PDA

View Full Version : More money that hurts.

44man
11-17-2012, 02:11 PM
My little dog had a problem going pot. She kept trying and sat on the ground. I took her down and washed her to find an anal gland swollen the size of a walnut. Scared me bad. I got her in to docs and they drained and flushed it. Cleaned her teeth and cut her nails. A little over $200.
Nothing is more important then my little girl even if I need to go into debt.
The poor thing has been in some pain but is improving.

1Shirt
11-17-2012, 03:05 PM
44Man, Hope all is well with the little dog. I share your feelings. My dogs have always been a part of the family. Only difference, is that my dogs never talked back to me, and were always happy to see me. Wish I could make the same statement about the rest of the family all the time!
1Shirt!

ShooterAZ
11-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Sorry to hear that 44man. Antibiotics will take care of it. I had a Black Lab that would get that affliction once in a while, usually after swimming in stagnant stock ponds. I couldn't keep him out of the water, so I just always hoped that when he did it, it wouldn't happen again.

Hamish
11-17-2012, 04:26 PM
(ahem) Not fun, but this gland is something that can be done at home. It's not real pleasant for either of you, but, the good with the bad,,,,,.;)

waksupi
11-17-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Cr1MQaGHc

Do it at home. Hopefully your dog is as calm as this one!

Goatwhiskers
11-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah, dogs are better. You leave the house, come back in 5 minutes 'cause you forgot something. Your dog is tickled to see you, acts as tho you've been gone a week. Your wife looks at you and says "darn, you back already?". GW

Olevern
11-17-2012, 06:04 PM
My little dog had a problem going pot. She kept trying and sat on the ground. I took her down and washed her to find an anal gland swollen the size of a walnut. Scared me bad. I got her in to docs and they drained and flushed it. Cleaned her teeth and cut her nails. A little over $200.
Nothing is more important then my little girl even if I need to go into debt.
The poor thing has been in some pain but is improving.

My wife's little dog has this problem every six months or so. I watched the vet express the anal glands the first time (paid for the education) then have done it when needed myself.

Pair o gloves, little bit o vasoline, happy dog.

Beats having to pay big money each time.

Probably not for the timid, but when you have had your hands in animals body cavities many times over the years, not so much a big deal.

runfiverun
11-17-2012, 09:00 PM
a lot of the grooming places do it as part of the wash and haircut thing.
lot's cheaper than the vet, and the dog likes going to the salon a lot more.

44man
11-18-2012, 09:01 AM
This one was plugged good and the vet had to cut it. He has expressed them before but this one popped up overnight.
She did not take kindly to it at all.

hiram1
11-18-2012, 09:46 PM
She did not take kindly to it at all.

nor would i im sure.i hope she never has one ever.There some of the best friends i have my dogs.

bearcove
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
One thing you can do is feed the dog good meat with some rice added. That problem can be indicitive of toxin build up from processed foods.

I cook chickens debone chop it all up add some rice cooked in the broth. Allways get compliments on how healthy dogs look and how well groomed.

Don't groom them at all, there just healthy

Its cheaper than dog food. WAY cheaper, and better then premium dog food.