PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Line Jr die question?

Bored1
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Recently came across an older lyman tru-line jr press and had a few questions. [smilie=b:

First one is how do you tell the dies apart? This press came to me with a bunch of dies in a small cardboard box, and I am unable to find any #'s, calibers, or any kinds of markings on the dies themselves?

They would have to be labeled somehow I figure, and if they do turn out to be anyone have a chart to explain the #'s since I am positive if I did miss them they are gonna have to be deciphered into what they actually are.

Also anyone have any good ides for a replacement handle? This press has somehow lost the original!

Any help @ all will be greatly appreciated!!!!

(I did search and read through what I could find about the press however, no specific info on how to tell the dies apart came up for me)

bb07
11-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi. Have a look here http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/310/Ideal_310_Quick_Reference.html

shotman
11-17-2012, 09:02 PM
bb is right BUT if the insides have been changed you are on your own
Its a hit and miss. When you get them figured out get a silver sharpy and wright on them

BWelch47
11-17-2012, 09:05 PM
The Tru-line Jr used the same dies as the Lyman tong tool. Perhaps this information can help you in identifying the dies.

Pavogrande
11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
"Tru-line same as 310"
Not exactly so -- an older 310 set has a decap, muzzle resizer, exp chamber & exp plug, primer die, seater die and of course the handles and handle adapter -
tru-line are usually a 2 die set marked CMR for a combination sizer/decap/expander, a seater marked DA for seat and crimp, and a "J" shellholder.
Both 310 and tru-line are neck sizers only - there are a few tru-line sizers for straight wall pistol case that do full length size.

all the sizers, seaters, prime chambers, shellholders, handle adapters, expander plugs should be marked with a number or the cartridge.
Decap dies, exp chambers are not usually marked -- exp chambers come in several lengths and an have different diameter threads for
the plug -- most are usually .395/.400 x 30tpi.
Tong tool (310) and tru-line diess can be a challenge to sort and identify -
We won't bring up the EZ-loader dies. :-)
my tuppence

Pavogrande
11-23-2012, 08:21 PM
addendum --
tru-line handle --
original handle is 7/16 dia rnd stock, 9 1/2" long -
threaded 3/8-24 x 1/2" on one end for knob --
My fix would be a chunk of 1/2" cold rolled or hot rolled turned on one end to 7/16" and threaded on the other for a knob--

44Vaquero
11-23-2012, 09:31 PM
I made a spare handle for my Tru-line jr from an old Crosman .177 cal pellet rifle barrel (exact dia fit). A length of drill rod would also work with out the need to turn and tap!

I have a picture posted in this forum under "Tru-line jr upgrade".