PDA

View Full Version : What hulls to use for 00 and 0000 Buck?

Just Duke
11-17-2012, 12:55 PM
What once fired reloadable shot shells are available and compatible with buck shot loads these days? Where would I acquire the once fired hull also.
The last time I loaded shotshells was 1977 on a Mec Grabber with Blue Magic Hulls and the green ribbed Remington hulls. I finally ran out and the Mec has disappeared somehow and will need to be replace. Right now I have what's left of the Buck Shot loaner mould and 60 pounds of odd ball lead I was saving and didn't know why.
TIA,
Duke

ovendoctor
11-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Remington premier,STS,WW-AA, are my main stay's
ya need a care package to get back on your feet?

Doc.

Just Duke
11-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Remington premier,STS,WW-AA, are my main stay's
ya need a care package to get back on your feet?

Doc.

That would be great. :bigsmyl2:

Just Duke
11-18-2012, 11:25 AM
This is the first time I have seen the Remington STS hulls. Pretty much look like Blue Magic low base brass but I'm really liking the green color.
:bigsmyl2:

Just Duke
11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I found this over at Cascity. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40123.0.html

Like Lucky said, they are the Remington Hulls.* Technically the STS are the "Green" Hulls and Nitro 27 Hulls are "Gold".

http://www.gamaliel.com/images/Rem_STS_Hulls_L.jpg

http://www.gamaliel.com/images/HUSTSGold_L.jpg

Except for color they load and perform the same.* I like the Gold because the look good on the shell belt. ::)

For those who don't know the internal differences between the Remington and current Winchester AA hulls here it is:

A pair worn Remington hulls after a few reloads (smokeless only).* STS on left, Nitro 27 on right (note they are the same construction)
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Mako_CAS/Odds%20and%20Ends/Rem_Hulls.jpg

The new Winchester AA hulls in both red and black.* While they are not the true Reifenhauser style as I said in an earlier post, they are now a 2 piece design.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Mako_CAS/Odds%20and%20Ends/AA_Hulls.jpg

I'm not bad mouthing the Winchester design, they just aren't the "one-piece" compression formed hulls that the Win AA made it's reputation on.* The new design which is protected by patent is not the sometimes problematic Reifenhauser design it is a two stage compression formed and fused hull.* Internally the new Winchester hulls are more or less identical to the old one piece hulls.* The disadvantage for us as BP shooters is that there is apparently a change to the polymer alloy that allows the two pieces to fuse together under heat and pressure.* That same trait makes them burn and melt more easily under the increased heat from BP.

With the ubiquity of AA hulls and the fact you can pick them up everywhere, you could use them once and throw them away.* Even so, I still think the Remington hulls shuck better even after the first reload with BP.* Maybe someone will do some controlled friction tests between the two, but it needs to be done as soon as the gun is fired and allowing them to slide out at some controlled angle.

Regards,
Mako

Fla9-40
11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I order from an old codger in Florida, Here is his site:
https://sites.google.com/site/papcharlieshulls/

Nice man to deal with and ships FAST!

Here is him shooting some skeet :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFyaL67TiEg

ovendoctor
11-18-2012, 08:05 PM
That would be great. :bigsmyl2:

what is your preference
I do have the old style AA Winchester
and premier[I think]ill look tomorrow

just checked and the sts, premier are missing in action
probably still down state
have a lot of the old style AA and black ribbed RP low brass unibody's
let me know by Pm if interested

Doc.

Just Duke
11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks OD. Looks like I'm going to go with the Remington STS hulls. I'm going to try and find a couple thousand.

ovendoctor
11-19-2012, 01:37 PM
ok no problem

Doc.

Fla9-40
11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
What wads work well in the STS and Gun Club with 000 buck?
I tried the Clay Busters 1100 and the hull will not load in the chamber(using 6 - 000 BS) Well it will chamber but to tight for me to chance it.

Mooseman
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Try the Remington Power piston wads, they are shorter, also a white AA wad may work.

Fla9-40
11-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Try the Remington Power piston wads, they are shorter, also a white AA wad may work.

Thanks I will see what I can come up with!

