PDA

View Full Version : General shotgun question not casting

beagle
11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Got a general shotgun question here and I can't get a definite yes/no on it. Hoping for some experienced help.

I just got a 20 guage Model 870 Magnum LW with the 2 3/4"-3" barrel. I want a shorter barrel for it.

Will the standard 870 20 guage LW barrel fit my receiver and work all right? I realize that I will have to use 2 3/4" shells in it but this is not a problem as that's what I intend to use anyway.

The Cabela's site says that all LW barrel are interchangeable.

I'm thinking it will but one of you guys that has owned one of these for a while give me a definite yes or no please./beagle

lead-1
11-21-2012, 02:12 AM
I will go out on a limb here and say it will, my reasoning on this is that my 12 ga. magnum will accept a non magnum shot barrel and shoot and cycle without a hitch.
I would check for you for sure but my 20 ga. is the older standard weight receiver that is the same receiver as the 12 ga.

beagle
11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Lead....Well, I found the answer. I finally went over several towns to a gunshop that I knew had several 20 barrels. One I thought was a 20 guage VR 2 3/4" LW barrel. Took my shotgun and that one fit....but it was a 2 3/4" or 3" chamber Mag LW VR IC. Came home and test fired and it fed and fired all right. It was what I wanted in the first place. But after researching everywhere I could find the LWs do interchange on the mag receivers (not 12 guage receivers) but will shoot only 2 3/4" shells.

Too bad Remington don't mark the barrels and be more specific than they do. Switching barrels on a 20 guage is sure a can of worms.

Guys, when you start buying 20 guage 870s and extra barrels, you better do some research or you'll be tearing your hair out.

Thanks for the post./beagle

So all's well that ends well
I will go out on a limb here and say it will, my reasoning on this is that my 12 ga. magnum will accept a non magnum shot barrel and shoot and cycle without a hitch.
I would check for you for sure but my 20 ga. is the older standard weight receiver that is the same receiver as the 12 ga.

LabGuy
11-21-2012, 11:14 AM
I have used 2 3/4" barrels on 3” Remington 1100 also.

beagle
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Remington 1100s are easier than 870s to determine. Too many variations on 870s to be clear. I'm a pump gun man./beagle