i will be looking to get a new pistol but don't know just what i want
things i need. cast friendly good shooter able to use for C/C just a
mid size gun that i can use for personnel protection and shoot the snot
out of what would you get . i would like to keep under $600. i'm looking
at glock and S&W j frame 38 spc and the new ruger 1911 so help
38/9mm/40/45acp ?

I'll Make Mine
11-17-2012, 08:46 PM
For that kind of budget, it's tempting to suggest getting a Hi-Point -- actually, three of them, in 9 mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. That should come in under your budget (including at least one extra magazine per caliber). Lots of folks talk down the Hi-Point, but they're simple, strong, durable, and accurate, and cheap enough to buy multiples if you have the budget for a 1911 or a Glock. Magazine capacity isn't huge (all are single stack), and the guns aren't very compact (plain blowback action in .45 requires a heavy slide and strong spring), but they get the job done, and are about as concealable as a 1911.

If you really, really need something smaller, I'd look for a compact 9 mm with a short double stack magazine -- Glock makes a nice one, well out of my price range, but there are lots of accessories out there.

garym1a2
11-17-2012, 09:10 PM
You can normally find a good Glock 19 used for about $400 and send an extra hundred for an aftermarket barrel and you have a good cast shooter.
A Glock 17 or 22 is a good choice also. My favorite is the glock 21SF, it shoots very clean with lead.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-17-2012, 09:47 PM
why would i need a new barrel to shoot cast out of a Glock ?

MtGun44
11-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Ruger or Rem 1911 would be good choices.

Bill

saz
11-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Ruger or Rem 1911 would be good choices.

Bill

+1 here. 1911 would fit the bill.

wv109323
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Stock Glocks have polygonal rifling which is not real compatible with cast bullets. Also the stock Glocks have (excessive to some) unsupported barrel throats that can cause brass to swell around the base.
Some say the brass is unusable due to irreversible structural damage.

jmsj
11-17-2012, 11:08 PM
LUCKYDAWG13,
For the money it is hard to beat a Rock Island 1911, if you like 1911's (I do).
I have shot a couple and have worked on a few more. The Rock island 1911's I have worked on were not to fix them but to upgrade things on them. Things like fitting new safeties, sights or fitting a new barrel bushing.
You can get a basic 1911A1 for less than $500.00. The ones I have been around have been well made and shoot pretty good. Four years ago when I got my Taurus PT1911, a friend of mine got a Rock Island. I got a chance to shoot them one after another and the Rock Island outshot my Taurus by a good margin and cost $120.00 less.
I just got done setting up a Rock Island to shoot Bullseye hardball matches for a guy. I was also working on a Springfield at the same time and compared the two side by side. The Springfield has a better finish but function wise and correct dimension wise they were about the same.
Currently I am considering buying one of Rock Island Compacts to add to my CCW lineup.
Good luck, jmsj

williamwaco
11-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Personal opinion:

Anything but a Glock.

garym1a2
11-18-2012, 07:37 AM
plus a kkm or storm lake one is more accurate.

Stock Glocks have polygonal rifling which is not real compatible with cast bullets. Also the stock Glocks have (excessive to some) unsupported barrel throats that can cause brass to swell around the base.
Some say the brass is unusable due to irreversible structural damage.

lbaize3
11-18-2012, 10:02 AM
A Glock is a great military/police weapon that goes bang everytime you use it. Based on my experience with both guns, ie. the Glock and Springfield XD, the XD is as dependable, is more accurate, and is somewhat safer due to the grip safety.

That being said, pistols are fun, but the good ole revolver is my choice for a fun shooting gun. Easy to load for. No brass to chase. And used revolvers can be had at lower prices. In the revolver, the .45 (ACP or Colt) is my favorite, followed by the .44 (Special or Mag) and the 357 (38 spl or Mag). You can get 9mm and 40S&W revolvers from Charter Arms. And the neatest thing of all is that if you can shoot a revolver well in double action, you will be hard to beat when you pick up a pistol....

wrench
11-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm not a revolver person, so I'll let others make that argument.
For a solid, inexpensive shooter that meets all of your requirements, look for a S&W 3rd generation pistol in the caliber of your choice. Lots of them around as police trade-ins, or just in the used case at your dealer.
Rock solid, lots of choices in barrel length, double stack/single stack, and caliber.
I've had a few of these, and they've all been 100% reliable, accurate, pleasant shooters.
A 1911 is a wonderful range toy, but unless you're big, it's too big for an everyday carry pistol. Too big for me, anyway.
I love Glocks, they are my go-to carry pistols, but some folks have an issue shooting cast in them. Not going to open that can of worms, you can research and draw your own conclusions.
Good luck, let us know what you end up with:smile:

LUCKYDAWG13
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
ya im liking a wheel guns more and more would like to see one in 40 or 45acp

Kraschenbirn
11-18-2012, 12:10 PM
ya im liking a wheel guns more and more would like to see one in 40 or 45acp

S&W M1917, 1955 Target, M25, M625, etc...all .45 ACPs. S&W M610 (out of production and darn hard to find)...10mm/.40 S&W.

