PDA

View Full Version : New with questions.

Bob1911
06-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and was refered from TFL. I live in the south end of CRook county Illanoy. I have been reloading and casting for years but have taken some time off. I have not had a 9mm for years and never did any casting for 9mm.

Here are the questions.

My son and I have taken up Bullseye shooting and I gave him a used Sig P226 for his last birthday and he is using this for the centerfire match. I have the Lyman 358477 and 35891 molds and .357 size dies that I have had for about 31 years. I do not see this combination in any of my manuals including the new Lyman cast handbook. (misplaced my old cast book) I have slugged his bbl @ .356 and I have Bullseye, Unique, 231 and Reddot. I also have a Star 30 MI that I have not slugged yet.

Any load suggestions for bullseye target and suggestions for seating lengths?

Your help is greatly appreciated, sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

buck1
06-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Sorry I dont have a answer for you, but someone should shortly. I just wanted to say WELCOME!!....Buck

axxman928
06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Bob1911,
Welcome aboard. Someone should have an answer for you soon. There is a
good bunch of guys here on this board. A lot of knowledge here.
axxman928

45nut
06-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Welcome to CB Infidel!
I will not pretend to be the eggspurt here but I will add my own .02 for you to peruse.

Regarding the P226, should be a fine choice but you left out or I missed the chambering, guessing the more common 9x19 and not the 357SIG here.
I have not tried the 35891 in a SIG but as it is a wc it would be suited more to a 38special load in one of the S&W target autos and not really a good choice for a 9x19.
The 358477 presents you with a possibility, there should be data in your load books for a 9x19 using a 147gr slug, the nominal weight of the 358477 being a 150gr leaves you well within range of safety using the data beginning at the lower range. Unique would be a fine choice IMHO. Seating depth will be controlled mainly by the magazine and whether this pistol will feed a SWC at all, SIG's are generally very forgiving so that may just work and it would cut clean holes to boot.

I would give it a go, no harm should come of that option.
I imagine someone else will pitch in a bit.

randyrat
06-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Does that p226 have poly/hexogonal rifling similar to the Glock? There may be a problem and may not be. You may have to go with a after market barrel. I believe the poly/hex rifling creates higher pressure than ballard/standard rifling. I have shot lead out of a Glock never had a problem, but others will worn you feverously not to use lead/poly/hex combo.

randyrat
06-17-2007, 07:58 AM
02s worth again..... Stay with the slower powders ie...Unique... Although i would be tempted to check out Hodgdons powders for the 9mm such as;longshot,hs-6,Universal,titegroup..They may be a little faster than unique but put out some velocity with lower pressures. I hope i'm not preaching to the choir..... You want a lower pressure load and still have enough to work the slide. You could find a lighter recoil spring to help with this if needed say for example; you find a nice sweet/accurate load but it stove pipes once in a while. Oh ya one more tid bit...... i would stay away from the SWCs you'll have 5 % or so jam for no reason. Hope this helps some.

Bob1911
06-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info, I looked at the barrel and the slug and they look like normal rifiling. Like my revolvers, 1911, rifles etc.

What I am looking for really is for a couple recipes for these two bullets that I already cast and reassurance that the things I read about high pressure and seating depth will be safe for my only sons firearm. I also would like a recipe for 9mm that compares to the 2.7gr. of bullseye wc load for .38sp.

I thank you for your help.

Bob

TAWILDCATT
06-18-2007, 06:29 PM
the poly rifling does not raise pressure.but needs hard bullets to grip rifling.the pressure rise was because of massive leading which obstucted bore.HI-point would not shot worth a d*m with soft lead.but was tack driver with jacket.