Just Duke
11-22-2012, 12:33 AM

Thanks Mooseman. Is there enough room in the wad for the buckshot to stack correctly?

http://www.remington.com/en/products/ammunition/components/shotshell-components/shotshell-wads.aspx
Would these work better than Fiber wads and a teflon wrap? http://www.circlefly.com/html/products.html

Just Duke
11-22-2012, 12:55 AM
A duplication of REMINGTON REDUCED RECOIL load would work. What size shot cup would be require?
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/en/Ammunition/Shotgun/BUCKSHOT.aspx

LAW ENFORCEMENT BUCKSHOT
Remington Law Enforcement Buckshot is available in standard and Magnum loadings, and provides the reliability, consistency, and stopping power you need when a shotgun comes out of the rack. Our 9-pellet Law Enforcement Buckshot loading created a new standard of pattern performance with the addition of our one-piece compression section Power Piston® wad column, polymer buffering and hardened 3% antimony pellets. The combination of these advanced features produce patterns 25% tighter than standard buckshot. In addition, 9 pellet Law Enforcement Buckshot is primer and mouth waterproofed for maximum reliability and weather integrity.
Loads Law Enforcement Buckshot
Index IDI No. SPL1200
Ramac 20812
Gauge 12
Shell Length 2-3/4
Dram Equiv. 3-3/4
Velocity (ft/sec) 1325
Number of Pellets 9
Shot Size 00 Buck
Rounds Per Box 25
Boxes Per Case 10

sargenv
11-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Generally, 00 buck is about 8 pellets to the oz.. so a 9 pellet load would be in the 1 1/8 oz range.. standard target loads is what I use for the 9 pellet at "tactical" velocities.. otherwise if I want to go "hot" I go with a 1 1/8 oz field load.. something in the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz payload velocity.. HS6, Herco, and other medium slow burners..

Just Duke
11-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Generally, 00 buck is about 8 pellets to the oz.. so a 9 pellet load would be in the 1 1/8 oz range.. standard target loads is what I use for the 9 pellet at "tactical" velocities.. otherwise if I want to go "hot" I go with a 1 1/8 oz field load.. something in the 3 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz payload velocity.. HS6, Herco, and other medium slow burners..

Would Unique or Clays work? I have two 8 pounders of each.

Mooseman
11-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Here is a 9 pellet loading video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4of8nhYaME&feature=related

I would use Blue Dot personally But...
Here is Hodgons Online date where you select the component shells and powder and the list has many options for Clays powder.

Rich

ovendoctor
11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
+1 blue dot for heavy loads
ill have to do some digging for the data on the 3/4 oz low recoil loads I use

Doc.

Just Duke
11-22-2012, 04:15 PM
I just brought home the STS hulls today I picked up from a local member here. I just need wads now.

shotman
11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
If you load hot just do a few. there is reason for the high brass.
guy on trapshooters has the high brass hulls from time to time

Bren R.
11-22-2012, 04:51 PM
If you load hot just do a few. there is reason for the high brass.
On current manufactured plastic hulls... not really... it's marketing hype... remember, guys shot Wanda and Activ all-plastic hulls for years.

Bren R.

cajun shooter
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Duke, You need to visit the Ballistics Products site. They have very informative books that cover every facet of shotgun loading. You may even consider using a buffer in your loads for the buckshot.
Most reloaders will tell you to stay away fom the factory buckshot and slug hulls when using them for reloads. This is found on the BP site also.

Just Duke
11-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I just checked the Hodgden Loading Data Sight and it says if your using Clays (which I have lots of)and Winchester 209's I either have a choice of WAA12 or Remington Figure 8? It also say 11,000 PSI for a 1200 fps load. Is 12,000 considered high? My platform is a Remington 870.
The figure 8's look flimsy.

Just Duke
12-10-2012, 08:20 AM
:shock:

Just Duke
08-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Thanks for all the help here guys.
Wifey and her GF's ask me to liquidate the shotgun related items and will be moving to the AR platform.
They ended up with black and blue shoulders and one now has a chipped tooth.
Thanks again. :)

W.R.Buchanan
08-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Duke: go to www.trapshooters.com you will be able to find all the STS OF hulls you could ever want for about .03-.05 cents ea.

Also a 12,000 psi shotshell load is going to be an **** kicker load.

If you are looking for a nice light 12 ga. slug load, a regular trap load with a 1 oz ball 69cal .663dia and a felt wad will be moving at about 1100 fps. Same load with 8ea. 00's will be doing The same and can be shot by Wifey all day long in an 870, or M97, or even a Coach Gun. These should be lighter than normal 12 ga. dove/target load due to the lighter payload.