Bill

atr
11-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I was out at the range yesterday with a friend and he let me shoot his Taurus 38 spl C/C......I was impressed .... it was a 5 shot model (revolver), clean trigger pull, clylinder locked up nicely with no slop, comfortable in my hand, shooting 158 gr jacketed good accuracy.
I'm thinking of buying one myself...

Bullet Caster
11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
The idea of getting multiple Hi-Points sounds reasonable but as stated, most people don't like Hi-Points. I got the 9mm for CC but that comes with a tradeoff like the heavy weight of the zymack slide. Reason I chose the Hi-Point is because they're made in America and have a lifetime guarentee--if it ever breaks, send it back and they will give you another pistol or fix the one you send back. The second reason I chose the Hi-Point is cost. I don't want to carry a pistol that I'd mind getting stolen or confiscated. If either thing happens to the Hi-Point, I'm not out that much money to replace it. I do own a .45 acp 1911 but it's kinda heavy and bulky to use as a CC pistol. I'd also suggest a wheel gun of your choice of caliber. BC

Lefty SRH
11-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Other revolver considerations: GP100, SP101, S&W 686, 586....

You don't have to buy an after market barrel to shoot cast out of a Glock. ALL of my .40 caliber Glock shoot cast very well with the factory barrels. ALL get a steady diet of cast boolits with no significant leading and they are still accurate.

9.3X62AL
11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
I like the Glocks. They have worked very well for me, and I use a G-23 for concealed carry frequently. But if you want an all-purpose handgun that does more things well than any other handgun platform......NOTHING can beat a quality double-action 357 Magnum revolver with 4" barrel. Most of them can be easily concealed, they have the power to humanely harvest venison if your skill set is up to the task, and a quality platform will be more intrinsically accurate than most of its users. Ruger GP-100, S&W 19/66/586/686, and a number of others come to mind as good candidates. The user has the option of using wadcutter 38 Special target loads to full-tilt Doug Wesson/1935 loads in many of the platforms (NOT J- or K-frame Smiths).

Dannix
11-19-2012, 01:32 AM
Needing it to be both a carry gun as well as an all-around gun makes things a bit challenging since handguns are all about trade offs.
I'd take a good hard look at the SR9C and G26. An the Glock19 and Kahr's offerings too e.g. CM9 and CW9.

Personally, when researching my first handgun, I looked at every option I could find. I'm a bit counter-culture and didn't even look at Glock. I ultimately got a Glock19.

If you want easy to cast for, then you can consider going .45 Auto rather than 9mm or .40.

Awsar
11-19-2012, 02:51 AM
ya depends on needs and likes -dislikes
i like all well made firearms
favorite to cast and plink with my ruger .357 strong accurate easy to load for 38 or 357
protection my colt commander .45 or my rem 12 ga
sometimes carry a S&W 442 airweight in .38 small and light.

bobthenailer
11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I personaly really like the Kahr line up , i have the PM9 ,CW45 and TP45 all shoot cast bullets with no problems, all are reliable and accurate,light weight and a sweet DA type trigger pull .
I have many handguns that i could use for carry even a tricked out PA P12 with alloy frame , night sights, Ed Brown beavertail grip safty & ambi saftey , FL recoil guide rod , & trigger job this was my usual carry gun for 17 years but i now carry the Kahrs and have retired the PA for only occasional carry
The Kahrs in the CM or CW configuration can be had for in the $425 to $450 range in my neck of the woods, if you would like to save some money over there higher priced lines without giving up Quality!only cosmetics

Grandpas50AE
11-23-2012, 04:25 PM
I'll throw in 2 cents worth. For fun shooting I still like my S&W 24-3 Lew Horton .44 spl., but the cylinder is a bit bulky for my tastes af far as C/C goes. My carry piece is a 1911 in .45ACP, and I'm not a large person, but still find it comfortable to carry. It is also a pleasure to shoot, and I do shoot the heck out of it. Everyone will give you their own preference, and all have their perfectly good reasons for their choices. Having said that, the 1911 was designed to be a personal defense combat weapon, and it has proven itself over the last century to be very good at that - it may be the reason it is still so popular as a C/C weapon. Whatever you get, you should train with it on a regular basis, because training is the key to successful defense.

Gliden07
11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Rock Island Armory Tactical Compact .45 or what I just bought the M&P Compact it comes in 3 Calibers; 9MM (Thats what I bought), 40Caliber or 357Sig I'm gonna buy a Rock Island as soon as they become available here.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
i would like to thank all of you for your help. i looked at rugers lc9
kimber solo & kel teck ? and a Kahr mk-9 i think the Kahr is a winner
i did't put down on it yet but i see a kahr in my future

jameslovesjammie
11-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Kahr makes good guns.

If it was my money, I would go with a CZ 75 Compact for a mid size semi auto or a 4" 686 for a mid size wheelgun.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-24-2012, 09:58 PM
i have a 686 with a 6" barrel and a beretta 92 fs i need a smaller
pistol

Old Caster
11-25-2012, 10:10 PM
You might look at Bud's guns to see what he has in police trade ins. From time to time he has S&W model 10 38's for around $260 shipped.