PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Sizer Question

milsurpaddict
11-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Does anyone here use a bullet sizer with their cast boolits. Is it necessary? I am casting boolits for my Makarov, 9mm,40 S&W, 45 acp and my Tokarov.

I have only loaded for my Makarov and shot these and they are great without sizing but I am not sure about the other calibers.

Thanks

Clinebo
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I use the Lee sizer with LLA. Its a simple push thru sizer that's easy to set-up and use.

454PB
11-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Maybe a better question would be is it "required". No, it isn't required as long as the boolit diameter is close enough to seat in the case without deforming and also seal when fired to prevent gas leakage around it.

Most of us mention boolit "fit" a lot. If the boolit is undersized, it will be inaccurate and probably lead the bore. If it is too oversized, it can be damaged when seated in the case, and may not chamber correctly. But, some moulds will drop a boolit that is the proper diameter without sizing......and then it is not required.

Personally, I run all of them through a lubrisizer. It may not change the diameter, but it makes lubrication much easier.

blikseme300
11-17-2012, 06:51 AM
Yes, many of us do use sizers. As pointed out, it is not necessary, but the convenience of use for lubing and getting consistent size boolits makes it highly recommended. The Lee push through has it's place but I prefer using a Star sizer.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

r1kk1
11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
I agree. It depends on the mould and the firearm you are using it in. I use Lee or Lyman lubrisizer or both. I'm not an Alox fan as far as tumble lube but the old Beeswax and Alox formula sticks are available from several vendors. I like different lubes for different applications. Pan lubing opens others possibilities with the Lee sizers or no sizing at all. A star sizer from magma engineering is in my future. They are incredibly fast. I bet JMorris has something automated that is even faster.

Take care

r1kk1

Shiloh
11-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I run all my tumble lube or conventional groove boolits through a LEE push sizer for consistency.
This is if they will be tumble lubed. Other boolits just get run through the lubrisizer.

Shiloh

C.F.Plinker
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
What did your barrels slug at and what are the as-cast diameters of your boolits?

mdi
11-17-2012, 12:42 PM
If the bullet, as cast, is too big, then of course size it. I have a bunch of .44s and they like different diameter bullets, so I cast them all to the largest diameter I need (.432"+), and size as needed for the smaller ones. Some, like my Lee T/L mold, don't need sizing 'cause they drop @ .431"-.432" and shoot best with 45-45-10 and no sizing.

'74 sharps
11-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Probably ok without sizing. I've run many rounds through my 45-70's without. Wanting more consistency at longer ranges, and not wanting to buy another machine, I went with the Lee push through sizing die for about $15, and it does fine. I hand lube my bullets with homemade lube, run them through the die, and they look perfect.

gunoil
11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
i like squooshing em thru and haveing universal size. I use traditional alox till i learn better. My favorite is LEE 102 gr rn. I like to size these.

gwpercle
11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I have used both methods and prefer the lubricator/sizer method. Seats a gas check , sizes to proper dia. and fills grooves with lube in one stroke. Faster and cleaner than any other method. I have gone the as cast, tumble lube route and just didn't care for the way the boolits looked or the iffy diameters from different moulds. My two cents, you asked........gary

RG1911
11-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I, too, prefer the size and lube method. If you have a bunch of bullets to size/lube (such as you shoot IPSC), the Star sizer/lubricator (now from Magma Engineering, I think) is the way to go. My $1.95 (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

Richard

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Does anyone here use a bullet sizer with their cast boolits. Is it necessary? I am casting boolits for my Makarov, 9mm,40 S&W, 45 acp and my Tokarov.

I have only loaded for my Makarov and shot these and they are great without sizing but I am not sure about the other calibers.

Thanks

Depends on your chamber & bore dimensions & the as cast diameter of your bullets .

I try to load the larges diameter cast bullets that I can & still get the ammo to feed , chamber & function .

Try adding some paint thinner and Johnson Paste Wax to your LLA .

God bless
Wyr

MtGun44
11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
+1 on what 454PB said.

Bill

**oneshot**
11-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I prefer to size and lube. For those who pan lube or tumble lube then most of them probably don't size.

Awsar
11-24-2012, 10:17 PM
was given a lyman ideal45 so i size an lube same time its a modern marvel of technology:)
even tho its older then me it still works great as long as i dont screw it up.

ROGER4314
11-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a Lyman 450, RCBS lube/sizer and had one other RCBS unit. I like the convenience of using the sizers to fill the lubrication grooves.

Be careful with your Makarov 9x18 bullet diameters. They are larger bullets than 9x18 and .380 slugs. The diameter is approx .010" larger than 9x19.

Flash

Pooch
11-27-2012, 05:15 PM
I have one Lyman #450 & two Lyman #45's. Great pieces of machinery! A sharp eye & quick fingers can get one for a very reasonable price on ebay. I also have several Lyman push-thru sizers as they work well too. I'm just not a big fan of tumble lubing, sizing, then tumble lubing again. Not to mention that I hate the smell of LLA. I did find that pan lubing is a viable alternative to tumble lube with LLA. Simply pan lube & then run your bullets thru the push-thru & you're done. I use silicone baking pans when pan lubing as they just peel away from the cake.

MT Chambers
11-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I have Stars, Lymans, and RCBS sizers and can think of no better way to lube bullets (and size), any other methods is tedious, slow, and messy.

WyrTwister
11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
I have Stars, Lymans, and RCBS sizers and can think of no better way to lube bullets (and size), any other methods is tedious, slow, and messy.

Respectfully , I find tumble lubing much easier & quicker . Only downside is I have to wait for them to dry .

Some bullets shoot just fine as cast .

If I have to size them or GC them or both , I use the Lee push through dies . I have Lyman sizer , but seldom use it . The Lee dies seem easier and faster , also .

And the Lee dies are inexpensive enough I can buy a die and lap it out to a custom size .

God bless
Wyr

cajun shooter
11-28-2012, 10:45 AM
There are other downsides to the use of the Lee Alox system. The biggest being that it is not usable for any type of Black Powder loading. The next is that the Lee die has a very thin ring at the bottom of the die that is supposed to be at the desired size.
It only sizes with this narrow strip and you have the possibility of a bullet being out of round and not going in a perfect flight.
The other sizers use dies that are the correct dimension for the complete length of the die and they will do a much better job of insuring that a bullet will be concentric.
The standard sizers also only put lube where it is needed and not over the entire bullet.

WyrTwister
11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
There are other downsides to the use of the Lee Alox system. The biggest being that it is not usable for any type of Black Powder loading. The next is that the Lee die has a very thin ring at the bottom of the die that is supposed to be at the desired size.
It only sizes with this narrow strip and you have the possibility of a bullet being out of round and not going in a perfect flight.
The other sizers use dies that are the correct dimension for the complete length of the die and they will do a much better job of insuring that a bullet will be concentric.
The standard sizers also only put lube where it is needed and not over the entire bullet.

I do not do BP .

As for as the other issues , respectfully , I never lost any sleep over them .

If it makes you happy to use a Lube-Sizer , that is good . Certainly nothing wrong with a Lube-Sizer .

God bless
Wyr