We are doing this for Three Gun Shoots but the loads translate directly for Cowboy shooting as well.

Read some of the posts we are doing on this subject. Lots of info there and none of this is any harder than loading shotshells in the first place. A used MEC 600 off Ebay for <$50 will get you up and running.

Randy

Just Duke
08-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Duke: go to www.trapshooters.com you will be able to find all the STS OF hulls you could ever want for about .03-.05 cents ea.

Also a 12,000 psi shotshell load is going to be an **** kicker load.

If you are looking for a nice light 12 ga. slug load, a regular trap load with a 1 oz ball 69cal .663dia and a felt wad will be moving at about 1100 fps. Same load with 8ea. 00's will be doing The same and can be shot by Wifey all day long in an 870, or M97, or even a Coach Gun. These should be lighter than normal 12 ga. dove/target load due to the lighter payload.

We are doing this for Three Gun Shoots but the loads translate directly for Cowboy shooting as well.

Read some of the posts we are doing on this subject. Lots of info there and none of this is any harder than loading shotshells in the first place. A used MEC 600 off Ebay for <$50 will get you up and running.

Randy

We had more STS hulls than you could ever believe. ;) They just left this week for a new home. ;)

W.R.Buchanan
08-09-2013, 11:36 PM
I did not look at the date of the original posts. :veryconfu

so you're out of shotguns now?

Randy

Just Duke
08-09-2013, 11:42 PM
I did not look at the date of the original posts. :veryconfu

so you're out of shotguns now?
Randy

Wifey and her GF's bought shotguns for home defense. They never factored in recoil of buck shot loads.
As far as my shotgunning ventures I haven't shot a shotgun in 20 years.
Were just not perusing reloading shot shells anymore.
Also for the record I have never competed in an official cowboy match. We purchased leveractions and horse pistols for our proposed ranch purchase and entertained cowboy matches. We went and watched several matches but found absolutely no desire to participate.
I'm not in this for sport. ;)

SuperBlazingSabots
08-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Hello Duke, please delete my picture from your post, you do not have the right to use any ones picture with out first taking permission and or giving the credit to from whom the picture comes from!!

Ajay

Just Duke
08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Hello Duke, please delete my picture from your post, you do not have the right to use any ones picture with out first taking permission and or giving the credit to from whom the picture comes from!!

Ajay

Greetings my good friend. :bigsmyl2:
This is an old post which one were you referring to? There are many pics here. Which one is your?
Is it stored on photobucket? Or is it stored on the server here?

SuperBlazingSabots
08-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Hello Duke, please delete my picture from your post #22, you do not have the right to use any ones picture with out first taking permission and or giving the credit to from whom the picture comes from!!

Ajay

Just Duke
09-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Hello Duke, please delete my picture from your post #22, you do not have the right to use any ones picture with out first taking permission and or giving the credit to from whom the picture comes from!!

Ajay

Ajay my good friend and life long buddy and pal from Europe. I still don't see the post or your pic or your name on the pic.
Maybe one of the mods placated you and deleted your NOT copyrighted picture.
Anyway hello to you friend and good luck to you and your adventure and feel free to relocate where they will let you have a rifle instead of a shotgun.
Friend the midwest is a safe haven for rifle shooters.

dverna
09-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Just a few observations.

First, one of the benefits of reloading is to "tailor" our loads. There is no need for full power loads for self-defense buckshot or slug loads. In fact, commercial "tactical" loads are loaded down so there is less recoil to deal with. This would have been the first thing to do if recoil was an issue.

Second, gun fit affects recoil significantly. I cut down the stock on the 12 ga for my 120 lb girlfriends shotgun. She can shoot a 12 gauge pretty effectively. If she can handle the recoil, almost anyone should be able to. But i do load down for her.

Third - adding a really good recoil pad like the Trapdude Gooey helps a lot.

Fourth - semi-auto's will kick a bit less.

Fifth - pitch will affect how much the gun jumps into the face.

I realize you have shed your 12 ga in favor of AR's so this is of no interest to you buy others may benefit.

I am a BIG advocate of the AR. But is is no 12 ga for up close and personal work. Even a 1000-1100 fps 1 oz slug or buckshot load does a world of hurt at less than 10 yards.