PDA

View Full Version : I love my 329PD!

coverbw
11-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I love my 329 PD! I purchased it this spring for bear protection and I can say without reservation this is my favorite revolver. I used to carry a 6” 629 but I was leaving it behind on the longer hunts/hikes. My 329 was with me every single hunt and hike this year! I will say the v-notch rear sight had to go. A Bowen rough country rear sight does wonders for this gun. They should be a factory option. I actually really liked the wood grips that come with the gun but didn’t want to beat them up. I installed a set of Hogue monogrips and life is good. Although I have small hands, an N frame with the monogrips feels like it was molded for me. I shot several different loads from 200 gr to 300 gr XTP’s just to get acquainted. The recoil with the heavier stuff is stiff, but manageable. After a few cylinders the web of my hand gets a bit puffy and tender but that’s an acceptable tradeoff for the pack-ability. I’m no crack pistol shot, but it’s easy to keep the bullets on a 5” target at 50 yard resting or freehand at 25. My two favorite loads are a 250 KT or 432640 of lyman #2 over 18 gr of 2400 for approx. 1150 fps. I have been impressed with the penetration they gave me on pine logs and feel comfortable trusting my life on the combination. I don’t believe I have to full throttle a 44 to get the performance I require. I recently went to Nebraska to hunt whitetail and harvested a small doe with my 329 at about 20 yards from a tree stand. She ran about 15 yards and expired. It was my first open sight pistol kill so I was thrilled! If anyone was on the fence about buying this model I just wanted to let them know I am completely satisfied.

Beau Cassidy
11-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I love mine. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to develop a good load for it yet. Same for its cousin the 327 which I REALLY like.

MtGun44
11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Handy gun, but for max loads I limit myself to 2 cylinders full per session and practice with
10 gr of Unique, which is not a powder puff, but pretty snappy in the 329.

Bill

lbaize3
11-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I sold my 329PD to purchase another weapon about a year ago. Rascal was fun to shoot with 44 special though. I have the 325PD in 45ACP that has a home as long as I live. That gun is a joy to shoot or carry!

x101airborne
11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
I love the 325 PD also, but I am longing for a 329 PD. I used to have a Taurus tracker 5 shot 44 mag and loved it except the porting and the fact I wore it out about 4 times. That Smith just gets me going. Dang, they expensive, no?

NoZombies
11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
I love my 325PD as well. I never have run across a 329pd for a similar price, or I'd have it for sure!

Shuz
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I also love my 329PD and feed it a diet of 429421HP's and either 18g of 2400 or 8.6g of Green Dot. I have had to send mine back to S&W twice to have the top strap shield replaced. I have mitigated the top strap shield wear by applying a light coat of J-B Weld in the "cut" formed by the powder gases. I still keep my eye on this area after every shooting session and so far it has held up. I wish I could say how many rounds have been thru it since I applied the J-B Weld, but I can't.

coverbw
11-21-2012, 10:50 PM
I shoot mine a lot more than I originally anticipated when I made the purchase. I'm glad to hear others enjoy shooting the 329 casually instead of emergency only. I have heard that 2400 is less prone to flame cutting. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not, but I find it to be a very accurate powder so I stick with it. The gun just impressed me with the performance it delivers in such a light package. I consider it a tool that is always with me, quietly waiting until I need it. I love the old Keith saying that the "sixgun is the gun of opportunity" because it's always at your side. I know the feeling...

crabo
11-22-2012, 01:54 AM
I am going to have to get one one. I have a 7 1/2 barreled S&W PC gun with an Ultradot. Great for shooting, but not much for carrying. I have long wanted a L framed 44 special, but I realized I want a 4" barrel, and they are too danged expensive to start customizing.

I'm thinking 44 special loads ought to be perfect in them.