PDA

View Full Version : Check your muzzle brake.

bbqncigars
11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I would strongly advise anyone using a muzzle brake to give theirs a close inspection under magnification and good light before the next usage. The latest issue of Very High Power (FCSA mag) has a horrific picture and description of a brake failing. Admittedly, the big fifty puts more wear on a brake than lesser rounds, but it could happen with any others. FWIW, the brake in question appears to have failed due to a defect in the metal.

Olevern
11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Details? Pics? How did it fail?

tomme boy
11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Need a link. I use a break on my 308 all the time. I mainly shoot cast in it. So how did it fail?

kir_kenix
11-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Without there being a major defect in the brake or a jacketed bullet shedding a jacket I don't see one failing under normal use. Millions of rounds are fired at military ranges thru brakes and the only failures I've ever seen were from obstructions.
Granted, its possible for any device to fail. But a device with no moving parts, no physical contact with the projectile, and a heat capacity as high as a brake make them some of the most fail proof part of any rifle.

jaysouth
11-19-2012, 12:16 AM
The muzzle brake on my EABCO 97D leads up with cast loads but i can't see it causing any hazard. Just a pain to clean. Recently, I began spraying Scotch Guard silicone spray on it. That seems to slow down the lead buildup in the ports.l

Mooseman
11-19-2012, 01:35 AM
The Muzzle brake on my FN/FAL Congo Rifle has failed...it split between the ports where the metal is thinnest.

Notice the buldge in the second picture...that is between both sets of cracked ports.
There is no reason other than stress failure the way this brake is made.

Rich

bbqncigars
11-19-2012, 09:33 PM
Further info is that it was a brake on a McMillan TAC 50 that parted at the rearmost port due to "some form of metal fatigue." Most of the brake traveled forward into deep grass and was not recovered. No pics available on line yet, just the print version.