from sandbags, front was on the forend next to the receiver. Previously I put the bag near the barrel band. I've read about glassing the tang but fit seems to be good in that area. Will look further into that and relieving the stress from the bands and mag tube after hunting season.
Action seems to be hard to unlock, need to look into that as well.